coachteater

2018-19 KYWCA Girls State Championship

Not to be a party pooper but isn't that the same date as Middle school state and JV state?

It may make it difficult for some schools to come up with 3 coaches going 3 different places. And I would hate to guess which would be left out if so. 

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

Not to be a party pooper but isn't that the same date as Middle school state and JV state?

It may make it difficult for some schools to come up with 3 coaches going 3 different places. And I would hate to guess which would be left out if so. 

We will have 1 coach at each event. It is what it is. Not ideal, but a good issue to have.

I really hope it all works out, but I'm sure there are a few schools out there that will not have 3 coaches to send to 3 different events, possibly 4 if they are at state duals. 

But I understand there has to be small steps. 

34 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

I really hope it all works out, but I'm sure there are a few schools out there that will not have 3 coaches to send to 3 different events, possibly 4 if they are at state duals. 

But I understand there has to be small steps. 

state duals are the week prior of girls, middle school and JV state.

This decision alone, was enough to get my daughter excited about wrestling again! I have already noticed the female numbers are up in Middle School... I really Belive this is a good thing.. Glad we did it. Thanks for doing this.  #AWESOME #KENTUCKY #WRESTLING... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I would think that it is still considered a regular season event since it is not a KHSAA sponsered post season event. Therefore the 4 match rule does not apply, but the body fat test would be needed, just like a regular event.  

2 hours ago, CUTiger184 said:

Are we requiring the ladies to still have a combination of four weigh ins/matches before the girls state tournament? 

I am. Even if they do not need it. It helps keep them consistent with the guys IMO.

57 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

I would think that it is still considered a regular season event since it is not a KHSAA sponsered post season event. Therefore the 4 match rule does not apply, but the body fat test would be needed, just like a regular event.  

Correct!

With numbers exploding,  we may have to look at a qualifier in the future and if/when khsaa takes over, i would say there will be a minimum 

There was confusion on my part with the vote on the 4 match/weigh in qualification.  It is NOT required and all girls that are weight assessed and in trackwrestling will be eligible to wrestle at girls state. Sorry for any confusion and here is an updated flyer.

Again, please feel free to contact me with any questions. 

Scotty Teater 

Tates Creek Wrestling 

1st Annual Kentucky Girls (1).docx

On 10/24/2018 at 9:45 PM, GentleBeard said:

TCHS will be hosting an individual tournament for boys and girls that will run concurrently. The boys tournament is full at this point. I have attached the flyer. My best guess right now (which is still fairly early), we will have approximately 20 girls coming to compete. Hopefully more. We will have 5 mats and depending on the girls participation, we will have 3 mats for the boys and 2 mats for the girls. That’s the goal, anyway. This tournament will double as a food drive for our local food bank to help them replenish after the holiday season. Hope to see you all there!

My best form of contact is via email - Ben.ellard@taylor.kyschools.us

D9312264-4261-4D9B-AA60-4F089B88A789.jpeg

Some questions have been asked if this will be high school girls only. Does anyone know the age groups for the girls side?

2 hours ago, Wrestledad said:

Some questions have been asked if this will be high school girls only. Does anyone know the age groups for the girls side?

Yes. We will have girls’ and boys tournaments running concurrently.

I hope the people  behind this were smart enough to make girls state an OPEN tournament.  Even OHIO has made their girls state open. Great opportunity for ky girls who can step up to the challenge. 

12 hours ago, Braves coach said:

I hope the people  behind this were smart enough to make girls state an OPEN tournament.  Even OHIO has made their girls state open. Great opportunity for ky girls who can step up to the challenge. 

The "people" behind this are the KYWCA. That's the wrestling coaches association if you are not familiar with it. I assure you that they are "smart enough" to do the correct things and make this an event to showcase our female wrestlers and help build wrestling as a whole. 

As far as "open" , do you mean to open to other states? This is the "Kentucky" girls championships.  This tournament is to promote growth in our state(which it has, we have went from 50 girls to 150 in 1 year) and award our girls for their achievements.  

If you are meaning "open" as far as open to any girl to be able to participate,  that's not an option. This is a regular season high school tournament that must follow the rules of any other khsaa event. That is why it is 7th-12th grades and girls must be on hs roster, weight assessed, and weigh in using the proper trackwrestling form. We are mirroring our boys and following all khsaa rules with the hopes that it will make it a smooth transition with growth and the end results of khsaa sanctioned girls division.  

KYWCA . Ok that's awesome. I'm sure you are correct they are smart enough.  My concerns are why hold this event the same day as MS state? Why make the best girls in the state choose which event to participate in.  Why not open this event to all states to really grow the numbers and competition level.  This could be a great opportunity for girls wrestling. 

6 minutes ago, Braves coach said:

KYWCA . Ok that's awesome. I'm sure you are correct they are smart enough.  My concerns are why hold this event the same day as MS state? Why make the best girls in the state choose which event to participate in.  Why not open this event to all states to really grow the numbers and competition level.  This could be a great opportunity for girls wrestling. 

So this date was chosen because more than half of the high school teams in the state do not compete on this date. It gives the high school coaches the opportunity to focus on their girls and take them to this event. While m.s. girls are eligible,  the event is a high school tournament.  While this date makes m.s. girls choose,  it is the best date for the majority of our female wrestlers. 

As far as out of state wrestlers,  we are wanting to promote and show case KY Girls. We are trying to build our girls and by bringing in ones from out of state, it could be discouraging to the ones here working hard to be the best in their state. There are opportunities for them to travel nationally and compete against other states, but this is their time to shine against their peers from Kentucky. 

Think about it this way, this event is much like state duals. The KYWCA runs it and it is considered a state title. But would we let teams from ohio come compete in our state duals? 

Hope this helps clarify issues and best of luck in the rest of the season. 

56 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

Can the girls have more than 1 from a team in a weight class? I noticed Central has 4 at 195. 

Multiple girls allowed per weight, but 1 scorer. I will update flyer to reflect this info