Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2018/2019 - December 24

Merry Christmas All!!!  I hope everyone has a happy and healthy holiday with family and friends.

Most of the rankings are starting to settle in, but with Christmas comes many wrestlers favorite gift of the 2 lb "growth" allowance.  With that I will start the new year ranking kids where they are competing (still quite a few kids I hear will be dropping).  Unfortunately, a LOT of coaches/teams are not updating results in track at all, so there are a ton of results that I don't have.  Huge thanks to coaches like Coach Fleming and Coach Leavell and a few others who go above and beyond to keep me up to date.  Thanks guys!  Still a few brackets I need to review from the last week or so, but a lot of shakeups throughout the weights.

Rankings_18_19_1224v2.pdf

1 hour ago, bjjwrestler said:

Zach Pledger is 138

Pledger is going to be a tough go for anyone this year. He trained his butt off this offseason. I really like the way he wrestles. Scrappy! I’d say top 5 at 132, 138 or 145. Tough kid. 

Hope this helps, couple of views from WCI.

106lbs Chapman is real deal he handles a really tough Oliveras who has some quality wins under his belt.

113lbs Really stinks we didn't get to see Fowler wrestle in the finals. He looked great all day. Herron from NH is friggin tough and notches his 2nd consecutive win over Morgan. 

120lbs Mattingly is still impressive, Herron now at 120 has a great tournament but struggles against the Senior. 

126lbs Hoppes now at 126 has a great tournament and beat Wells in a barn burner and Peyton beats Villums pretty convincingly. Connor Dutton wrestling here, don't think he is making it to 106.

132lbs Yost over Merrit, best match of the night. Yost looked like he suffered a dislocated shoulder early and puts on a gutsy performance. Rider beats Garcia twice was impressive too.

138lbs Insko looked impressive over Pierce, looks like his cardio is getting better. Dylan Preston at 138, I will be quite surprised if that kids gets to 126, he is massive.

145lbs Conner looked good that kid is dangerous and Hudgins was mean as hell and battled back to take 3rd. 

152lbs 2nd best match of the night, Giannone is really something has a great motor, never out of position and comes right after you. Andreoni's conditioning is not where it should be, but that should be fixed come February. 152 should be interesting come state.

160lbs Coleman wrestled well the whole tournament but ran into a brick in the finals against a WV kid. 

170lbs Stevens looked great, pinned Fuller and won a tight one against GA kid.

182lbs Abren and Blanton was a fun match, Abren had a couple of opportunities to win it but Blanton had some great defense to win a close one. Blanton I think could have ran away with it if he pushed the pace the whole match. Mason Hall looking good too.

195lbs Orneleas over Deasal really wasn't a surprise, there were several weird stalling calls in this match. These two wrestle a lot like each other, just good defense and waiting for someone to make a mistake.

220lbs Bussell looked great and was heads above everyone else at the tournament.

285lbs Shelton looked like a man here, great handfighting, great positioning, really offensive for a heavyweight and has several top ten wins recently.

Christian County had an excellent showing, gonna be a dangerous tournament team in February, McCracken as well, Woodford still hasn't put there full team out there yet due to injuries. 

• Upvote 3

On 12/30/2018 at 9:47 PM, WrasslinCoach said:

Hope this helps, couple of views from WCI.

106lbs Chapman is real deal he handles a really tough Oliveras who has some quality wins under his belt.

113lbs Really stinks we didn't get to see Fowler wrestle in the finals. He looked great all day. Herron from NH is friggin tough and notches his 2nd consecutive win over Morgan. 

120lbs Mattingly is still impressive, Herron now at 120 has a great tournament but struggles against the Senior. 

126lbs Hoppes now at 126 has a great tournament and beat Wells in a barn burner and Peyton beats Villums pretty convincingly. Connor Dutton wrestling here, don't think he is making it to 106.

132lbs Yost over Merrit, best match of the night. Yost looked like he suffered a dislocated shoulder early and puts on a gutsy performance. Rider beats Garcia twice was impressive too.

138lbs Insko looked impressive over Pierce, looks like his cardio is getting better. Dylan Preston at 138, I will be quite surprised if that kids gets to 126, he is massive.

145lbs Conner looked good that kid is dangerous and Hudgins was mean as hell and battled back to take 3rd. 

152lbs 2nd best match of the night, Giannone is really something has a great motor, never out of position and comes right after you. Andreoni's conditioning is not where it should be, but that should be fixed come February. 152 should be interesting come state.

160lbs Coleman wrestled well the whole tournament but ran into a brick in the finals against a WV kid. 

170lbs Stevens looked great, pinned Fuller and won a tight one against GA kid.

182lbs Abren and Blanton was a fun match, Abren had a couple of opportunities to win it but Blanton had some great defense to win a close one. Blanton I think could have ran away with it if he pushed the pace the whole match. Mason Hall looking good too.

195lbs Orneleas over Deasal really wasn't a surprise, there were several weird stalling calls in this match. These two wrestle a lot like each other, just good defense and waiting for someone to make a mistake.

220lbs Bussell looked great and was heads above everyone else at the tournament.

285lbs Shelton looked like a man here, great handfighting, great positioning, really offensive for a heavyweight and has several top ten wins recently.

Christian County had an excellent showing, gonna be a dangerous tournament team in February, McCracken as well, Woodford still hasn't put there full team out there yet due to injuries. 

I made it over to watch day 2 and this is a good summary. Some very interesting matchups and results. Lots of twists and turns already this season. 

Doesn't look like Ryan is in a hurry to leave Chattanooga. He is 3-1 on the day! Looks like new rankings will have to wait for a little while longer. Keep it up Ryan!

16 hours ago, hybrid said:

Doesn't look like Ryan is in a hurry to leave Chattanooga. He is 3-1 on the day! Looks like new rankings will have to wait for a little while longer. Keep it up Ryan!

He was repping the Kentucky singlet last match! 

On 1/1/2019 at 11:49 PM, thewrestlingguru said:

Any noticeable undefeateds left?? Like anybody in the top 5 from each weight class still undefeated?

A few at every weight. 

106- Devin Armstead, Nolan Banfield?

113-Brendan Pye, 

120- Mattingly 

126-Thomas Deck, Noah Kirkman?

132-Yost, Cowan, 

138- Gentry Deck, Evion Thornton

145- Lawrence, Keldon Tilley?

152- TKC, Bryce Moberly

160- Zane Brown, Jarred Phillips, Zack Higdon?

170- Elijah McCune,  Fernando Munoz?

182- Chase Blanton

195-Brandon Vera

220-Bryan Pratt, Brandon Fields

hwt- Tucker Shelton, Jalin Benson, Delarisco Jones

#based off the info I have. 

126 Noah Kirkman I was told broke his arm not sure how bad or nothing except was told he might be done for the season. If true its to bad he is a great kid as well as a great wrestler.

8 hours ago, DrBaker said:

A few at every weight. 

106- Cole Thomas, Devin Armstead, Nolan Banfield?

113-Brendan Pye, 

120- Mattingly and Sam Grandstaff

126-Thomas Deck, Noah Kirkman?

132-Yost, Cowan, Ocassio, 

138- Gentry Deck, Evion Thornton

145- Lawrence, Keldon Tilley?

152- TKC, Bryce Moberly

160- Zane Brown, Jarred Phillips, Zack Higdon?

170- Elijah McCune, Joe Jackson, Fernando Munoz?

182- Chase Blanton, Dalton Mayer, 

195-Brandon Vera

220-Bryan Pratt, Brandon Fields

hwt- Tucker Shelton, Jalin Benson, Delarisco Jones

#based off the info I have. 

106-Thomas, 120-Grandstaff, 132-Ocassio, 170-Jackson, 182-Mayer

These guys have taken the "L" this year.  All these kids have lost out of state except Grandstaff.  

14 hours ago, Chris Duke said:

106-Thomas, 120-Grandstaff, 132-Ocassio, 170-Jackson, 182-Mayer

These guys have taken the "L" this year.  All these kids have lost out of state except Grandstaff.  

You know how coaches don't like to put losses on track. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

You know how coaches don't like to put losses on track. 

Thomas, Mayer and Ocasio lost only one match so far this year and it was at the GMVWA in Dayton. It was ran on Baum’s page so I don’t think it gets communicated to track. 

13 minutes ago, thewrestlingguru said:

New rankings coming anytime soon or waiting until after wrestling this weekend??

Yeah crazy schedule the last week or so. Will update next week. I will try to reflect the many weight changes we have seen and remove anyone who hasn’t been on the mat.