Sign in to follow this  
halfhalfhalf

State recap

No particular order:

1. Random draw. I was told back and forth multiple times we were or weren’t doing this. I actually liked it. Kept things interesting.

2. Not rolling the mats up and focusing on the kids. This is very tacky. I hope the powers that be can make this known this was ridiculous. 

3. The plaques and brackets by the coaches association. I commend the entire association for making this happen. I was able to hold a bracket and I think it is wonderful! Thank you!

4. Live streaming. The consistent reminder is BS. What I find ridiculous is that we are not streaming it via track wrestling. Especially when I can’t stream it if a parent is deployed. 

5. The schedule change. 

I really liked the format change where the wrestlebacks have 2 rounds on Saturday. 

6. Announcing

I want to commend Mr. Paden ln his announcing. It kept the attention on tight matches and highlighting them. I hope that next yr we can highlight a returning state champion who goes to a 2x-3x etc. 

overall great tournament. I have other complaints but I’ll keep those private. Congrats to union co on the 3-peat.

• Upvote 2

You point number 2 was so bad. I still can’t believe they did that. It’s sad how much the atmosphere of the state wrestling tournament has been ruined by having it at Alltech Arena. 

I really hope the powers-that-be get it moved soon. 

• Upvote 1

I was told by a khsaa staff person they were planning to break mats down and move the finals mat, but Tackett put a last minute stop to it. Absolutely pitiful!

11 minutes ago, DamonMBarnes said:

You point number 2 was so bad. I still can’t believe they did that. It’s sad how much the atmosphere of the state wrestling tournament has been ruined by having it at Alltech Arena. 

As bad as that was atleast it wasn’t like several years ago when they ran the consi finals with the championship finals. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, DamonMBarnes said:

Totally agree. The stands were nasty. My pants were covered in dirt multiple times. 

Been Watching Indiana's state final online on IHSAA Website and Fox Sports Indiana. I know Mizzu's was on TV as well. It matters how much effort the KHSAA wants to put into it. The Boys Basketball tourney should be played at Horse Park as well. Fair is Fair 

• Upvote 4

Did not like having all the mats out, either. It just takes away from the atmosphere.

Speaking of atmosphere, where was the crowd tonight? I don't remember seeing that many empty seats ...

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Josh_Claywell said:

Did not like having all the mats out, either. It just takes away from the atmosphere.

Speaking of atmosphere, where was the crowd tonight? I don't remember seeing that many empty seats ...

Was a completely dead arena. I think a large reason was due to the fact that St. X only had two finalists, which makes me feel bad for Konner Kraeszig. In years past, they have packed their portion of the stands.

48 minutes ago, Josh_Claywell said:

Totally agree. The venue wasn’t as packed as normal. Even the woodford section. 

Before i forget congrats to @thomam and Moore for the schools first state champion. 

32 minutes ago, Wcthrowback said:

I know people don’t like the idea of the tourney being 3 days but the Farnham Dudgeon Civic center was 100% better place was always pack much better atmosphere. 

Even with 2 days, broadbend would be a great atmosphere. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The Dungeon was the best atmosphere. I hate the horse park. Congrats to Union winning their third straight. Small school with less than 700 students beating St X with over 1300 boys and all those NKy teams, just impressive this run they have been on

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

I The Dungeon was the best atmosphere. I hate the horse park. Congrats to Union winning their third straight. Small school with less than 700 students beating St X with over 1300 boys and all those NKy teams, just impressive this run they have been on

I agree thwith dungeon was the premier spot. I wanted to come down for the finals this year but the KHSAA doesn’t give a time. It lumps it in with the the medal rounds. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

The Dungeon was the best atmosphere. I hate the horse park. Congrats to Union winning their third straight. Small school with less than 700 students beating St X with over 1300 boys and all those NKy teams, just impressive this run they have been on

A great team from a weak reg ...its all in numbers that make it out.

• Downvote 3

3 hours ago, LIONHEART said:

A great team PERIOD.  Region 1 had 4 teams in the top 25 in team points.  Union had 7 placers, 5 finalist, and 2 champs.  If you remove the kids that didn't place they only finish .5 behind St. X.  I agree Regional placement may help in the first couple rounds after that you have to wrestle and Union did just that.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, LIONHEART said:

Lionheart... you never fail to let me down with your crazy comments.

• Upvote 4

Four teams in top 25 ....Amazing ...how many teams in top 25.did each reg have ...and.how is it Crazy ...if you think Unions.reg has been.the toughest over the years you may be the one who needs a shrink ....and I said a great team...always been a fan but facts are facts ....why the PERIOD ..you people try to argue over things that are obvious to all  .I often wonder what some of your goals are ?

• Downvote 2

40 minutes ago, LIONHEART said:

Four teams in top 25 ....Amazing ...how many teams in top 25.did each reg have ...and.how is it Crazy ...if you think Unions.reg has been.the toughest over the years you may be the one who needs a shrink ....and I said a great team...always been a fan but facts are facts ....why the PERIOD ..you people try to argue over things that are obvious to all  .I often wonder what some of your goals are ?

With a little leg work  you could look it up.  I understand you like to shoot from the hip and not back anything up with facts.  I never said they had the toughest region.  Region 6 is the toughest year after year.   My goals are simple I'm always pulling for the team in UNION....That is the city of UNION.  HOME OF THE RAIDERS!!!

Top 25

Region 1 -4

Region 2-3

Region 3-0

Region 4-4

Region 5-3

Region 6-6

Region 7-3

Region 8-1

Just in case you have other questions about who returns I added the teams seniors and seniors that placed.  I only did the top 31 teams.

senior breakdown.pdf

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, LIONHEART said:

Facts don't matter to this guy... Annnnd it's a well known..

*insert response about how he or his kids are gods gift to Kentucky wrestling*

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LIONHEART said:

?? Well that's a questionable call... 

While I got a little laugh out of this comment I think there were 5 kids in the finals and 7 placers. Personally I value a State Championship at the duels over individual state and find it odd that this seems to be more the title everyone holds as the standard for who's the best team. To me individual state should be about the individuals. That being said, Union won small school state and the challenge against the big school so to imply they won the individual state simply because they took more kids because they're in a weak region is kind of like... well..  who cares? They had the best team in the State. And that's not a cocky or arrogant statement, I feel like its a very hard working, confident and humble group of boys that for the most part I've seen nothing but respect for other schools and wrestlers. And other schools in that region like Christian County, Caldwell and McCracken look to be on the rise so I wouldn't ever call them weak, they've got some tuff boys.

I guess if you want to try and take anything away from how hard that team works day in and day out you'll just have to wrestle them for it ;)

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, LIONHEART said:

I will say you are exactly right, it's all in the numbers that make it out. I believe Moore took the same number and also St X would have had the same number but their heavyweight got hurt or something? So I guess a few schools have weak regions??? I don't know, I didn't say it. But in Pennsylvania you could win the individual state tournament with 3 kids because no one was taking a dozen + kids so I know what you're saying. I just don't know why you'd have to state the obvious when I don't think anyone is wrestling in a "powerhouse" region where All the brackets are 5 or 6 studs deep in every bracket. Where are those regions?

• Upvote 1