Sign in to follow this  
JHamBCalumni

Best Match @ State

I can only speak to the Thomas side of the mat and say it was the most heart stopping roller coaster of a match I’ve been in. But with these 2, they’ve wrestled 6 times head to head this year and every match is like a 106 college match where they both respect each other’s talents. Hats off to them both for putting on a great finals match and for giving both Dad/Coaches something to be very proud of. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gameface said:

I can only speak to the Thomas side of the mat and say it was the most heart stopping roller coaster of a match I’ve been in. But with these 2, they’ve wrestled 6 times head to head this year and every match is like a 106 college match where they both respect each other’s talents. Hats off to them both for putting on a great finals match and for giving both Dad/Coaches something to be very proud of. 

Agree 100%

Just now, matreturn said:

Jordan Bates came to wrestle! That was an exciting final at 138.

That trip back tilt was awesome. He almost pulled it off again. One side note, there was a stalemate called that was extremely questionable. Deck was about to hook Bates' leg and would have secured a takedown. The stalemate was called way too quick. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

That trip back tilt was awesome. He almost pulled it off again. One side note, there was a stalemate called that was extremely questionable. Deck was about to hook Bates' leg and would have secured a takedown. The stalemate was called way too quick. 

Agreed, but the action in that match was superb! Both wrestlers wanted that title.

21 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Agreed! On both statements. You hate it for a kid that a call like that can basically decide a match. It was an awesome match too though. 

15 minutes ago, JHamBCalumni said:

Agreed! On both statements. You hate it for a kid that a call like that can basically decide a match. It was an awesome match too though. 

Agree again!  This was my third state finals with my 9 year old son in tow.  We were treated to some fantastic finals matches.

It seemed to me that stalemates were inconsistent in the way they were called.  Some were called really quick.  Some were way overdue before they were called.  What does the rule say about stalemates?  Not bashing the officials.  I feel like of the last 3 state finals I've watched, this was on par with previous years - nothing egregious, nothing fantastic.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TakeDownFor2 said:

Agree again!  This was my third state finals with my 9 year old son in tow.  We were treated to some fantastic finals matches.

It seemed to me that stalemates were inconsistent in the way they were called.  Some were called really quick.  Some were way overdue before they were called.  What does the rule say about stalemates?  Not bashing the officials.  I feel like of the last 3 state finals I've watched, this was on par with previous years - nothing egregious, nothing fantastic.

I am not sure of the exact wording of the rule off the top of my head, but when I ref, if I see nothing happening for a good 5-10 seconds and you can tell no change of position is imminent (being a former wrestler, you can tell when something is about to happen) then you can call it. It is a judgement call for the most part, and definitely one that usually doesn't affect the outcome of a match. I did notice two other refs go up to the main ref after the 138 final and talk about something.

Eckman.... WOW. That kid had a very tough loss to Spencer early on.. But the way he was able to stay composed and beat good kid after good kid to bounce back and get 3rd was a awesome performance. But I have to say the best match was the 106 finals... 

The Broom Stick at the finals move at 138lbs is illegal. According to NFHS rules 7-1-5n an "The arm is used to block the leg prior to going to the mat. The opponents leg cannot be 'cut out' by a kick."

This move is also illegal in college. It is dangerous if the opponent resists. Refs missed it. Sometimes kids get away with it. As what happened at State finals 138lbs.

It would only be illegal if he went backwards with it.  If he rolled forward then it is legal.  We were to far away and it happened to fast for us to tell which direction he went. 

Going backwards would be considered a "cut-back".  rolling forward would be considered a tilt or roll. 

54 minutes ago, MackDaddy said:

The Broom Stick at the finals move at 138lbs is illegal. According to NFHS rules 7-1-5n an "The arm is used to block the leg prior to going to the mat. The opponents leg cannot be 'cut out' by a kick."

This move is also illegal in college. It is dangerous if the opponent resists. Refs missed it. Sometimes kids get away with it. As what happened at State finals 138lbs.

If you are talking about the first 5 point move Bates did, that was definitely legal. It was hit multiple times throughout the state tournament and it is a great way to get a takedown when an opponent has a single leg and you have a whizzer in.

1 minute ago, grappler-of-old said:

How is this any different than a cut-back?? The defensive wrestler cannot protect himself from the fall. 

I was taught this move in 2004, and I have seen it used countless times since then. When I ref, that's an easy takedown and most of the time nearfall. It is legal, and also an awesome move. The legs won't be put in a position of danger. It isn't a hard slam to the mat. The offensive wrestler has is non-whizzer hand behind the knee closest to him, and the leg that is in the single leg is behind the other knee. Both knees of the defensive wrestler naturally bend the way they should, not hyperextending the opposite way. Every coach should teach this move to their team. 

I don't see how the referees and the coaches missed that!!! Incompetence. Plus Bates didn't twice. Very strange. I guess if you get away with it and so many times like Bates says in a local newspaper. 

This is a dangerous takedown that can result in injury--no defense to it. This is not a bad call about stalemate or stalling which also happened in the match.  This is a very bad move.  It is called a scissors sweep in Jujitsu. Also illegal in competitions. I hope someone comes up with the video.

4 hours ago, MackDaddy said:

I don't see how the referees and the coaches missed that!!! Incompetence. Plus Bates didn't twice. Very strange. I guess if you get away with it and so many times like Bates says in a local newspaper. 

This is a dangerous takedown that can result in injury--no defense to it. This is not a bad call about stalemate or stalling which also happened in the match.  This is a very bad move.  It is called a scissors sweep in Jujitsu. Also illegal in competitions. I hope someone comes up with the video.

What was the explanation when the coaches took it to the table?

The Madison County coaches said nothing to the table. Apparently ignorant of what they saw. One Madison coach said he didn't do the broomstick,, but couldn't explain what he did. Strange  thing to say since Bates did the illegal leg cut-back twice.

If you read the Bates newspaper article Bates admitted to it. I give the Boyle county coaches the benefit of the doubt on not knowing the broomstick was illegal. However, I am curious what the Boyle coaches have to say now. Hard to fathom that the paid Refs and coaches don't know the rules. Coaches and Referees need better training and testing. 

In response to during the illegal or legal move. I feel this has moved from a move to attacking a young man's moral character. Which is simply wrong. He would never do anything immoral unethical. He is a young man who has worked tirelessly and sacrificed just as the other kids have. His character should never be attacked which is what I believe this conversation has now shifted to. This is coming from people who know nothing about this young man. If they did they would know he is a Christian young man who strives every day to honor God and the plan He has for him. Think its a shame for the effect this could play on both of the competitors. I think we should keep our opinions to ourselves. I think his coach would be happy to explain what the referee explained to him when a former state champ hit the same move on him his sophomore year. Except for a modified version which was utilized state finals.