JKovach

Lexington Catholic wrestling

Hey all. I’m new here. I posted this under “programs that should start wrestling,” but wanted some wider exposure. 

My father was a wrestling coach in NE Ohio, outside Canton, for over a decade. He coached two state champions and a bunch of state placers. I was a very average wrestler, but loved the sport and it made me a much better athlete, I believe allowing me to continue my football career into college (2-year starter at a D3 school in Ohio). 

My son is a 7th grader at St John in Georgetown and will likely attend Lex Cath. I know they had a program a couple years ago that failed due to low numbers and lack of support.   Would like your thoughts, as fans of wrestling around the commonwealth, on what might help me try to bring wrestling back to Lex Cath. 

Here is my original post:

I’m trying desperately to help Lexington Catholic resurrect their program. Haven’t exactly had the door shut in my face, but not a lot of support from the AD as it is his belief that there isn’t enough demand from the community based on the failed attempt to start a program there a few years ago. 

I started a youth/ Middle school program at the feeder schools and have had about 10 kids each of the last two years. Coach Critchfield at Henry Clay gave me a great deal on an old mat to get us going. 

My son is in 7th grade this year, so I have at least two years to convince the administration that it’s worth it, even if we are small and start slowly. Still a work in progress, but hopeful. 

Lexington Christian has also approached me, so perhaps if Catholic won’t be receptive, Christian will. It would be great if at least one of the private schools here in Lexington would start a program