coachteater

2018-19 KYWCA Girls State Championship

20 hours ago, coachteater said:

2 days away! 

110 wrestlers from 33 schools entered!

That's fantastic!  Good job to all the coaches and wrestlers!!

Always nice to see our sport grow!

• Upvote 1

I just want to say what a great tournament this was, especially for the first time. Other than what I thought were unnecessary breaks/delays it was ran pretty good. But what really made it a great tournament was those young women wrestled like dogs!!! There were more competitive matches than I expected and everyone who participated and took the time to make sure these ladies were able to compete should be very proud. There was a man standing outside when I stepped out to get some fresh air and he had a big grin and said "this is the best tournament I've been to in quite some time, man are these girls fun to watch" ... I couldn't agree more. My experience might be helped by the fact that I got to see my daughter become a State champ and you couldn't tell her that it wasnt legit. Just like the boys getting ready to compete in less than 2 weeks, these young women trained hard and battled like they deserved to be there and I hope the next step is for KHSAA to step in and make this an official State tournament. While I think it's fine they wrestle on the Varsity or JV teams with the boys during the season, my daughter held her own against them too, this is a great thing to reward and let them showcase how hard they work and get ready for the next level, college, Olympics,  etc.. keep bringing it Kentucky!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PABacon said:

I just want to say what a great tournament this was, especially for the first time. Other than what I thought were unnecessary breaks/delays it was ran pretty good. But what really made it a great tournament was those young women wrestled like dogs!!! There were more competitive matches than I expected and everyone who participated and took the time to make sure these ladies were able to compete should be very proud. There was a man standing outside when I stepped out to get some fresh air and he had a big grin and said "this is the best tournament I've been to in quite some time, man are these girls fun to watch" ... I couldn't agree more. My experience might be helped by the fact that I got to see my daughter become a State champ and you couldn't tell her that it wasnt legit. Just like the boys getting ready to compete in less than 2 weeks, these young women trained hard and battled like they deserved to be there and I hope the next step is for KHSAA to step in and make this an official State tournament. While I think it's fine they wrestle on the Varsity or JV teams with the boys during the season, my daughter held her own against them too, this is a great thing to reward and let them showcase how hard they work and get ready for the next level, college, Olympics,  etc.. keep bringing it Kentucky!!

Glad you had a good experience.  As far as the breaks, they were necessary.  The breaks we took were for the 45 min rules and the last was to break down the 2nd mat for the finals. Normally i can push the 45 min rule a bit, but if we had not took a break one time, girls wrestling would have only had 20 mins between matches. I hope this helps the understanding of the breaks. 

I understood the meaning behind the breaks. I felt only the one was close and necessary but not sure about the others, either way, it did not ruin it for me and we had a great time. I just know how my wrestlers are and long breaks between wrestling can have just as much negative effect as not enough time. Again, thank you for doing it and putting in the work. Overall I thought you guys did great, please dont take my criticism as a "slam", it was my only little thought and not too big a deal. I've been to waaaaay worse. Ridiculously worse. I give you guys an A grade ;)

14 minutes ago, PABacon said:

I understood the meaning behind the breaks. I felt only the one was close and necessary but not sure about the others, either way, it did not ruin it for me and we had a great time. I just know how my wrestlers are and long breaks between wrestling can have just as much negative effect as not enough time. Again, thank you for doing it and putting in the work. Overall I thought you guys did great, please dont take my criticism as a "slam", it was my only little thought and not too big a deal. I've been to waaaaay worse. Ridiculously worse. I give you guys an A grade ;)

Didnt take it as a slam, just wanted to explain. Thanks and congratulations to Savannah. Great showing by all the girls!

Funny thing i noticed about Saturday.  Female wrestlers dont bug you nearly as bad as boys about what mat they will be on! They must listen better than boys. 

I can't thank Shirley Stephens enough for her help and getting the Cumberland Womens team to help. They do an excellent job on the tables