coachteater

2018-19 KYWCA Girls State Championship

We at the KYWCA are proud to announce that this season we will have the first ever in season girls state championship! 

This event will be held February 2nd at Tates Creek High School in Lexington. 

More details will follow, but here are so details.

• Grades 7-12 Female 

• 14 weight classes (same as hs)

• 4,8,16 bracket as needed

• top 4 medal

• top 2 team trophies 

* all entries must be weight assessed and trackwrestling weigh in sheet will be required, same as any hs event. 

This is such a great thing. A very big step from last year to this. So many coaches that embraced this great occurrence. I can't even put it all in words. You guys that were a part of this, I salute all of you!. Thank you all!!!

Thanks to all the coaches for working hard for this. We are blessed with amazing support here in Kentucky. From our amazing USA wrestling backing (and we are excited for that triple crown award!) getting us to Tulsa and Fargo to the coaches hosting the first state event during high school season, we have an awesome foundation. 

For all of the new parents and coaches head on over to Kentucky Female Wrestling on Facebook and join the conversation! 

Much love and gratitude to you all. 

#kentuckygirlswrestling #kdubb

8 hours ago, mac00135 said:

Sanctioning body? 

This is a KHSAA in season event sponsored by the coaches association.  

It follows all rules as a high school event. 

We are working with KHSAA and hopeful that after a couple years and size grows, they will takeover , with womens wrestling becoming it's own sanctioned sport. 

On 9/24/2018 at 6:57 AM, Braves coach said:

Awesome news. I hope it is freestyle, since this is the style these young athlete's move on to wrestle in college.

This will sadly be a very small and quick  tournament.

High school girls wrestling is folkstyle across the nation.  That is the optimal solution for growth and development at this time (even though everyone including the top people would love to see freestyle be the actual style)

Starting small is how things start.  Baby steps until you can walk, then you can run.  I'm grateful and excited about the progress we are making and I'm grateful to those who are working so hard to be positive and make things happen.  Increasing opportunities for women is never a bad thing. 

Most of these girls are going to be coached by high school boys coaches. I think the only way girls wrestling would be freestyle is if high school boys change also. I don't see this happening anytime soon. 

10 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Most of these girls are going to be coached by high school boys coaches. I think the only way girls wrestling would be freestyle is if high school boys change also. I don't see this happening anytime soon. 

That is one of the biggest reasons for staying folkstyle at this time during development :) another is that it is already sanctioned under NFHS so no new paperwork is needed for that part of it.  In my experience the girls transition easily enough so its less of an issue than it seems like it might be 

• Upvote 1

I've had some questions,  so wanted to make sure I let people know a few things. 

This is considered a regular season high school khsaa event. Because of this, all wrestlers MUST be weight assessed and on high school roster for the school they attend or the m.s. that feeds that high school. 

As an example,  if you have an 8th grade girl who lives in one county, but wrestles in a different county for a m.s. club, that wrestler is not eligible for this event. 

I'll use my team as an example.  My wrestlers will have to be from southern Ms, tates creek Ms, or tates creek high school. If I have a girl from another school on my m.s. club, she will not be able to be on my h.s. roster, therefore is not eligible to wrestle in a khsaa event. 

14 hours ago, GentleBeard said:

Can Taylor County host a girls tournament concurrently with a boys tournament? We are interested in hosting a girls tournament prior to them going to the state tournament.

I am taking my girls to Rossview (TN) tourney on Monday Jan. 21st. They have a JV/girls tourney. It would have to be used as a varsity date since it is in TN and girls is sanctioned. If you want info PM me.

3 hours ago, CUTiger184 said:

Any idea on an increase in women's numbers across the state?  Any schools having luck recruiting?  

From what I hear there are several teams with multiple girls out which is super exciting!  I can't wait until the body fat test numbers come in :)

• Upvote 1

On 10/18/2018 at 10:15 AM, CUTiger184 said:

Any idea on an increase in women's numbers across the state?  Any schools having luck recruiting?  

We have 14 right now and we may have more. what about yall?

59 minutes ago, GentleBeard said:

Taylor County is hosting a girls tournament on January 12th if anyone is interested. I will attach a flyer later.

Can you email me a flyer so I can post it on the KY girls facebook page? mamaduck333@gmail.com :)

30 minutes ago, Wrestledad said:

I'm curious how the girls tournament will work in regards to KHSAA rules? Who will it be open to? 

All khsaa hs rules. Oprn to 7th-12th grade girls who are on high school roster and have been weight assessed,  just like any other hs tournament.  

TCHS will be hosting an individual tournament for boys and girls that will run concurrently. The boys tournament is full at this point. I have attached the flyer. My best guess right now (which is still fairly early), we will have approximately 20 girls coming to compete. Hopefully more. We will have 5 mats and depending on the girls participation, we will have 3 mats for the boys and 2 mats for the girls. That’s the goal, anyway. This tournament will double as a food drive for our local food bank to help them replenish after the holiday season. Hope to see you all there!

My best form of contact is via email - Ben.ellard@taylor.kyschools.us

D9312264-4261-4D9B-AA60-4F089B88A789.jpeg

We are attempting to add female only brackets to the Harrison Co Invitational on 12/1/18.  We currently have some girls practicing with us and would like to be able to get them some matches against other girls.  We will do whatever we can to get them as many matches as possible on 12/1.  Could be robin round or bracket.  There won’t be an entry fee for girls, and if we don’t have enough for a girls only bracket we can do exhibition against boys or put them in the boys brackets if they want. 

Thanks,

Luke Tucker

Harrison Co. Wrestling

859-229-9910