Sign in to follow this  
Braves coach

Woodland Duals

35 minutes ago, Braves coach said:

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly....

The Good- Getting all these kids some good matches two weeks before regionals 

The Bad- The referees. Pretty terrible all day. From being to slow ( or lazy to bend over)  to call pins quickly or to slow to call potentially dangerous or just seeming like they had never seen a wrestling match or understood the rules it was pretty bad.  And before any body jumps me for criticizing them, yes I have done the job and understand it is difficult.

the ugly - 18 teams and three mats. Four or 5 matches in 12 hours.  Not the best way to grow our sport. At The middle school level it is really tough to have parents sit in the gym for 12 hours and watch the kids Wrestle four times.Even if we don’t lose the kids because of days like this we definitely lose the parents

• Upvote 3

Well said Alf!!!!

I agree with everything said. I will pile it on the refs.  Not understanding the rules, illegal holds caused injury which should have been avoided.  Paying refs by the hour does not promote them to keep a dual tourney moving. 

No it doesn’t. Why take twenty minute breaks between duals? Especially when you have an extra ref? It was known at he beginning of the day that we in for a long one. Where was the leadership to crack the whip and keep this thing moving? This was the worst officiating I’ve seen.  I even saw a potentially dangerous chicken wing penalized for a point!  I mean really? Doesn’t matter what you are doing whether it is digging ditches, managing, or officiating, when you take someone’s money to do a job you should give a hundred percent. I didn’t see that yesterday. I saw refs who looked like they wanted to any where but at Woodland from the first whistle. It’s pretty bad when you have to hold a pin for 10 seconds to give ref time to slug his way to the mat to call it. This is especially bad in duel where ever point counts.

Here’s my opinion,  ref’s have been a problem for a while now. If you want me to put it bluntly they need 2 refs per mat. 1 in front and one in back of the wrestlers. Obviously that comes with more expense and the availability of refs in general. In which here in our state there is a lack of them. On the middle school level we need more experienced knowledgeable refs. As far as tournament being ran, what do you personally do when teams show up unannounced? Would you like to just tell them and there Parent’s to go home after they drove for more then an hour to get there? I thought it went pretty well, I personally stepped up and made our mat go straight through with no breaks and got 15 duals done on one mat in 9 hours. A typical dual with teams having full line ups takes about an hour a dual. This wasn’t my tournament, but I stepped up and helped push it along. I’ve been to Duals where we started wrestling at 10am and didn’t get done until 9pm. It happens. With the lack of events around our State this year, everyone is hurting for mat time. Our kids got matches in that were competitive. It wasn’t ideal, but Woodland accommodated every team that came. 

Hey. I get it. I love that 19 teams wanted to compete. Just sucks we dont have the facilities or referees to run these tournaments safely  and in a manageable time frame. State duals are going to be very competitive and fun to win.

2 hours ago, twenhofelcoach said:

Now let’s watch some wrestling on espn2!!,

3 hours ago, twenhofelcoach said:

Here’s my opinion,  ref’s have been a problem for a while now. If you want me to put it bluntly they need 2 refs per mat. 1 in front and one in back of the wrestlers. Obviously that comes with more expense and the availability of refs in general. In which here in our state there is a lack of them. On the middle school level we need more experienced knowledgeable refs. As far as tournament being ran, what do you personally do when teams show up unannounced? Would you like to just tell them and there Parent’s to go home after they drove for more then an hour to get there? I thought it went pretty well, I personally stepped up and made our mat go straight through with no breaks and got 15 duals done on one mat in 9 hours. A typical dual with teams having full line ups takes about an hour a dual. This wasn’t my tournament, but I stepped up and helped push it along. I’ve been to Duals where we started wrestling at 10am and didn’t get done until 9pm. It happens. With the lack of events around our State this year, everyone is hurting for mat time. Our kids got matches in that were competitive. It wasn’t ideal, but Woodland accommodated every team that came. 

I wish we where on your mat then. Finished our second dual at 5 and was tolded that our next one would be 4 matches away.