Sign in to follow this  
FalconWrestling

Schools that should add programs

So a big call to action in my mind would be to start reaching out to listed schools, especially the ones in green and yellow and inquire about wrestling programs. I've had little luck myself in Louisville but I am notoriously prickly

Just a clarification. Murray does not have a wrestling program, but Calloway County does. I know Murray tried to start one, but they were stopped by the school board is what I heard. Another way to help grow the sport, which also helps with Title IX, is to get more girls involved in wrestling. 

1 hour ago, Shannon Powers said:

Just a clarification. Murray does not have a wrestling program, but Calloway County does. I know Murray tried to start one, but they were stopped by the school board is what I heard. Another way to help grow the sport, which also helps with Title IX, is to get more girls involved in wrestling. 

As someone who has a personal history involving Calloway County I am well aware they have a program. Didn't know about this history involving Murray and their school board however.

I have no issue bringing more women into the sport myself

I was told this happened within the last year or so with Murray. I was told this by someone employed by the district. I don't have direct knowledge of it, but it was being discussed because they were trying to get me to transfer kids to the Murray school district. Since I have three wrestlers at the moment, they weren't going to a school without a wrestling program. 

The regional Bowling Green argument is a bad one for them. Truth is Butler Co has talked of having a program. Barron County had one and would again if schools in Warren Co did as well. Plus E-Town isn't far away which has 3 teams, Owensboro has 4 teams and Ohio co has a team all are closer than lots of the other schools which currently exist. There would have to be realignments done but there is plenty of teams. No different them than basketball or any other sport. This is really the area we need it the most it is so close to Nashville and a connector between Lexington, Louisville and the western part of the state could be some awesome weekend tourneys.

• Upvote 1

I’m trying desperately to help Lexington Catholic resurrect their program. Haven’t exactly had the door shut in my face, but not a lot of support from the AD as it is his belief that there isn’t enough demand from the community based on the failed attempt to start a program there a few years ago. 

I started a youth/ Middle school program at the feeder schools and have had about 10 kids each of the last two years. Coach Critchfield at Henry Clay Gabe me a great deal on an old mat to get us going. 

My son is in 7th grade this year, so I have at least two years to convince the administration that it’s worth it, even if we are small and start slowly. Still a work in progress, but hopeful. 

Lexington Christian has also approached me, so perhaps if Catholic won’t be receptive, Christian will. It would be great if at least one of the private schools here in Lexington would start a program.