Sign in to follow this  
REscalera

Come on Kentucky

Bellarmine is NCAA div II, but I think that’s all we will get. 

I think we will see a slow death of the sport in the next 20 years. It breaks my heart to state that. It will become what men’s gymnastics is today. 

In my adult life Notre Dame and Clemson dropped their teams. They were both solid. 7-8 years ago Nebraska Omaha dropped theirs literally the day after winning the NCAA DIV II title. 

UA Little Rock and Presbyterian adding the sport is nice but I’ll be shocked if they fully fund the teams. 

On 3/19/2018 at 9:33 PM, crazyotto said:

Sure would be nice. While listening to Billy Baldwin talk about how many college programs there used to be, all I could think about was Title IX. 

The irony is that which almost killed wrestling may help save it, since women wrestling is picking up steam. 

I was looking back at some old rankings. Boise State was ranked as high as second in NCAA dI within the last decade. Now the program is far gone. 

I think the MAC is a perfect case study. And I mean the real MAC, the ones that play football. If wrestling can’t exist in the heartland of wrestling at places like Toledo, Miami, Ball State, Akron, and now Eastern Michigan we are in serious trouble. 

It’s a sad day for wrestling. 

4 hours ago, Bulldoglife said:

Interesting read. Can you envision the day where DI wrestling, eroded down to the traditional powers competes with DII and DIII schools on a regular basis?.....and the lower division schools are very competitive! As DI colleges eliminate wrestling these kids will be forced to go to the smaller division schools. Its a numbers thing.