Sign in to follow this  
Old wrestler

Big 10 Predictions

Ehhhh I figured we could probably use a topic change. Let's see your B10 predictions. 

125 Lee (Iowa)

133 Micic (Michigan)
141 McKenna (Ohio State)
149 Retherford (Penn State)
157 Kemmerer (Iowa)
165 Martinez (Illinois) 
174 Hall (Penn State)
184 Nickal (Penn State)
197 Rasheed (Penn State)
285 Snyder (Ohio State)

Not too sure if Suriano (Rutgers) is wrestling. If not, the bottom half semi will really be the finals. Micic hasn't really had a tough schedule, so this should be a nice tune up before NCAAs. McKenna has been coming on strong lately. Hopefully he can return to his freshmen year form. Retherford will win, just hoping Sorenson can make it close like he did last year in Iowa City. Cael sat Suriano last year, and depending on the seriousness of Nolf's injury, I could see this happening again. Either way, Kemmerer is certainly capable of pulling the upset if he wrestles a FULL 7 minutes. Martinez will not be denied this year. In a minor upset, I think Maranelli (Iowa) proves his win over Joseph (Penn State) wasn't a fluke. I think we see Hall widen the gap against Jordan (Ohio State). Nickal seems to have figured out Martin (Ohio State). However, as we all know, Martin certainly has the ability to knock off Nickal. Moore (Ohio State) has recently suffered some head scratching loses. At one time, Moore appeared to be a sure fire NC for Ohio State (197 is weak this year), but I'm calling a minor upset with Rasheed. As an Iowa fan, I'm glad Stoll got the fourth seed (style wise, he has a better chance of upsetting Coon). Regardless, I think we see a Coon Snyder final, but with different results. Snyder will make the necessary adjustments I.e. avoid a strength vs strength strategy. 

Looking forward to this weekend. Best time of the year! 

• Upvote 1

125 - Suriano (Rugters) if he wrestles. NATO (Ohio State) if he doesn't. He's been off the mat a while.

133 - Micic (MIchigan)

141 - Lee (Penn State)

149 - Zain Train (Penn State)

157- Nolf (Penn State) if he wrestles Kemmerer (Iowa) if he doesn't.

165 - Martinez (Illinois) - Over Cenzo, who will avenge the loss over Maranelli 

174 - Hall (Penn State)

184 - Nickal ( Penn State)

197 - Moore (Ohio State) Re finds his form for B10 but he WILL be DENIED at NCAAs 

285 - Coon (MIchigan) It wasn't a fluke. Lots of weight good hips. 

I know I selected Moore. In my opinion it is very possible and shouldn't be overly surprising if Ohio State doesn't have one champion this year. (Bring the Mob on lol)

I’m an OSU nut, but you may be spot on w/ the no champs remark. I am not sold in NATO, strictly due to his troubles on bottom. I do think that Moore gets it done at NCAAs though. I have watched Coon-Snyder match a few times. Not sure that Snyder beats him again. It has nothing to do w/ talent and everything to do w/ size. Also, Coon wrestled a smart match. He will be champ at NCAAs too. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Neutral said:

125 - Suriano (Rugters) if he wrestles. NATO (Ohio State) if he doesn't. He's been off the mat a while.

133 - Micic (MIchigan)

141 - Lee (Penn State)

149 - Zain Train (Penn State)

157- Nolf (Penn State) if he wrestles Kemmerer (Iowa) if he doesn't.

165 - Martinez (Illinois) - Over Cenzo, who will avenge the loss over Maranelli 

174 - Hall (Penn State)

184 - Nickal ( Penn State)

197 - Moore (Ohio State) Re finds his form for B10 but he WILL be DENIED at NCAAs 

285 - Coon (MIchigan) It wasn't a fluke. Lots of weight good hips. 

I know I selected Moore. In my opinion it is very possible and shouldn't be overly surprising if Ohio State doesn't have one champion this year. (Bring the Mob on lol)

I can respect the no champs for Ohio State prediction. If you would have told me that in November, I would have gotten a good laugh. I've learned not to doubt Snyder, but the 3x champ curse at heavyweight could very well continue (side note, that's been a bizarre streak). Either way, heavyweight will be one of the most exciting weight classes to watch, outside of 125. 

On a totally unrelated note, are these 'super teams,' good for college wrestling? I know I sound like a bitter Iowa fan (I am Haha), but there isn't a lot of parity, especially within the B10. I know Gable led teams dominated for decades, but I don't think we've ever seen anything like what's happening up at Penn State. There are 3 NC contenders in one weight class (197).  Teams like Michigan State, Indiana, Maryland, Wisconsin, Rutgers (excluding Suriano and Ashnault), and Illinois (excluding IMAR), seem to struggle year in and year out. Should we be concerned that the universities may not see value in wrestling? 

18 hours ago, crazyotto said:

My channel guide shows Big 12 championships. Hope it’s a typo. 

Unfortunately, I think the only thing that will be on Big 10 network is Sundays finals. Everything else is being shown online, I think? Could be wrong. 

It's been a crazy day so far, looking forward to semis. Big ten is by far the best conference and it's not close. The quarters of The big ten is better than most finals.

Streaming on btn2go and flo.

2 hours ago, wildcat2002 said:

It's been a crazy day so far, looking forward to semis. Big ten is by far the best conference and it's not close. The quarters of The big ten is better than most finals.

Streaming on btn2go and flo.

Well of course it is by far the most dominate conference. hands down.  with 3 out of the top 5 teams in the country. Sorry Iowa fans, but with 3rd place Michigan almost doubling point total for the hawks I would have them behind Missouri, Ok. State and possibly SC State.  This is another Penn State walk away this year. The only chance O State had was to bring all ten to the NCAA's  and for all of them to score some points. I doubt Te Shaun makes it. and if he does don't count on any points.

Teshaun will earn an at large bid or whatever  they call it. He did win 2 matchs at Ncaas last year. 2 more than most. 

I agree. PSU is tough, but TOSU will be waiting for them to slip up. I'm excited to be making the trip to Cleveland this year!

Bucks with 7 in the finals!  They peak every year. Iowa on the other hand isn’t. 

Looking forward to Moore and Rasheed and Coon and Snyder tomorrow. 

I Have several matches of interest .... can Nato avenge loss to Lee? Surriano  and which ever opponent he gets will be good. I always like watching Martin and Nickel go at it in the finals, anything can happen there. Pletcher and Micic are 1-1 . Rasheed and Moore should be fun to watch as well.... Shoot I am retired now and a full time RVer  finishing the winter out in Louisiana at present. Have half a mind to brave the cold and join Wildcat in Cleveland!

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, depperschmidt said:

I Have several matches of interest .... can Nato avenge loss to Lee? Surriano  and which ever opponent he gets will be good. I always like watching Martin and Nickel go at it in the finals, anything can happen there. Pletcher and Micic are 1-1 . Rasheed and Moore should be fun to watch as well.... Shoot I am retired now and a full time RVer  finishing the winter out in Louisiana at present. Have half a mind to brave the cold and join Wildcat in Cleveland!

Looks like Bo has figured out Myles and Myles has really improved!

Moore looked solid again and owned Rasheed on their feet. 

Nice to see Imar go after it with his aggressive style too. 

Kyle Snyder. Wow. Adam Coon may very well become a world class heavy. He’s amazing. Coon didn’t really attempt anything offensive, yet he wasn’t stalling either. Impressive match. Even more impressive win by Snyder. 

• Upvote 1

Well, that was fun! Great to see tOSU come out on top. I don’t believe Nolf inj  def out mattered in team race. NaTo gets redemption on Lee. Still hasn’t given up a TD to him. Collin Moore is back on track. Snyder-Coon II was even closer than Snyder-Coon I. Looking forward to the rubber match. 

On 2/27/2018 at 10:39 AM, Old wrestler said:

Ehhhh I figured we could probably use a topic change. Let's see your B10 predictions. 

125 Lee (Iowa)

133 Micic (Michigan)
141 McKenna (Ohio State)
149 Retherford (Penn State)
157 Kemmerer (Iowa)
165 Martinez (Illinois) 
174 Hall (Penn State)
184 Nickal (Penn State)
197 Rasheed (Penn State)
285 Snyder (Ohio State)

Not too sure if Suriano (Rutgers) is wrestling. If not, the bottom half semi will really be the finals. Micic hasn't really had a tough schedule, so this should be a nice tune up before NCAAs. McKenna has been coming on strong lately. Hopefully he can return to his freshmen year form. Retherford will win, just hoping Sorenson can make it close like he did last year in Iowa City. Cael sat Suriano last year, and depending on the seriousness of Nolf's injury, I could see this happening again. Either way, Kemmerer is certainly capable of pulling the upset if he wrestles a FULL 7 minutes. Martinez will not be denied this year. In a minor upset, I think Maranelli (Iowa) proves his win over Joseph (Penn State) wasn't a fluke. I think we see Hall widen the gap against Jordan (Ohio State). Nickal seems to have figured out Martin (Ohio State). However, as we all know, Martin certainly has the ability to knock off Nickal. Moore (Ohio State) has recently suffered some head scratching loses. At one time, Moore appeared to be a sure fire NC for Ohio State (197 is weak this year), but I'm calling a minor upset with Rasheed. As an Iowa fan, I'm glad Stoll got the fourth seed (style wise, he has a better chance of upsetting Coon). Regardless, I think we see a Coon Snyder final, but with different results. Snyder will make the necessary adjustments I.e. avoid a strength vs strength strategy. 

Looking forward to this weekend. Best time of the year! 

Nice pick on McKenna. He has been on a mission. I see him exceeding his seed at NCAAs.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, crazyotto said:

Nice pick on McKenna. He has been on a mission. I see him exceeding his seed at NCAAs.

Haha thanks man. He's capable of winning it all at 141, especially since Heil seems to have either been a)figured out or B)he's simply burnt out. I saw somewhere that McKenna had a 36 on his ACT. 

Hawkeyes crapped the bed, especially my Maranelli pick. It's all practice until NCAAs, although the Hawks didn't do themselves any favors, seeding wise. I'm still big on Lee. We shall see. 

20 hours ago, Old wrestler said:

Haha thanks man. He's capable of winning it all at 141, especially since Heil seems to have either been a)figured out or B)he's simply burnt out. I saw somewhere that McKenna had a 36 on his ACT. 

Hawkeyes crapped the bed, especially my Maranelli pick. It's all practice until NCAAs, although the Hawks didn't do themselves any favors, seeding wise. I'm still big on Lee. We shall see. 

I love the Buckeyes, I truly do. However, leaving Stanford for Ohio State is a bad decision. I hope my kid with a 36 doesn’t do something so unwise. 

3 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

I love the Buckeyes, I truly do. However, leaving Stanford for Ohio State is a bad decision. I hope my kid with a 36 doesn’t do something so unwise. 

I don't know anything about McKenna, but disagree... unless Stanford offers a specific program that Ohio St doesn't, which isn't likely considering Ohio St is the 3rd largest university in the country (I realize Stanford is better academically) then the kid should follow his heart since his athletic window is very limited.  He can always go to grad school at Stanford, possibly as a grad assistant and get it paid for too if he's good enough (assuming they have a position).

On 3/6/2018 at 4:59 PM, Nkawtg said:

My understanding is that the move was about being a bit homesick, rather than education. If that is the case, he made the right decision. Gave up zero points at B1G Tens, wow!!!

• Upvote 1