Sign in to follow this  
Nkawtg

NCAA Tourney

Round 1 notables. 

Buckeyes 10-0 with 5 bonus point victories. I didn’t like the way BoJo and Moore looked though. 

Iowa made a statement. They looked dominant. 

Penn State had two guys pinned but I think they’ll be just fine. 

As a kid I loved Kenny Monday. Evidently his kid is pretty good too. 

Mizzou!!  Overrated, overblown, outwrestled and exposed throughout their lineup!!

i still like to win it all 

125 nato

133 Gross

141 Yanni

149 Zain

157 Nolf

165 Imar

174 still hoping Jordan can open up but Zaheid is my pick. 

184 Nickal

197 Moore, but my least certain pick. 

Hwt Snyderman

• Upvote 1

BoJo and Moore looked sluggish for sure. Their 2nd rd matches were much better. 

Fun watching the Finesilver bros get after it. I watched ACCs where three of the four rec’d AQs. 

Iowa had a nice 1st rd, but you don’t win this thing on Thursday. 

Missouri looks nothing like a top program. Winning MAC means little, even in record breaking fashion. As other conferences show their mettle I think NCAA will take AQs from MAC and award to these other conferences. MAC HWTs have done nothing at NCAAs for years. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, crazyotto said:

Fun watching the Finesilver bros get after it. I watched ACCs where three of the four rec’d AQs. 

Missouri looks nothing like a top program. Winning MAC means little, even in record breaking fashion. As other conferences show their mettle I think NCAA will take AQs from MAC and award to these other conferences. MAC HWTs have done nothing at NCAAs for years. 

Northern Iowa leaving and Central Michigan (whose coach is a Citadel grad btw) being down hurts the MAC. Ohio U and NIU are unusually weak also. Mizzou has too many issues within the athletic department. The wrestling team has fared pretty well but are being exposed right now. 

NC State is for real. Nice to see Tariq Wilson make the quarters. Fausz took a heartbreaker. 

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, crazyotto said:

TOSU is not in a perfect spot but it's not looking bad. 

Mizzou on the other hand is really MACing it up. The mac hwts....need to lose allocations. Sad showing again.

The atmosphere is wild. I'm preparing for another wild not in Cleveland. Ohio is really showing they are a premier wrestling state. 

Like they said in the ESPN broadcast, Ohio State will be the best second place team ever. Not a title anyone wants. 

I give credit to Lee. Pletcher and McKenna were close. Moore missing out really hurts. 

Snyder/Coon 3 tomorrow night!

The turning point for me was Hayes not going all out in the quarters, they catching Sorenson the blood end and not AAing. He will be pissed at himself forever for leaving it on the mat vs heilman. 

Need a perfect morning for the buckeyes today.

1 hour ago, wildcat2002 said:

The turning point for me was Hayes not going all out in the quarters, they catching Sorenson the blood end and not AAing. He will be pissed at himself forever for leaving it on the mat vs heilman. 

Need a perfect morning for the buckeyes today.

It looked as if Hayes was saving energy for the next match. Heilman much bigger, but I felt Hayes was a better mat wrestler. He just didn’t wrestle. I didn’t understand his approach to that match. 

• Upvote 1

I was very disappointed in my Mizzou Tigers.  Funk can be very effective against average wrestlers, but physically strong and technically solid wrestlers like you see at Penn State and Ohio State will almost always win the day.  Zahid Valencia is a great example.  His single switched off to a double, he controlled hips and he elevated.  Mizzou seemed to be so in love with funk they were beat by great basics.  I also thought their conditioning was a bit suspect.

For high school wrestlers who want to excel, pay attention to the little things PS & OSU do.  They don't shoot a single or double then put their heads on the mat.  I once heard a very good coach say, "the best counter to funk is elevation".  Sadly, in both of his losses Sean Fausz, late in the match, took shots where his head was down on the mat.  He gave up points and back points both times.  I also thought his lack of matches this year cost him in conditioning.

Mizzou will need to go back to basics to compete at nationals.  And maybe wrestle Big 10 schools during the regular season to get ready for the grind.

• Upvote 1

If you look at MU's overall record the past several years on the big stage it ends the same. Lots of potential but fall short on promises. Think lot has to do with peaking too early. I know the MAC is not an impressive conference anymore but they seem to be on point every year at the conference tourney but lose a little wind during the NCAA's. Being a fan of them it is hard to watch this happen every year with some talented kids.

While I was hoping for more out of Sorensen and Maranelli, I'm pretty satisfied with the overall performance of the Hawkeyes. 197 might be the weakest D1 weight class I've seen in a LONG time. I think Warner will make an immediate impact, and challenge for a title. I hated seeing Martinez (Illinois) and Meredith (Wyoming) end their careers without a title. Both of those young men will be successful in whatever they choose to pursue. Lee will go down as one of the greatest American wrestlers of all time before it's all said and done. Complete domination in an absolutely stacked bracket. Fausz (NCST) had a tough tournament, but still accomplished more than 99% of wrestlers. My predictions for next year are

1. Penn State (shocking...) 

2. Iowa (5 potential finalists)

3. Oklahoma State (significantly underperformed this year, but have some key redshirts coming back).