gameface

Team Kentucky National Dual Team,Danville, Illinois 3/23-3/25

Team Kentucky Middle School National Duals Team will be going to Danville Illinois March 23-25th. Thank you for the support of Jon Carr with Kentucky USA wrestling for the entry fee of $850. Thank you to the Association and Tyler Baines for providing the gear for Team Kentucky. Our goal is to represent Kentucky on a National Stage, wrestle to the best of our ability and create friendships across the state that will last for years to come.  

7 hours ago, Jegators22 said:

I have a wrestler interested in being the 75 pounder. Will there be a wrestle off for that spot? If so, when and where would it take place?

I appreciate the interest in Team Kentucky. However the State Champ for that weight class decided to go, so there will be no wrestle off 

Actually, you have the 75 pound state champ moved up to 80 pounds. So, that should leave that weight open to Colin Tucker of Wayne since he placed second, if he was interested. If not, that place should only be automatically filled if there was only one kid wanting to take that spot. And if you are wanting to take the best team possible from Kentucky, there should be wrestle offs for the open spots. And I’m not sure how Jake Cain can be left off the team. Even though he lost to Kinley and Walls in the Middle School tournament, he turned around and beat both of them in the High School state tournament. I think he should be offered a chance to make the team as well. 

2 hours ago, Jegators22 said:

Actually, you have the 75 pound state champ moved up to 80 pounds. So, that should leave that weight open to Colin Tucker of Wayne since he placed second, if he was interested. If not, that place should only be automatically filled if there was only one kid wanting to take that spot. And if you are wanting to take the best team possible from Kentucky, there should be wrestle offs for the open spots. And I’m not sure how Jake Cain can be left off the team. Even though he lost to Kinley and Walls in the Middle School tournament, he turned around and beat both of them in the High School state tournament. I think he should be offered a chance to make the team as well. 

Are you Colin Tucker’s Parents Or Jake Cain’s parents?

18 minutes ago, 2yankees3 said:

Not Colin's parent.  He is walking around at 85 right now and could not make 75.

I appreciate the information. He had a great year! He’ll be fun to watch over the next several years! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jegators22 said:

Heres what I’d tell ya. It sucks. Blue is a top 5 middle school wrestler in the state regardless of weight class. But you know what he got beat at state and that keeps him off the team. Give the kids that beat them a little hand clap and wish them luck they earned it that day. There’s kids that deserve to be on the team that will not be on it. That’s just the natural of the beast. Good luck team Ky.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, DrBaker said:

Won't the team need a few backups? 

We are taking one wrestler per weight class. That is all the gear that is being provided to us. They have tried to have 2 teams in the past and Coach Carr said they had a difficult time filling 2 teams. This is my 2nd year volunteering to coach Team Kentucky. I’m doing my best to fill the team with State Champs and Runner Ups. Also understanding that the majority of kids have gained weight since State. So to understand that it’s post season and most of them have gained weight, I tried to place them in the weight thats closest to where the wrestled at State but several weights don’t align so they moved up to the next closest. Through this process, it sucks that there are kids that want to go and we have only so many weight classes. I’ve had a couple conversations with parents that I wish we could take their wrestlers because some are evenly matched up to the ones going and are just great kids and families. However, as the association stated, the State was the Team Qualifier. If there’s any open spots, we will offer a wrestle off at the KWOA as stated on the flier if needed. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Bluesdad said:

Heres what I’d tell ya. It sucks. Blue is a top 5 middle school wrestler in the state regardless of weight class. But you know what he got beat at state and that keeps him off the team. Give the kids that beat them a little hand clap and wish them luck they earned it that day. There’s kids that deserve to be on the team that will not be on it. That’s just the natural of the beast. Good luck team Ky.  

Great statement Gene. Blue is a top notch wrestler and one that you know any team would benefit from him being on it. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, gameface said:

YhWe are taking one wrestler per weight class. That is all the gear that is being provided to us. They have tried to have 2 teams in the past and Coach Carr said they had a difficult time filling 2 teams. This is my 2nd year volunteering to coach Team Kentucky. I’m doing my best to fill the team with State Champs and Runner Ups. Also understanding that the majority of kids have gained weight since State. So to understand that it’s post season and most of them have gained weight, I tried to place them in the weight thats closest to where the wrestled at State but several weights don’t align so they moved up to the next closest. Through this process, it sucks that there are kids that want to go and we have only so many weight classes. I’ve had a couple conversations with parents that I wish we could take their wrestlers because some are evenly matched up to the ones going and are just great kids and families. However, as the association stated, the State was the Team Qualifier. If there’s any open spots, we will offer a wrestle off at the KWOA as stated on the flier if needed. 

I have no doubt that the wrestlers on Team Ky, who qualified through MS State, highly deserve to be on it. Tough to find time to challenge the qualifier. It’s tough to even get them together to practice. 

• Upvote 2

I'm sure its tough to round them up, like herding cats. Whats the team looking like so far? Who's committed?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrBaker said:

I'm sure its tough to round them up, like herding cats. Whats the team looking like so far? Who's committed?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

How is this team looking? You have a lineup set?

Doc , last I heard we have a full team not sure who committed besides Deshaun.

On 2/28/2018 at 8:40 PM, gameface said:

We are taking one wrestler per weight class. That is all the gear that is being provided to us. They have tried to have 2 teams in the past and Coach Carr said they had a difficult time filling 2 teams. This is my 2nd year volunteering to coach Team Kentucky. I’m doing my best to fill the team with State Champs and Runner Ups. Also understanding that the majority of kids have gained weight since State. So to understand that it’s post season and most of them have gained weight, I tried to place them in the weight thats closest to where the wrestled at State but several weights don’t align so they moved up to the next closest. Through this process, it sucks that there are kids that want to go and we have only so many weight classes. I’ve had a couple conversations with parents that I wish we could take their wrestlers because some are evenly matched up to the ones going and are just great kids and families. However, as the association stated, the State was the Team Qualifier. If there’s any open spots, we will offer a wrestle off at the KWOA as stated on the flier if needed. 

So who’s going gameface

I finally got the last commitment from a parent, of a wrestler, that they were going last night. So here's who's going to Danville Illinois with Kentucky's 2018 National Dual Team. These are all finalist except for one at the last moment we had to fill a spot with a 3rd place finisher,but we are excited to have them represent Kentucky along with the rest of these great young men.

75 Jayden Raney McCracken State Champ

80 Jordan Raney McCracken State Champ

85 Joey Sander Ryle State Champ

90 Olivia Messerly Ryle 3rd Place

95 Jude Powell Colts State Runner-up

102 Cole Thomas Ryle State Champ

110 Issac Thorton Walton Verona State Runner-up

117 Zach Straus Ryle State Runner-up

125 Carter Messerly Ryle State Runner-up

132 Kolby Koepp State Champ

140 Caleb Wittry Scott County State Champ

150 Joel Hatchett River City State Runner-up

160 David Wallace McCracken State Runner-up

175 Uriah Virzi McCracken State Runner-up

195 Levid Rodriguez Johnson County State Champ

220 Deshaun Stevenson Holmes State Champ

275 Dillon Wayne LaRue County State Runner-up

Coaching Staff Head Coach Darren Thomas Ryle, Asst. Coaches Curt Messerly Ryle,Scott Raney McCracken, Jason Hale and Jerry Cooper Holmes.

Score Keeper Matt Sander

Special Thanks to Jon Carr of Kentucky USA Wrestling for covering the dual fees in Danville and for helping me with updating wrestlers cards, track wrestling and other behind the scene things he does for Kentucky Wrestling. Also thank you to KFWC and president Tyler Baines for sponsoring the teams gear and Efren Quirino of River City for producing the gear at a discounted price and getting it to us on time. We couldn't do it without your support gentleman.

• Upvote 2