Sign in to follow this  
halfhalfhalf

State recap

Anyways. What I really wanted to comment on was point #2 like everyone else. I thought leaving all the mats down and not moving the finals mat to the middle was a very poor decision and gave it a very novice feel (though I have been to novice tournaments that took the time to do this) the time to should have been a spotlight moment for those kids and fans. Almost like those in charge had a basketball game to go to and didn't want to take the 15 minutes to get it done. Heck, I'm sure the coaches would have gladly done it themselves in 10 minutes. Whoever made that decision has no place running a tournament let alone the State tournament. 

One kid who was fun to watch was Blake Evans.  Man can that kid scrabble.  His match with Bacon in the semi's had one of the greatest scrabbles I have ever seen, lasted for about 45 seconds. 

4 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

One kid who was fun to watch was Blake Evans.  Man can that kid scrabble.  His match with Bacon in the semi's had one of the greatest scrabbles I have ever seen, lasted for about 45 seconds. 

Blake is a great and very hard working young man. Sad to see him graduate without a title, but what a great young man he is.

How Saul Ervin did not win MVW is beyond me.  1st round pins 7th place finisher Mejia (SK) 1:00, 2nd round pins 6th place finisher Pierce (SO)  0:32.  Quarters round pins 5th place finisher Davis (Larue) 1:44.  Semifinals majors 3rd place finisher Roth (WV) 15-4. Finals defeats 2nd place finisher Yost (Wood) 9-3.  Whew was that a gauntlet. 

Only on 138. Still going through the brackets. 

All of the original points in the original post are very valid. I'd like to add in to the "show" part of the finals. We need a hype man to not say, "this guy is ranked number 2", and say, " HERE COMES THE DEFENDING STATE CHAMP!!!! HES 46-1, with 37 pins!!! Finalists meet in the center under the spotlight and stare each other down while a paragraph long biography is read. 

It really needs to be streamed. I know we can get a crew in there to do it. 

What can we do to change any of this? Are there any people on the board here? 

On a positive note, the ice cream was selling like crazy! We had a blast. Looking forward to a better event next year. 

• Upvote 1

As I said a great team ...but they have won state titles in.the past imo because they  got higher seeds and more guys out because their reg comp was weaker ...I could say they are the best team I have seen in ky yr in and out over the last few years but it still doesnt change facts ...

• Downvote 8

I just can't imagine witnessing what Union Co. has done in the last decade and have anything but admiration and respect for their coaches, kids and parents. They're far and away the best program in the state. It's damn impressive and others should take note on what it takes to build a top program even when you're a small school in a geographically isolated area. 

• Upvote 7

18 hours ago, DrBaker said:

All of the original points in the original post are very valid. I'd like to add in to the "show" part of the finals. We need a hype man to not say, "this guy is ranked number 2", and say, " HERE COMES THE DEFENDING STATE CHAMP!!!! HES 46-1, with 37 pins!!! Finalists meet in the center under the spotlight and stare each other down while a paragraph long biography is read. 

It really needs to be streamed. I know we can get a crew in there to do it. 

What can we do to change any of this? Are there any people on the board here? 

On a positive note, the ice cream was selling like crazy! We had a blast. Looking forward to a better event next year. 

DrBaker - I'm pretty sure they could pay a little extra to stream it through trackwrestling.

12 hours ago, LIONHEART said:

As I said a great team ...but they have won state titles in.the past imo because they  got higher seeds and more guys out because their reg comp was weaker ...I could say they are the best team I have seen in ky yr in and out over the last few years but it still doesnt change facts ...

Just because you get a higher seed out of region doesn't mean you'll always get a good draw come state. How many times have we seen a top kid wrestle another top kid in the quarters or 2nd round? 

5 minutes ago, pin2win said:

DrBaker - I'm pretty sure they could pay a little extra to stream it through trackwrestling.

Just because you get a higher seed out of region doesn't mean you'll always get a good draw come state. How many times have we seen a top kid wrestle another top kid in the quarters or 2nd round? 

I'm sure us fans would be glad to pay to watch it, or help someway to make it happen. 

Union County is the best program in the state right now. Anyone to try and discount the run they have had and are still on is just nuts. Jealousy is a green eyed monster. Congrats Union County on a top notch program! 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Bluesdad said:

Union County is the best program in the state right now. Anyone to try and discount the run they have had and are still on is just nuts. Jealousy is a green eyed monster. Congrats Union County on a top notch program! 

Agreed. Union is the best right now. Closing the gap on team championships. I will say that there seems to be a team in Woodford Co that has gotten under estimated the past few years, but we keep finding a way to the top 2,3,4. I see a championship coming back to Versailles pretty soon! Keep grinding boys! Well done Union, you guys are a class act. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

Agreed. Union is the best right now. Closing the gap on team championships. I will say that there seems to be a team in Woodford Co that has gotten under estimated the past few years, but we keep finding a way to the top 2,3,4. I see a championship coming back to Versailles pretty soon! Keep grinding boys! Well done Union, you guys are a class act. 

I wasn’t trying to take anything away from any other program in the state. If it seems that way I apologize coach. Woodford is the all time best program in the state with Union the best right now. Any kid would be lucky to wrestle for either program. There’s a lot of great programs in the state. Johnson Central here out east. Woodford, St. X, in central Ky and Union our west. There are many other great programs but these seem to be the ones in the fore front right now. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Bluesdad said:

I wasn’t trying to take anything away from any other program in the state. If it seems that way I apologize coach. Woodford is the all time best program in the state with Union the best right now. Any kid would be lucky to wrestle for either program. There’s a lot of great programs in the state. Johnson Central here out east. Woodford, St. X, in central Ky and Union our west. There are many other great programs but these seem to be the ones in the fore front right now. 

No sir. Didn’t take it like that at all. I was just piggy backing off of your compliment to Union.  Union was the best this year, hands down.  

• Upvote 2

On 2/18/2018 at 3:11 PM, grappler-of-old said:

How Saul Ervin did not win MVW is beyond me.  1st round pins 7th place finisher Mejia (SK) 1:00, 2nd round pins 6th place finisher Pierce (SO)  0:32.  Quarters round pins 5th place finisher Davis (Larue) 1:44.  Semifinals majors 3rd place finisher Roth (WV) 15-4. Finals defeats 2nd place finisher Yost (Wood) 9-3.  Whew was that a gauntlet. 

Only on 138. Still going through the brackets. 

Hard to argue with Johnson as well.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Josh_Claywell said:

Hard to argue with Johnson as well.

I said at soon as it was called that Johnson was a more than worthy participant. Johnson showed he was a rare talent that comes once in a generatuon

• Upvote 2

Too many deserving guys this year. You could also make a case for Cagen. Won it the finals with a pin. Won in what everyone was saying is the toughest weight class. Multiple time champ. He's done well for team KY. 

Tucker- undefeated, ranked number 1 2 years ago and blew his knee out. Rehabbed and got back into the tourney last year to lose early and come back through the wrestlebacks to pick up 3rd. Wrestling all year on a new acl and winning it is a big deal. Anyone with ACL surgery will tell you. 

Smallwood could make a case. He dominated all weekend even if the final score didn't show it. 

Pierce- he beat the unbeatable, nationally ranked HWT. 

Ryan Moore- untouchable and dominant

Mason Smith- unbeatable. Had a kid with national wins coming for him and it didn't phase him. Came out dominant and humble. 

Zane Brown- unbeatable and dominant. His might be next year. 

Damorean Travis- took out last years champ convincingly. Dominated through the tourney

Sam Grandstaff- completely dominant. His time will come.  

12 hours ago, CoachZ said:

I’m about certain Pierce didn’t give up a point in all five matches. 

It looks that way. That's very impressive. 

17 minutes ago, FalconWrestling said:

Johnson Central may be a title threat next year

JC will have 8-10 kids place next year with 4 of them having a real shot to win a state championship. Pierce, Horn, Horn, and Jackson. Should be a great season for JC next year. 

6 minutes ago, Bluesdad said:

JC will have 8-10 kids place next year with 4 of them having a real shot to win a state championship. Pierce, Horn, Horn, and Jackson. Should be a great season for JC next year. 

Will Blue Fletcher be on that team?

• Upvote 1