REscalera

NUWAY National Duals

Was Kentucky prohibited from entering a team into this National dual that's being held in Louisville this weekend? Teams came from as far away as California Iowa Pennsylvania and many other states but not one team from Kentucky. Hard to comprehend.

I posted about this back in October.

Lack of clubs affiliated with NUWAY in our state is what prevented KY teams from attending. This was a "state-based" National Dual Tournament. In order to compete, the entire team must be made up of wrestlers from that state. Maybe sometime later down the road when there is more interest. I believe the NUWAY directors thought this would spark more interest from the KY wrestling community and eventually bring more KY wrestlers to some of their events.

• Like 1

For the record, I am currently speaking with OHWAY’s Director about the process to get KYWAY going. This is another opportunity, just like USA Wrestling, for our kids and for wrestling to grow in the Commonwealth. At the NUWAY individual state-based tournament, out of 323 wrestlers, only 6....yes, 6 Kentucky wrestlers participated, to my knowledge.

Either way, we will grow!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I just didn’t feel like paying $45 for another card (NUWAY) for my wrestler and then purchasing another coaches card cause my USAW card isn’t good enough and then entry fee and then I’m in it for about $150 for one tournament. Especially since I already have to pay all that for a USAW card for my wrestler to compete here in Kentucky. 

• Upvote 3

I think you should do some research on Track and Flo and you will see theres alot of KY kids branching out to bigger out of state tournaments with 32 man brackets l for one take my son to as many big tournaments as possible, looking for better  competition... to say we are scared of 16 man brackets is Ridiculous

• Upvote 2

44 dad my post is pointed at the fact that for some reason Every tournament we go to breaks down brackets to no larger than 16! As a matter of fact the last five tournaments I have put my son into he has won his bracket and so has another kid same weight same tournament same age group yet they have never wrestled! And this weekend it’s happening again Ferncreek same tournament same weight same age group different brackets so they don’t exceed 16 man brackets. I was also told that is the same case for the state tournament they will have three or four “state champions” for the same weight same age! It is crazy to me! 

51 minutes ago, Shamwow9 said:

44 dad my post is pointed at the fact that for some reason Every tournament we go to breaks down brackets to no larger than 16! As a matter of fact the last five tournaments I have put my son into he has won his bracket and so has another kid same weight same tournament same age group yet they have never wrestled! And this weekend it’s happening again Ferncreek same tournament same weight same age group different brackets so they don’t exceed 16 man brackets. I was also told that is the same case for the state tournament they will have three or four “state champions” for the same weight same age! It is crazy to me! 

Sounds like your son is a youth wrestler. KY is not “afraid” of bigger brackets. They break the brackets up like that for a few reasons. The first is to get as many kids as possible mat time. The second is that most youth tournaments  are one day events. If you have 32 man or bigger, brackets you could have kids in the consolations wrestling 6,7, maybe even 8 times in one day. Also it is a time issue. Youth tournaments are typically run by all volunteers. Every one wants to get kids mat time, but they also don’t want to be in gym for any longer than they have to on their day off (Sunday).

• Upvote 1

#KentuckyStrong #300

On 1/10/2019 at 6:41 PM, Shamwow9 said:

I think KY wrestlers were scared to wrestle there! brackets were bigger than 16 man and we all know we can’t have that! 

My son and his teammates compete in Nuway individuals competitions and other AAU. and some that don't do track... Like TOC and flow... Nobody is skeeered of competition... To suggest Ky kids don't go out of state to compete is not a fair statement ...But I agree it is unfortunate we had a NUWAY tournament in Kentucky and we didn't have a team to represent...  Maybe next time.. I never heard about this event until now.. It is what it is.. It would have been fun to see how Ky did tho.

• Upvote 1

I could be wrong? But I think Lauren Walton was the 1st female to ever Win Dixie Nationals... Not sure? But either way.. Congrats to her and Bryant Been for winning Dixie!  Way to represent for KY!  My son took 4th, I will take it.. Last time it was a DNP.. So Ky is getting better all across the state! Honestly we all need each other, I root for any KY kid that competes out of state to do well.. That's the only way to get better.. Iron sharpen Iron.. The tougher we are on each other.. The better KY gets.. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/10/2019 at 6:41 PM, Shamwow9 said:

I think KY wrestlers were scared to wrestle there! brackets were bigger than 16 man and we all know we can’t have that! 

I do think that some parents are scared of the blemishes on trackwrestling if their “Lil Johnny” gets his rear end handed to him by an Ohio or Pennsylvania kid. You know they’re all about the stars on the track profile. I find it extremely interesting that some of our best wrestlers (ranked Kentucky kids) will compete on Sundays in YOUTH tournaments in Kentucky but will only be spectators in tough events like NUWAY’s tournament in Louisville. I literally spoke to one parent as to why his son (a ranked Kentucky wrestler) wasn’t representing Kentucky in the NUWAY event...his response “I didn’t want to pay for a NUWAY membership and a USA Wrestling card too.” 

REALLY??? It’s $17 for a NUWAY card man! Your kid would have been awesome to have compete against some of these PA kids. The NUWAY event’s spectator fee for adults was $25 ($31 for coaches - no NUWAY Card needed). For an extra $23, his wrestler and himself as the coach could have competed at this extremely competitive event.

But no....I’m sure these type of parents will continue to bring Lil Johnny’s to all of our Sunday YOUTH events, dominate, and continue to stroke their ego instead of represent Kentucky Wrestling on a national platform AT A HOME-STATE EVENT!!!

Shame on the parent, not the kid.

In my opinion.

• Upvote 3