Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2018/2019 - Preseason November 23

I've been waiting patiently for more teams to post fat test results, but I can't wait any longer.  Want to get this out before events get rolling.  As more tests post and kids get on the mat, these will start taking form. 

I won't add to much on weight classes, but Union Co has a nice little cushion at the top, but Johnson Central and Woodford Co are in a dead heat for the second spot.  Very exciting to see teams like Christian Co and Apollo bringing some new blood into the team trophy race.

Let the fun begin!

Rankings_18_19_1123.pdf

14 hours ago, Bluesdad said:

I see Blue Fletcher isn’t ranked or even considered to be in the starting lineup for JC? 

At this point I left the returning state qualifier in the lineup. As soon as I seem the team compete with a different roster I will update. 

On 11/24/2018 at 1:07 PM, Ranger123 said:

At this point I left the returning state qualifier in the lineup. As soon as I seem the team compete with a different roster I will update. 

That would be a reasonable argument if you didn’t do the exact opposite at 132 with Blayden Sexton and Reece Goss. My only point is that everyone knows Blue will be in the starting lineup for JC. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Calm down Bluesdad. Preseason rankings mean nothing. How about your kid wins a few high school matches before you get your panties in a wad about stupid rankings. 

Dont be one of those dads, it’s not cool

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

Gene you can take it personal if you want, but it’s going to be a long 4 years. Not to mention you could have simply texted me to ask. for the other example you gave the ranked kid has HS matches so I ranked the kid who would be highest. 

6 hours ago, JMI1406 said:

Calm down Bluesdad. Preseason rankings mean nothing. How about your kid wins a few high school matches before you get your panties in a wad about stupid rankings. 

Dont be one of those dads, it’s not cool

First off I didn’t take anything personal so I don’t need to calm down. Blue will take care of his self on the mat. Nothing was enough remotely said out of they way on my side. Anyone that knows me knows what kind of dad and person I am. So to imply anything else is ludicris. So think what you want. That’s your bussiness. I wouldn’t post anything on here I wouldn’t say to someone’s face. Notice I’m not trying to hide who I am with a fake screen name.  

5 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

Gene you can take it personal if you want, but it’s going to be a long 4 years. Not to mention you could have simply texted me to ask. for the other example you gave the ranked kid has HS matches so I ranked the kid who would be highest. 

Jason, I didn’t take anything personal. I just stated facts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, charger said:

Jason thanks again for your hard work. Some people don’t realize the time and effort you put into this. 

#earnednevergiven

Don’t talk to me about this “Brad Calipari” hash tag crap about earned never given. We drove 2 hours one way “4 hours all together” 3 days a week last year just so Blue could practice and wrestle middle school last year because his school didn’t offer it. He works his tail off and he has never been given anything. He’s earned everything hes accomplished in 3 sports and academics. 

Ive never tried to take anything away from Jason. He works his tail off and does a great job. In fact I send him information about kids in my area to help him with his rankings. I know how hard of a job he has with his rankings. Jason is a good guy and does a great job and I never said other wise. So to say I said other wise is nonsense.  

• Upvote 1

I’ve got an idea. What if we just didn’t have rankings? It’s not like we don’t know who the top/good wrestlers across the state. :-)

But, if they’re deemed important, and since most everything is in track nowadays, you would think there would be a program that could compile rankings (based on reported matches) instead of coaches/dads volunteering hours compiling this information only to inevitably get criticized. 

• Upvote 1

Blues Dad asked a simple question. No need to get all fired up on either side. He seems to be a humble parent. He never said, " my kid is number 1!!!, and he can beat all y'all!!!" Lol. The rankings will change quite a bit once the regular season gets rolling. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

Blues Dad asked a simple question. No need to get all fired up on either side. He seems to be a humble parent. He never said, " my kid is number 1!!!, and he can beat all y'all!!!" Lol. The rankings will change quite a bit once the regular season gets rolling. 

Agreed. Half of my wrestlers are ranked in weight classes they won’t be competing in and one is ranked lower than 5 kids he beat last year and has winning records against. I do appreciate the amount of time put into these rankings, but they’re a double edged sword.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GentleBeard said:

But, if they’re deemed important, and since most everything is in track nowadays, you would think there would be a program that could compile rankings (based on reported matches) instead of coaches/dads volunteering hours compiling this information only to inevitably get criticized. 

You remember the BCS football rankings days?!? I’d much rather stick with Rangers rankings than some computer spitting out inflated rankings. We all know every team doesn’t wrestle the same schedule.  

Ranger is shooting a pretty decent percentage when you look back at his ranger report compared to the state results. 

Plus not every coach/team puts their results in track nor is every tournament ran through trackwrestling. Heck there’s still teams that don’t have their weight certification in trackwrestling yet (hence some guys are in weights they won’t wrestle). 

Ranger - Keep doing what you’re doing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pin2win said:

You remember the BCS football rankings days?!? I’d much rather stick with Rangers rankings than some computer spitting out inflated rankings. We all know every team doesn’t wrestle the same schedule.  

Ranger is shooting a pretty decent percentage when you look back at his ranger report compared to the state results. 

Plus not every coach/team puts their results in track nor is every tournament ran through trackwrestling. Heck there’s still teams that don’t have their weight certification in trackwrestling yet (hence some guys are in weights they won’t wrestle). 

Ranger - Keep doing what you’re doing. 

I think the difference between Kentucky Wrestling and the BCS days is the fact that we have region tournaments to qualify for a state tournament with a 32 man bracket; and we aren’t reliant on computers to tell us which two wrestlers get to wrestle for a state title. And, I’m not entirely sure that who’s ranked in the top 8 in November - January will finish there in February.

Good for Jason volunteering his time if that’s what he wants to do. I understand I t’s a huge undertaking that I want no part of (lol). But with it comes the inevitable, and sometimes unnecessary, criticism. Just thinking of a way to save time, not put a target on anyone, and mitigate bias from November-January until it’s all settled in February.

Let’s face it, the rankings are fun to look at and possibly use as motivation. Kids are going to make the rankings and some will drop from the rankings. The kids have a long season ahead of them. In the end the best kids rise to the top where they should be. The one fact about wrestling is you can not hide behind your team. It s you versus the man across from you on the mat.  The best wrestler is victorious in most matches. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

C'mon don't you know Ranger just puts names in a hat and pulls them out.  He does it like the NBA draft.  Each win gets your name in the hat again.  The reason it takes so long is that he has to fight his dog for the hat every day and therefore can only get one ranking updated a day.  :ph34r::lol:

I'm not exactly sure how many wrestlers watch the rankings or use them as motivation and such.  I've always been the one that would prefer NOT to see my kids in the rankings that way you can go to a tournament and quietly win or lose. What I enjoy about the rankings is that it allows you to see who the better kids are, and look for some matchups.  Does not matter if its the 1v5 or 3v9 you know that it should be a good match.  It can also help coaches choose tourneys to attend by competition. 

• Upvote 1

Why do you think to many are ranked?  The rankings are just informative.  My guess is that Ranger has all of them ranked so that he can easily move them up into the top 25 when they earn it.  I personally would like to see all of them.  I am just as interested in the #30 kid as I am in the #1 kid.  If you want you can see the all the NCAA rankings but only put the top 25 up front. 

But who am I? Just an old fart holding on for dear life. Nobody including my wife listens to me anyway. :ph34r::angry: