Chris Duke

placed vs ranked

18 minutes ago, Chris Duke said:

I think this is close considering Eastern Kentucky likes to keep everything a big secret.

placed vs ranked.pdf

Talk about having your finger on the pulse all year and ranking these kids!! Thank you Chris Duke for taking the time and putting it together all year for us. It sure did create some talk on the forum for all of us who love wrestling. Congratulations to all the Placers this year. And to those who finally made it to the top of the podium, my hats off to you. What a way to catch the dream!! 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Chris Duke said:

I think this is close considering Eastern Kentucky likes to keep everything a big secret.

placed vs ranked.pdf

After seeing that only 2 champs were ranked 4th or below, it's clear to see that the North KY mafia isn't forcing your hand when it comes to your rankings.  Great job!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Bulldoglife said:

Just curious with Noah headed to High school if you're still keeping it running next year or will you take over High School?

I’m predicting with Mason winning a state championship and heads off to wrestle at West Point, Brandon heads to DisneyWorld to celebrate in the princess castle after the win and never returns from Florida!!!  So Duke joins Ranger and fills Cornett’s shoes and they cover the MS and HS for the next 4 years. After that, someone better step up or the rankings will be bye-bye!!!

• Upvote 3

Don’t let that eastern Kentucky bunch  with that giant yellow bus  with that discreet flashing beacon on top trick you into thinking they are traveling to  West Virginia, Ohio or Tennessee. I happen to know that they are all Soviet trained Russian spies/ wrestlers left here from Hillary’s probe into the Trump campaign. Really, the accent tells on em if you listen close. They are hiding in plain sight.. wake up America!!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, DocHoliday said:

What a class act!

5 hours ago, Challenger said:

Nobody worthwhile in eastern ky anyways!!! 

You tell em challenger!!! Especially in Johnson County, I would underestimate that little school team on every level. 

All jokes aside congratulations to all Kentucky wrestlers no matter if your western,northern, central or Eastern for a Great weekend. 

People can hate on Eastern Ky all they want, but generally you won’t get hate back cause we were raised better. Just like  dropping a big Ole dirty word and Mom finding out. For the record, you could never get used to the taste of Ivory soap. (Thanks Mom)

Eagles forever, forever Eagles

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

OK this old mind is not understanding the report.  Can someone explain this to an old fart like me. Seems to me Walton was predicted to get 26th and got 1st. 

The way I’m reading it is they placed that may places higher than their wrestlers were seeded.  

I’m lost on this as well. Did track automatically place a seed on all the kids Wrestling in the middle school tournament? I see that it is a differential. But how did it come up with said differential. We only seeded the regional winners or does track just go by records and place a seed on them?

On 2/5/2018 at 10:21 AM, Bulldoglife said:

Just curious with Noah headed to High school if you're still keeping it running next year or will you take over High School?

Guess it all depends on my youngest.  If he wrestles next year I’ll do it.  If he doesn’t wrestle next year I might do it.  I do not see me doing anything with the high school.  Ranger does a great job. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chris Duke said:

Guess it all depends on my youngest.  If he wrestles next year I’ll do it.  If he doesn’t wrestle next year I might do it.  I do not see me doing anything with the high school.  Ranger does a great job. 

He also has Cornett doing it with him. So you’ll make a nice “Cornett” once he stays at DisneyWorld after Mason wins!!

• Upvote 2

Not a perfect metric because as mentioned we don't seed all 16, but I would say the way our bracket fills out the seeds probably aren't totally off. Example:

at 86 Moore was the #1, Johnson #2, Begley #3, Roe #4. Messerly was Region runner up to Moore and went to the #6 spot. Fortier was runner up to Johnson and went to the #5. Gilbert was runner up to Begley and went to the #8. Mattingly was runner up to Roe and went to the #7 spot. 

WV points on this report:

70 Meyer seeded 6 finished 4 = +2

75 Anderson seeded 8 finished 4 = +4

80 Spalding seeded 8 finished 2 = +6

86 Moore seeded 1 finished 1 = 0

105 Thornton seeded 3 finished 2 = +1

113 Beane seeded 6 finished 1 = +5

152 Freeman seeded 3 finished 4 = -1

190 Watson seeded 12  finished 3 = +9

1 hour ago, Ranger123 said:

Not a perfect metric because as mentioned we don't seed all 16, but I would say the way our bracket fills out the seeds probably aren't totally off. Example:

at 86 Moore was the #1, Johnson #2, Begley #3, Roe #4. Messerly was Region runner up to Moore and went to the #6 spot. Fortier was runner up to Johnson and went to the #5. Gilbert was runner up to Begley and went to the #8. Mattingly was runner up to Roe and went to the #7 spot. 

WV points on this report:

70 Meyer seeded 6 finished 4 = +2

75 Anderson seeded 8 finished 4 = +4

80 Spalding seeded 8 finished 2 = +6

86 Moore seeded 1 finished 1 = 0

105 Thornton seeded 3 finished 2 = +1

113 Beane seeded 6 finished 1 = +5

152 Freeman seeded 3 finished 4 = -1

190 Watson seeded 12  finished 3 = +9

It is cool to look at, but what does it actually show?  Using your WV #’s, I don’t think anyone would consider Spalding an 8 seed, would you? Skews the #’s quite a bit when top 2 or 3 are in the same region.

Same report using Duke’s rankings would be interesting.

2 hours ago, MLee said:

It is cool to look at, but what does it actually show?  Using your WV #’s, I don’t think anyone would consider Spalding an 8 seed, would you? Skews the #’s quite a bit when top 2 or 3 are in the same region.

Same report using Duke’s rankings would be interesting.

I think it shows relative to where you were placed in the bracket how did you perform. Do I think Spalding is an 8?  No way. I expected him to win it. But going in he was the "3" at best and getting that 8 draw the odds are stacked against you making the finals. 

As for a report using Dukes rankings really just shows how well HE ranked certain teams. The teams and kids he knows well he likely nailed. But some of those teams and kids who are never seen or have results reported probably make him look bad.