Sign in to follow this  

Quarterfinals Matchups

10 hours ago, EagleEye said:

This isn’t a quarters matchup but #2 Deprest and #3 Jenkins in the second round at 195 

The top quarter bracket in 195 is loaded. The potential quarter matchup after #2/#3 is with #4 Bussell or #9 Hawkins.

Hawkins beat #6 Vasquez at State Duals. 

Isn't this all hypothetical? What about the first round? Why even bother going and wrestling? let's just fill out the brackets based on rankings and mail these kids medals. Save a lot of time and money. Who says the number one or two guy isn't going to crushed in the first round?

Nobody says that isn't possible. Upsets are fun too! You should start a potential upset thread and talk about that. This is all speculation but some of it is based on historical performance and head to head matchups. 

Good luck at the tourney and have fun!

33 minutes ago, Eat at Joe's said:

The top quarter bracket in 195 is loaded. The potential quarter matchup after #2/#3 is with #4 Bussell or #9 Hawkins.

Hawkins beat #6 Vasquez at State Duals. 

The bottom quarter is pretty loaded too, with Kulmer, Vazquez, Horn and Seeney with almost half of the top 10 in the weight class.

1 hour ago, Alf said:

Isn't this all hypothetical? What about the first round? Why even bother going and wrestling? let's just fill out the brackets based on rankings and mail these kids medals. Save a lot of time and money. Who says the number one or two guy isn't going to crushed in the first round?

Its is all hypothetical. It's based on made up odds of made up numbers. All these numbers make the matchups more fun. I think most of us are getting at, that these matchups should be in the semis and finals so that the people that work Friday can actually see them. 

2 hours ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Second Round matchup between Gabe Adams (#1) and Tyler Storck (#4). 

The #1 ranked wrestler at 120 (Gabe Adams) can potentially end up wrestling #4 in the 2nd round, #3 in the quarters #6 in the semifinals and #2 in the championship.  He will leave no doubters in the stands after completing this feat.  Many complain about the blind draw but I love it for reasons such as this.  As many hope and pray for a favorable draw come state tournament how rewarding would it be after the season  to be able to chuckle  as you talk about advancing through this bracket on your way to a state title.  Go get'em Gabe!  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, REscalera said:

The #1 ranked wrestler at 120 (Gabe Adams) can potentially end up wrestling #4 in the 2nd round, #3 in the quarters #6 in the semifinals and #2 in the championship.  He will leave no doubters in the stands after completing this feat.  Many complain about the blind draw but I love it for reasons such as this.  As many hope and pray for a favorable draw come state tournament how rewarding would it be after the season  to be able to chuckle  as you talk about advancing through this bracket on your way to a state title.  Go get'em Gabe!  

I was just looking at that. What a gauntlet.

FWIW...the Woods kid from Calloway in last year's tourney majored (13-0) the #2 ranked (Jett)  in the second round, beat a returning finalist (Irving) in the semis, and pinned the #1 in the finals (Steven). Woods was ranked 13th coming into the tourney. Probably the best 2 day run I've seen in my 10 years of watching Kentucky wrestling.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, mac00135 said:

FWIW...the Woods kid from Calloway in last year's tourney majored (13-0) the #2 ranked (Jett)  in the second round, beat a returning finalist (Irving) in the semis, and pinned the #1 in the finals (Steven). Woods was ranked 13th coming into the tourney. Probably the best 2 day run I've seen in my 10 years of watching Kentucky wrestling.

He was from West Ky. Some of those teams don't travel to competition on the other side of the state where most of the input for rankings come from. His record was incredible though, maybe 1 or 2 losses at most. 

30 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

He was from West Ky. Some of those teams don't travel to competition on the other side of the state where most of the input for rankings come from. His record was incredible though, maybe 1 or 2 losses at most. 

He had only 1 loss. People in west Ky knew who he was. 

4 hours ago, DrBaker said:

He had only 1 loss. People in west Ky knew who he was. 

He will hate me putting him on the spot like this but at the start of the tournament Tyler Nikolao (former Fort Campbell state qualifier, one of David Nikolao's many brothers) came up to me and told me flat out that David Woods was going to win the state title and he would put money on it if he could. I laughed and shook my head at him at the time but he was right.

5 minutes ago, BobcatWrestling said:

What happened to him? Wasn't he a junior last year?

He is a senior this year. As far as I heard, he couldn't stay out of trouble.