halfhalfhalf

girls qualifying for state

Priscella Brownfield of Campbell 2006, lost in blood rd. That' last one I know of. 

Jaine Stephens for whitley is making the drop to 106, I think she can qualify this year. 

9 minutes ago, coachteater said:

Priscella Brownfield of Campbell 2006, lost in blood rd. That' last one I know of. 

Jaine Stephens for whitley is making the drop to 106, I think she can qualify this year. 

I knew Priscella. She was TOUGH.

I see the ranks growing in youth. Middle and high school are also. I think it is time Kentucky starts thinking about this side of wrestling. A lot of very good female wrestlers don't continue into high school. There are a lot of people behind the scenes that are pushing and trying to grow this side but help is needed by all. I hope my daughter will see the day, before she graduates, when Kentucky has it's first state all female tournament. 

1 minute ago, Wrestledad said:

I see the ranks growing in youth. Middle and high school are also. I think it is time Kentucky starts thinking about this side of wrestling. A lot of very good female wrestlers don't continue into high school. There are a lot of people behind the scenes that are pushing and trying to grow this side but help is needed by all. I hope my daughter will see the day, before she graduates, when Kentucky has it's first state all female tournament. 

Trust me..... I am pushing it like crazy from me. I have spoken to Danny Upchurch on numerous occasions to get this pushed through to get it in front of the right people.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GentleBeard said:

There are people around the state working hard to make it happen. I think this off season will present some interesting opportunities.

I definitely think it will present some opportunities. 

I know there is something chatter about it now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Spatola Classic has added a girls division this year. Youth - adult open. So girls bring your Moms and get on the mat. Seriously,  this tournament has gotten much better since he moved to UC.

• Upvote 1

For KY state girls information, tournaments, camp dates etc.  There is a facebook page "Kentucky Female wrestling" We plan on attending the major off season tournaments and are putting teams together for some of the more local ones. There will also be 4 Spring mini-camps held at Cumberlands.

• Upvote 1

On 1/25/2018 at 2:26 PM, Braves coach said:

I hope it does Not happen. I have twins wrestling Ms. They take a beating but both are All Americans. When we go to all girl national tournaments they dominate. Just my 2 cents.

I agree to an extent. Wrestling the boys has it's up side for a certain amount of time. The big difference occurs when going from the middle school level to the high school level. Muscle bound boys are the norm. This is my daughter's freshman year and she just came back from about 3 weeks off for a concussion. We are getting ready for our nationals season right now and the things she has experienced this year have helped her grow. All angles need to be debated and decisions agreed to in order for this sport to grow.

On 1/25/2018 at 11:17 AM, coachteater said:

Jaine won't be dropping this year--injury and the flu got us :(

On 1/29/2018 at 10:05 PM, Wrestledad said:

I agree to an extent. Wrestling the boys has it's up side for a certain amount of time. The big difference occurs when going from the middle school level to the high school level. Muscle bound boys are the norm. This is my daughter's freshman year and she just came back from about 3 weeks off for a concussion. We are getting ready for our nationals season right now and the things she has experienced this year have helped her grow. All angles need to be debated and decisions agreed to in order for this sport to grow.

That's why my daughter quit this year...3X YOUTH back to back to back regional champion. .. She said she prefer to wrestle girls and retired on me..... She said if she looks cute in the singlet she will wrestle next year smh. . Not sure if KY is big enough for a girls team but I'd like to try.

• Upvote 2

We are working on it!  Go to the Kentucky Female wrestling facebook page for information on camps and what all girls tournaments we will be attending :)

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Bond James Bond said:

That's why my daughter quit this year...3X YOUTH back to back to back regional champion. .. She said she prefer to wrestle girls and retired on me..... She said if she looks cute in the singlet she will wrestle next year smh. . Not sure if KY is big enough for a girls team but I'd like to try.

Fighting for it now. Hopefully something can be put together soon!

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, halfhalfhalf said:

Fighting for it now. Hopefully something can be put together soon!

If KENTUCKY put together Female teams? I guarantee that the female wrestling numbers would go thru the roof. I know parents who don't want a boy wrestling their daughter. ..

Every other sport has a male and female team... Why shouldn't wrestling! 

I agree!  I hope you all can get this idea to become a reality! 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Football still has females 

22 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Football still has females playing. 

Probably less females in football than in wrestling.  You got me there ... No female football teams, that I know of....

I still think KY Wrestling should have a female division. 

I have a daughter, so my opinion on this issue won't change. 

I understand that wrestling boys make them better. 

But numbers wise? If we had ALL Female wrestling teams? I believe the number of female wrestlers would go thru the roof. ... I bet KY would be shocked at how many females would participate,  if we had all female wrestling teams.

What do you think Grappler of old?

Pros vs Cons of ALL female Wrestling teams?

• Upvote 2

I'm a supporter of all female teams, and think it could take off, but I also see challenges from the coaching side. 

Although it may not be the case in all programs,  there is a shortage in coaches already. I know myself and others have had difficulty finding coaches for all levels. When you add female teams, you are going to find it difficult to find coaches. 

I think you're going to see difficulties in coordinating practice times and sharing facilities.  Although coaches like myself are flexible,  many are not. Many are already splittng time between hs, middle, and youth in one space. While not impossible,  it is a difficulty.  

Think it will also take time to create new events and scheduling. With low numbers to begin I think you will see few events for all female teams. And I think most current high school events are already too large to add female division to their tournaments.  

Another challenge I feel will be male coaches with female wrestlers. As we all know, coaching wrestling is very hands on. I know personally I'm on the mats everyday working with kids. I think many coaches will be very reluctant to coach females in fear of being accused of any improper activies. 

These are just a few difficulties I see as we move forward. Again I'm all for it and supportive, but I think these are a few things that will make us see slow movement in this direction.  

13 minutes ago, ccbcdeke said:

Does anybody know how many teams wrestled in the first boys state tournament?

And was it sanctioned by the KHSAA?

1965- 17 teams listed at state- khsaa sport. 

This is on khsaa website records

6 minutes ago, coachteater said:

1965- 17 teams listed at state- khsaa sport. 

This is on khsaa website records

Thanks.  I was just too lazy to look it up.  tbh.

To your other point, with the number of women graduating college and going into the teaching field, a girls high school team may be just the opportunity they are looking for to coach other girls.  Your post sounded like you would be counting on men to fill those coaching positions.

• Upvote 1

1964 was the 1st state tourney.  I don't have the complete records for that one.  In 1965 there were 17 teams.  Neither of these years was it sanctioned. 

The 1st sanctioned state tourney was 1966. The number of teams per year through the 60-70s

64-- ?---------------------70--27

65-- 17-------------------71--40

66-- 16-------------------72--42

67--22--------------------73--46

68--23--------------------74--49

69--24--------------------75--49

1976 had 59. was the most till

2002 with 64 teams  

03 and 04 with 66, 

06 with 69 

2007 with 73,

2009 with 74,

2010, with 77

2011 with 80

2012 with 82

2014 with 88

2015 with 89

2017 with 93 teams 

7 minutes ago, ccbcdeke said:

Thanks.  I was just too lazy to look it up.  tbh.

To your other point, with the number of women graduating college and going into the teaching field, a girls high school team may be just the opportunity they are looking for to coach other girls.  Your post sounded like you would be counting on men to fill those coaching positions.

Definitely a good opportunity for them, but still are very limited numbers of them out there. Numbers may come, but it will be slow.