Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2018/2019 - December 5

Not sure I will do this on a weekly basis, but we have seen most of the fat tests and a couple weekends of competition, so weights are starting to become a little more clear.  BUT there are still soooo many questions yet to be answered as far as where many kids will be.  But here in an update.

Also wanted to highlight the annual gauntlet that is the Ryle Raider Rumble.  I'm sure some weights will be different and some kids will miss due to illness, injury, Ironman, ACT, or whatever.  But here is a quick highlight of what we could see (not counting the OH talent coming in):

106:  #1 Thomas, #2 Moore, #5 Eckman, #10 Meyer, #14 Gilbert, #20 Oliveros

113: #1 Pye, #5 Hedges, #8 Peace, #17 Moore

120: #3 Horton, #4 Grandstaff, #8 Ohlmann, #10 Kinley

126: #1 Deck, #2 Bacon, #3 Lutes, #9 Beane

132: #2 Adams, #3 Grandstaff, #5 Garcia, #6 Pledger, #7 Woodward, #12 Cowan, #14 Siebert, #15 Radzhapov, #18 Messerly

138: #1 Deck, #4 Murrer, #7 Pierce, #12 Lehman, #14 Camery, #20 Adams, #21 Jackson

145: #2 Carr, #3 Wheeler, #4 Lenhart, #6 Spalding, #22 Fudold

152: #2 Ketchen-Carter, #3 Rivera, #5 Kraeszig, #11 McCubbin, #15 Russelburg

160: #2 Boyd, #4 Newberry, #9 Foster, #11 Gaudin, #12 Little, #13 Springs, #14 Gibson, #15 Stuart, #22 Zinser

170: #1 Ervin, #4 Kelsay, #8 Duke, #17 Richmond, #18 Maines, #22 Wallace

182: #6 Mayer, #11 Hall, #12 Moore, #17 Shackelford, #19 Thompson, #20 Nelson

195: #1 Kulmer, #5 Mulcahy, #8 Merkel, #10 Leicht, #13 Hope

220: #1 Ervin, #2 Deprest, #6 Watkins, #11 Watson, #12 Anderson, #16 Waggener, #19 Rausch, #25 Watson

285: #4 Herron, #6 Rolf, #10 Melton

Teams: #1 Union Co, #4 Trinity, #8 St Xavier, #9 Walton-Verona, #10 Scott, #11 Madison Central, #12 Ryle, #14 Conner, #16 Campbell Co, #17 Moore

Always a great event with a ton of top KY talent.

Rankings_18_19_1205.pdf

Thanks Ranger.

I have a feeling these will be a lot more accurate after the Raider Rumble. Lack of info right now this early in the season. I expect a lot of high powered matches this weekend!

This is exactly why rankings are great. Without rankings: 106- little Walton Verona kid vs a little Ryle kid. With rankings: It's # 1 vs #2!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for this. Perfect for showing kids how much harder they need to work to get where they want to end up. 

Josh Volentine from Central Hardin not returning for his senior season.

#1 and #2 will be featured in every weight class except 120, 182, and 285. Wish we could get every 1 and/or 2 to go to this tournament. That would be an awesome day of wrestling! Would almost be like a mini state including the incoming Ohio teams. I'm also interested in the team race and where everyone lands if everyone is in the weight class they're supposed to be (that's most likely a long shot). I believe Union will take 1st but I wanna see how the rest of the field does.

The Deck brothers will have to rack up the bonus points for Madison Central to stay in the race for runner up or even third. That shouldn't be too much to ask for the returning state champ(Thomas Deck) and his brother, returning 3rd place finisher (Gentry Deck). The rest of their teammates will have to help big and advance deep in the tournament.

Hedges and Lenhart will have to make some major noise, maybe an upset here and there to keep Trinity the favorite for runner up and maybe even taking 1st with a little bit of luck and upsets. Kulmer and Herron also have to dominate their respective weight classes and look to get as many team points as possible in every match.

Nate Wheeler, Jimmy Kraeszig, and Benjamin Deprest will have to be on their A games this weekend as these are the heavy hitters for St. X, but Wheeler will eventually see #2 Payne Carr. Jimmy will see #2 Tom KC. Deprest will see #1 Ervin. This is why they have to be on their A game and these are the matches that the St. X wrestlers will have to come up big with wins. Especially Wheeler and Deprest, as their toughest competition will be from Union and they'll wanna keep as many points away from Union as possible. Personally I think Wheeler can beat Carr and Deprest can avenge his loss in the state finals last year against Ervin but that's just me. Pledger and Ohlmann will have to push deep into the tournament and come up big as well 

The last team I wanna talk about and I'm interested in is Walton Verona. This is a big early season test for them in my opinion honestly. Are they legit as a whole team or are they all bark and no bite and have some holes in the lineup? Now, Spencer Moore. #2 at 106, only a freshman, may be the fire and heart this team needs to get a kick start in this tournament. He has it in him because even as one of the youngest on the team he's got the heart of a lion and leadership qualities. He needs to start off huge and finish even bigger over fellow freshman, #1 Cole Thomas of Ryle. Cole will have home field advantage but Moore is an animal and I wouldn't be surprised to see #2 beat #1 here. Tristen Spalding at 145 I believe is the real deal but he's in an extremely tough weight class so he's only #6. He needs to get points where he can find them and I believe he can do that BUT as I say that, I just can't see him beating Wheeler or Carr. I would also slightly lean towards Lenhart in a matchup between the two but I wouldn't bet on it. Spalding needs to get bonus team points where he can find em.

Now Braden Mulchay. #5 at 195. He is a big question mark. Last year, goes into state as #1 at 182 and gets beat out early in consultation rounds (dominated 15-5 by state finalist last year Diion Leavell in quarters. Gets beaten 6-1 by 6th placer, Dakota Santiago in his first match in consulations and 4th round of consulations overall) and ends up not placing. During the regular season he had an unbelievable season and beat top competition. Not sure what was wrong with him at state but that's what happened. Comes into the season ranked #1 at 182 above 4 returning state placers, granted he did beat 2 of them but still you all get my point. He's a toss up in my opinion, not sure what you're gonna get. My final point is that he's gonna have to have a big day and beat who he's supposed to beat but I see him getting beat by Kulmer and I don't think it's a close match at all. I also see him maybe losing a close one to Merkel of Conner. We'll see if Braden is the real deal this weekend but in my mind he will have trouble and Walton Verona may get exposed as a whole if he doesn't come up big, but than again I could be wrong. He didn't have an outstanding REGULAR SEASON last year by just getting lucky. He's got skill but we'll see how far that skill can take him.

But that's it. That's my take on this weekend if everyone is at the weight class they need to be in but who knows. Hopefully we'll see all these scenarios play out? Gonna be an exciting weekend!

Union will be sending a few of their guys to Ironman, so like every other year, I don't expect them to win Ryle. That is a lot of points they will be giving up by throwing in a JV kid for a #1/#2 ranked kid. 

This is a little closer to what we will see this weekend.  Union will be missing 5 big time point scorers.  They will not win.  Madison Central will put 2 in the finals with 2 or 3 other big time point scorers.  Trinity will be without Kulmer, he isn't on their roster yet.  St. X will have some quality but they lost to much to graduation last year.  WV will have a solid showing this year with a lot of experience.  This may be a homer call, but I'm looking for Ryle to have a  solid tournament.  After years of low numbers they will finally have a full lineup minus our heavy being out.  We could see Ryle putting 4 in the finals at 106, 120, 170, and  220.

106-Thomas, Moore, Eckman, Gilbert, Messerly

113-Doepker (Elder), Peace, Pye

120-Horton, Ohlmann, Kinley,Tucker, Dunn (Goshen),

126-Lutes, Beane, Deck, Chase Huff (Goshen)

132-Lenhart, Garcia, Jack Collins (Elder), Luke Marsh (Lebanon), Siebert, Cowan, Grandstaff, Messerly.

138-Deck, Murrer, Pierce, Lehman, Pledger, Woodard, Maceo Powell (Princeton)

145-Wheeler, Pogue, Camery, Lenhart

152-Newberry, Rivera, McCubbin, Russelburg, Hinton (Elder)

160-Tom KC, Foster, Little, Gibson, Kraeszig

170-Kelsay, Boyd, Staurt, Duke, Springs, Richmond, John Mark Williams (Indian Hill), Lewis (West Clermont), Gaudin

182-Mayer, Hall, Thompson, Shackleford, Moore

195-Mulcahy, Merkel, Leicht, Feldman (Elder)

220-Deprest, Watkins, Watson, Rauch, Watson (WV)

285-Hager, Pike

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chris Duke said:

Looks like 132 and 170 are the deepest weights.  152 may be the most fun to watch.

Joe Newell from.Montgomery County Wrestled the #1 ranked 180 pound kid from Harrison county ..  2-2 and lost 4-2 with a last second takedown.. Joe missed weight by 4 ounces... Joe isn't super technical .... But he is STRONG... He will definitely make a run at placing at 170 ... Look up the HCIWT on Track.. The semis at 180... It was a great match...I hope he continues to get better... He is benching 315. .. Lol... 

15 minutes ago, Bond James Bond said:

Joe Newell from.Montgomery County Wrestled the #1 ranked 180 pound kid from Harrison county ..  2-2 and lost 4-2 with a last second takedown.. Joe missed weight by 4 ounces... Joe isn't super technical .... But he is STRONG... He will definitely make a run at placing at 170 ... Look up the HCIWT on Track.. The semis at 180... It was a great match...I hope he continues to get better... He is benching 315. .. Lol... 

That's something for Ranger.  My post is only talking about the Rumble.

7 minutes ago, Bond James Bond said:

I was talking about what you said about the 170 class 

I know, I was talking about Ranger's preview for this weekend. 

24 minutes ago, Bond James Bond said:

I had heard that the #1 kid at 180 had tweaked or turned his ankle or something during the match and Harrison County actually went decently deep into the playoffs in football for once and he was the starting running back so I'm not sure if there was a rematch that it would be close. I remember they wrestled at the same tournament last year after a horrible football season, I think they won 1 game and he was pretty healthy I'm assuming and he pinned the Newell kid so in my opinion I wouldn't put too much stock into that match. I'm not sure how he'll do at 170 but it is pretty deep. It'll be pretty tough to place

31 minutes ago, Chris Duke said:

I know, I was talking about Ranger's preview for this weekend. 

Gotcha brother..... I thought you was talking overall. .. My bad. ...

Is the 106 Meyer kid.... Is he the Matthew Myer that used to wrestle for River City? Hes good...I hope he is 106 this weekend...