Sign in to follow this  
DrBaker

Large School State Duals

30 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Pretty weak to see JC not accept the challenge from Union County. First time a team declined. What is their reasoning behind this? 

Just curious... why the negativity toward JC. Nothing week about winning a duals meet. Personally I thought all the teams looked good. Ky wrestling is looking bright. And BTW, the tournament was well ran. Thank you to all the workers that helped put it on. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, REscalera said:

I was referring to you questioning Madison Central's seed? 

54 minutes ago, Beefstew said:

Christian had the opportunity to wrestle Johnson Central but they were defeated by Moore in round two. I believe they got it correct. How would’ve you seeded it?

To knock out 2 birds with one stone. It’s not about JC. It’s about not following the rules set forth and voted on by our coach’s association. JC would have clearly won today regardless of where they fell in the pool. That not even the point. Beefstew, you ask me how I would have seeded it, clearly my answer would be by the criteria that was already in place. Would it have changed the outcome? Probably not. I haven’t cared from the start about the outcome, it has always been about following the rules. That’s all.

34 minutes ago, matreturn said:

Anyone know why Woodford took a forfeit against Oldham County?

Woodford and Oldham just wrestled a week or so ago in their Sectional and they will meet again at Regionals. I think it speaks volumes about Woodford and Oldham to be from the same Sectional and Region and consistently place top 4 at State Duals. We actually wrestled each other in the State Duals finals a few years back. 

Woodford forfeited to Oldham because we have battled injuries all season and had more injuries occur in the semis against Moore. Wasn’t worth it. We will see them at regionals. Call it what you want but as a coach my athletes well being and health is more important than a dual against Oldham. Missing Yost and Cardwell already hurt, but now with more kids banged up, I had to make the call. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the explanation. Couldn’t make it out to the State Duals today and just saw results on track. Curious was all. Both programs are exceptional. 

• Upvote 1

Why would you wrestle Union? What other sport in the world do you win a title then go off and put it on the line? Good for JC, use the the win to build off of and go for state team title. Wrestling Union does nothing for the team and proves nothing. "Hm...we just won let me go wrestle Union, that will really help my team for state"!

You want Union to wrestle the winner, remove the small/large title and have them wrestle some tougher programs. Prior to the split, Union wasn't winning state duals or state, they were around, up and coming but now who challenges them in small school?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

7 minutes ago, takedownartist1 said:

Why would you wrestle Union? What other sport in the world do you win a title then go off and put it on the line? Good for JC, use the the win to build off of and go for state team title. Wrestling Union does nothing for the team and proves nothing. "Hm...we just won let me go wrestle Union, that will really help my team for state"!

You want Union to wrestle the winner, remove the small/large title and have them wrestle some tougher programs. Prior to the split, Union wasn't winning state duals or state, they were around, up and coming but now who challenges them in small school?

They did win the duals right before the split. They also had 5-6 state tournament titles by the time of the split. They don’t shy away from competition. Both teams are already there in the same gym. I imagine they’d rather wrestle in the large school division if possible to get better competition. Why not challenge your team against union or johnson central. They’ve challenged every year and the large school winner has never backed down. Looks bad on JC’s end. I know the Union guys were wanting the challenge. Just my two cents. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree, why would you want to wrestle Union? Wrestling them proves that this Big School/Small School stuff is a joke. KY IS NOT BIG ENOUGH!! I’ve said that from the get go. There were some coaches that really pushed hard for that small school crap back in the day hoping they could win a trophy. Instead, Union County has dominated the State duals and the State Tournament for a while now. I respect the hell out of Union Co. Do I want to beat them, absolutely. Are they the best in KY? No question about it. 

• Upvote 1

Oh so it's a requirement now? No other sport does somn like that. You think the coach is more concerned with Union or building towards state title run?? No brainier.

Coaches do what's best for his guys/team and putting them in a good position. Applaud the decision. Go wrestle region 6 see if you qualify all 14 guys, let me know those results 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, takedownartist1 said:

Oh so it's a requirement now? No other sport does somn like that. You think the coach is more concerned with Union or building towards state title run?? No brainier.

Coaches do what's best for his guys/team and putting them in a good position. Applaud the decision. Go wrestle region 6 see if you qualify all 14 guys, let me know those results 

This is comical. Region 1 isn’t some lowly region where anyone who makes weight and has a heartbeat makes state. That’s beside the point. Wouldn’t you think putting your guys against some top ranked wrestlers at a dual like that would benefit your guys more than skipping the opportunity? I guess forfeiting out 4-5 classes in duals after a significant lead makes your guys battle tested to “build towards a state title run”. It’s a bold strategy, but you have to love that attitude and competitiveness. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, takedownartist1 said:

Why would you take a loss? F that. Tuck tail and run. Seems logical. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, takedownartist1 said:

Based on what I saw today they would qualify all 14 guys in Region 6

• Upvote 3

Every year so far the small school champ challenges the big school. It has been accepted every other time. It’s a great matchup and a great show. Seemed to be fun and in no way insulting. If Union would have known it wouldn’t happen, they would have pushed to be included in the big school division. 

16 hours ago, DocHoliday said:

Just curious... why the negativity toward JC. Nothing week about winning a duals meet. Personally I thought all the teams looked good. Ky wrestling is looking bright. And BTW, the tournament was well ran. Thank you to all the workers that helped put it on. 

I agree with you Doc. Nothing weak about that. No matter what Johnson Central does people are going to hate. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A coaches job is to prepare wrestlers to win every match. It’s also their job to wrestle as many opponents that are capable of defeating said wrestlers. If you don’t wrestle the best, chances are you’ll never be the best. Coach must challenge his kids. Undefeated regular season means zero come state. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I thought wrestling was supposed to  create  boys to men. Now it’s looking like a lot of crying on here. I’m just going by reading all the comments and never seen grown men cry like this just move on and try to be better next season. Heck thats all you can do it’s not going to change anything. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Looking at JC roster it may be the best lineup they’ve ever had. Why not test the waters and wrestle Union Co. Chance to beat them head to head and carry that momentum into regions and state? Not many teams have been able to compete. Would have been a great dual to watch. But.....I guess we will never know, who was the best head to head. How cool would it be if they were to wrestle “Main Event” style at a neutral site sometime before regions??

• Upvote 1

Or just do away with big school and small school? Maintain the same sections and maybe make it a 2 day tournament? It’s not like a small town high school with 75 kids enrolled aren’t already competing against big city schools with 2,000+ enrollees when it comes to individual titles.

• Like 1

yeah scrap the two divisions and go back to 16 team (top two teams from each region).  it was created to spread the sport, mainly at the smaller schools and give them a chance to say "we competed at state duals."  it was worth it as we've seen small programs flourish.  now everyone has had a shot to finish runner-up to Union, clearly the best program of the last decade. so go back to the easier and less controversial set-up.  just my two cents.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Keep it the way it is to allow the small schools to compete against each other.  Crown only on champ and allow 2v2, 3v3 from the 2 sides and on down the line.  If done this way everyone will get 5 matches. 

• Like 2