Sign in to follow this  
DrBaker

Large School State Duals

11 minutes ago, Chris Duke said:

Keep it the way it is to allow the small schools to compete against each other.  Crown only on champ and allow 2v2, 3v3 from the 2 sides and on down the line.  If done this way everyone will get 5 matches. 

I love that idea. The catch is when a team doesn't want matches, they just want a trophy. 

• Upvote 1

I for one think there is no wrong answer here. If you want to wrestle then wrestle if not go home with your kids on a high note. You came to that tourney with one goal to win a State Title you did that; mission accomplished great job JC and congrats to you Union County great guys, team and happy to consider them friend/. Use the win to get ready for what really matters all year long Individual Regionals and the chance to win the overall State Title. If they left this tourney happy healthy and with a title then they are in better shape than a lot of other teams who may have faced injuries. Coaching is more than just wrestling every match possible its an emotional sport and ride that wave while you can and let your kids enjoy what they earned. If the powers want to make it a thing to wrestle big school/little school one title then set it up in 2 sides of one bracket 1 Little and 1 big with one champ or set up an alternate Saturday a week or 2 after State to have them in a off-season dual winner take all at least that way both teams gets to enjoy their success they had earned. Great job to all the teams that made it that far and to UNION and JOHNSON CENTRAL for the win. Congrats Champs.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, DrBaker said:

I love that idea. The catch is when a team doesn't want matches, they just want a trophy. 

If all they want is a trophy it would be a runner up trophy.  One champ, one runner up.  After that it’s 2nd place small school, 2nd place big school and on down.  

• Upvote 1

I am really confused.   People you can't have it both ways.  Larue made a living off of dual team wins.  They forfeited out when they could not win or could not lose.  Regardless if I like it or not that is part of the game.  Football does it all the time with the remaining time on the clock, Basketball foul for the last seems like 5 minutes of every game. 

THE MAIN GOAL IS TO WIN.  And Johnson Central did just that they won the Large School title.  Nothing is truly gained by wrestling Union.  Of course they are there to win a trophy.  If not then why give one out. Don't kid yourself.  Every team goes to the state duels, to try and win a trophy.  If you tell me you don't believe that then I think you are lying to yourself and you actually don't believe it.  (why do you think they bump people around) otherwise send your 14 varsity guys and keep them in their wt. classes and go)

Like my old coach told me.  Yes we are here to have fun, but its always more fun when you win and bring home the hardware.  

7 hours ago, panthers said:

Lets face it the overall Champion is Sat Feb 16th.

Ridiculous statement. Ask all the other teams that won a state duals tournament what they think. 

Union and Johnson central both won and deserve all the accolades. But part of the reason the current format was setup the way it is so that the option to wrestle champion vs champion is available. 

My take on this situation is that there is a precedent set that the large school and small champs always wrestle each other. However, its not a requirement. I understand the backlash JC receives for the decision they made, but should they deserve it, imo no. They made a choice to not wrestle which is not a requirement, but maybe it will come back to bite them at the big show. As a coach, you want to seek out the best competition, look where your guys made mistakes, and fix them. That’s how you get better. If JC doesn’t want to take advantage of that opportunity, fine, but there is a chance that it will hurt them in the long run. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HawkeyeX125 said:

My take on this situation is that there is a precedent set that the large school and small champs always wrestle each other. However, its not a requirement. I understand the backlash JC receives for the decision they made, but should they deserve it, imo no. They made a choice to not wrestle which is not a requirement, but maybe it will come back to bite them at the big show. As a coach, you want to seek out the best competition, look where your guys made mistakes, and fix them. That’s how you get better. If JC doesn’t want to take advantage of that opportunity, fine, but there is a chance that it will hurt them in the long run. 

Their decision to not wrestle Union was to "build toward a state title run". It's not like they would have lost their large school state duals title. They even give away separate Large and Small school titles at individual state, but people only remember the team who won. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeX125 said:

This is probably the most logical thought yet. I can understand both sides of this but as a former coach this statement rings true. I always sought after the competition that was the toughest and that I might see later in districts or state. I felt I could better prepare my kids if I saw a kid more than once a year. I don't fault what JC did because their coach has his teams best interest in mind. We don't know the team chemistry there but he does. Great job to both teams and look for a great state tourney from all teams.

Not suggesting it’s right, wrong, or indifferent, but it looks like Johnson Central jumped out to big leads in their duals, and forfeited the rest of the weights once the dual(s) was sealed. Maybe they’re attempting to mitigate the risk of injury (which has bit them in the past). I know quite a few kids have been playing football since July. They made it to the state championship in December and immediately started wrestling season the following week. They’re the only team in the state that has had to deal with that kind of schedule. It would have been interesting to see how the dual would have gone since Union’s dual with Graham was cancelled. The drama leading into Horse Park would have been something we’ve not had in a while.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HawkeyeX125 said:

If JC doesn’t want to take advantage of that opportunity, fine, but there is a chance that it will hurt them in the long run. 

Maybe coach Matney believes that Union would have benefited much more from the dual than they would have.  If he truly believes this then he made the right call.

Congratulations JC! Way to get it done. #GreatTeam! So many programs dealing with injury's I guess Coach Matney didn't believe the risk was worth the reward. Coach wanted to get his kids to the state tournament healthy. Its to late in the year to risk injury in a duel that doesn't count. If you asked the JC kids if they wanted to wrestle again? I'm sure they all would have strapped on the head gear and been ready to roll. You can't take anything away from JC win. If you have any negative feelings they should be directed at JC coach? Not the kids. I think JC coach made the right decision. Stay healthy and get ready for state!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DamonMBarnes said:

Not sure who is in charge but 2001 is incorrect.  LaRue beat St X in the championships and not Woodford County.

Working on getting it fixed