Sign in to follow this  
bluegrassbrawler

2019 state tournament firsts

Correct me if I’m wrong, but there seemed to be a lot of first time occurrences at this year’s state tournament. Boyle County had a state champ, pikeville had its first placer. Was this trigg country and grant county’s first finalist? What were some other firsts?

3 minutes ago, bluegrassbrawler said:

Letcher County had state Placer in the mid 2000s. Dakota Kincer.

I was unaware of Boyle County or trigg county having a state champion or finalist. That was before my time!

Was unsure of Letcher.

Was any of the state tourney regulars seeing another decrease in attendance?

First to have 2 girls? Team with 6 finalists? 8 in the top 3? Kid go from jv to state champ in 1 season ? 5 freshman in finals? 4 champs successfully defending titles? 4 finals the same as regional finals? 

• Upvote 1

Definitely need to work on Finals....we have the absolute WORST finals in the country.... no other state does it as poorly as we do....no excitement... and nobody stays....its truly pathetic....

SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE KHSAA !!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Have you ever seen WV states?  KY blows them away. I will say that when the state tournament was held in Frankfort, it was amazing. Horse Park,  not even close,  but much, much better than WV.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ThirdRound said:

Definitely need to work on Finals....we have the absolute WORST finals in the country.... no other state does it as poorly as we do....no excitement... and nobody stays....its truly pathetic....

SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE KHSAA !!!

It wasn't special at all. They need to bring someone in. 

• Upvote 1

When the finals were moved to Frankfort, Jack Cline modelled them after the Indiana State Finals. They were really special for the kids and the fans. That kind of thing is not too difficult to organize. It is just a matter of the KHSAA allowing someone to do so.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, mcx said:

Not sure the KHSAA wants to take the tlme to make the finals special. We seem to discuss this every year.

It was said that they weren’t even going to roll up the mats(like they didn’t last year) and have just one finals mat due to lack of help. So the coaches took it upon themselves, in Suits and all, to break down the floor to create the best finals environment that you can have on a dirt floor in Kentucky. These kids and parents, that put so much time in, deserve more from our KHSAA orginazation than the bare minimum. I’m sure Kentucky basketball isn’t treated this way. There’s no doubt if you’d just turn it over to the coaches association with people like the Ervin’s in charge, this would be a show that we all would be praising!! 

Glad that Coach Dettwiller organized a crew of coaches to set up the mats. It was the least we could do. But I guess that is par for the course for the KHSAA. Do the minimum required. 

This may be an ignorant statement, so forgive me if it is. But, has there ever been talk of a coach’s union/association? There are quite a few issues that need to be addressed that I believe coaches have a better understanding of and could come to swifter solutions than the KHSAA. There are coaches in Kentucky that grew up and wrestled in various states. They’re a melting pot of ideas to help this state improve if there was a forum for their voices to be heard and taken seriously. If this already exists, please let me know.

7 hours ago, gameface said:

It was said that they weren’t even going to roll up the mats(like they didn’t last year) and have just one finals mat due to lack of help. So the coaches took it upon themselves, in Suits and all, to break down the floor to create the best finals environment that you can have on a dirt floor in Kentucky. These kids and parents, that put so much time in, deserve more from our KHSAA orginazation than the bare minimum. I’m sure Kentucky basketball isn’t treated this way. There’s no doubt if you’d just turn it over to the coaches association with people like the Ervin’s in charge, this would be a show that we all would be praising!! 

My fiance who was attending her second state title thought it was amazing seeing all of the coaches out there rolling up the mats. She asked me if that was normal and I said I hadn't seen that happen before. Kudos to you all. We need an intervention to make these finals better. We can't have the Dungeon back, but this venue needs to go. I loved the four mat system, kids might not like making weight 3 days in a row, but it is easier to follow the matches that way. 

KHSAA decreed that application of body paint in the restrooms will not be tolerated......chanting and clapping will be permitted, on a limited basis.

1 hour ago, 1555 said:

KHSAA decreed that application of body paint in the restrooms will not be tolerated......chanting and clapping will be permitted, on a limited basis.

Ha ha ha. Funny but unfortunately all too accurate. 

I believe this may be beating a dead horse, as years past have indicated, but how do we try to get the ball rolling?  Contact Mike Breen? Contact Sarah Bridenbaugh? Is there a board of coaches who would do so? (There is not even a Sports Advisory Committee roster listed for wrestling) Honestly, if they gave us one hour (maybe less) to set-up before the finals we could do something great for the kids and spectators.

• Like 1