DrBaker

Virginia Beach Nationals

My MOW award for our KY wrestlers at VA Beach goes to Trent Johnson.  He took 4th losing 1-0 & 4-3 in 2 closely contested matches against Marshall Keller out of VA.  For those that don't know, Keller is ranked #9 nationally at 138.  He's also #17 on Flowrestling's Top 20 NCAA Prospect Ranking at 149 lbs and is also #92 in Flowrestling's Top 100 Class of 2018 Big Board.  Super job Trent! Way to compete!

Congrats to all the other KY wrestlers that are bringing hardware home as well as to those that fell short but were willing to go outside your comfort zone.  

It was exciting being able to follow so many of our wrestlers at a national tournament.

• Upvote 5

Congratulations to Colin Stevens who was a big dark horse in this tourney great job to fight back hard after an early loss and to all the other All-Americans. Also

congrats to all the coaches who have spent the hours and time away from family and jobs to help these kids. Way to

represent Kentucky Wrestling on one of the biggest stages. We are proud of you all and keep up the hard work.

• Upvote 2

Even though it didn't work out in the finals we are very proud of the boys and their efforts.  They have had success at Virginia Beach during their 4 years of high school.

Ryan Moore is a 4X All American

Mason Smith is a 2x All American 2x finalist

Trent Johnson 3x All American

Multiple kids from KY are making the trip every year and I hope every year we continue as a state to send our kids to compete.  The high school journey is over for these 3 and what a ride it has been.  I hope more and more KY wrestlers continue to compete at National tournaments and get our state noticed.  We have so many great KY wrestlers and sky's the limit.

• Upvote 1

It's amazing how far Kentucky has come in the last 10+ years. I remember the days when we were lucky to get one placer at this event. Congrats to all of the wrestlers that took on the challenge. You all represented the state of Kentucky in a tremendous way. 

• Upvote 1

Really good job to both the kids and the coaches.  I really agree we should support and appreciate the time commitment these coaches (and parents) make to get the kids to these tournaments.  Kentucky showed well!!!!  11th place in the senior division is really outstanding, particularly since we didn't throw hundreds of kids at the tournament, as some states do.  Great, great job.

Now, underclassmen, wrestle freestyle, greco, sambo, folkstyle, any style you can, any time you can get on a mat.  Year round wrestling, if possible, and you will be a different wrestler next school year.  

• Upvote 1