Chris Duke

Rankings 1-21-18

We finally have weight classes.  With only 1 week of updates left I changed it up this week.  I listed my top 10 for each weight class.  If a wrestler is listed they finished top 4 in their region.  

With Ryle's results at regionals they pulled ahead of Walton.  Walton drops a spot to #3 behind Carr.  The Raiders had a strong showing with 8 Regional Champions, qualifying 23 wrestlers,  and 3 alternates.   

1-21-18.pdf

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, Chris Duke said:

We finally have weight classes.  With only 1 week of updates left I changed it up this week.  I listed my top 10 for each weight class.  If a wrestler is listed they finished top 4 in their region.  

With Ryle's results at regionals they pulled ahead of Walton.  Walton drops a spot to #3 behind Carr.  The Raiders had a strong showing with 8 Regional Champions, qualifying 23 wrestlers,  and 3 alternates.   

1-21-18.pdf

Shout out to Coach Ruschell and his coaching staff. That was an incredible showing over the weekend.  Great job running the tournament too!

Scary to think what that team would look like with Duke, Belk, and Colemire all wrestling this season! 

Good luck Raiders!

• Upvote 1

On 1/22/2018 at 6:33 PM, Louden Swain said:

Dalton Matney @98 from JC is in 4th grade.

So...If he is in 4th grade this year, was he a 3rd grader last year or did he repeat 4th grade? Hmmm?  He was listed as a 4th grader back in 2015 too? If so, how was he eligible to compete? 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, mKay06 said:

So...If he is in 4th grade this year, was he a 3rd grader last year or did he repeat 4th grade? Hmmm?  He was listed as a 4th grader back in 2015 too? If so, how was he eligible to compete? 

Or maybe you just had bad intel...Hmmm?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 1/25/2018 at 8:01 PM, JCB0577 said:

Thanks Matt.  Jackson appreciates that.  But you are correct.  Duke, Colemire, and Belk would be crazy.  But they are strong anyway.  

After duels you might want to look at 240 again

Edited by Paula Carpenter
Wrong quote sorry on a phone

On 1/25/2018 at 9:45 PM, mKay06 said:

Boy you really thought you had the scoop didn't you? Try doing a little research for yourself because taking the word from a butt hurt parent will get you almost every time.  

Believe it or not.  I am a big fan of Blue.  Good luck this weekend.  Wish my son was there.  But if he was it would be in the 168+.  lol  Kid has put on 40 flipping pounds since last year.  (thank god for freshman football).  But good luck to all the wrestlers.  

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:51 PM, Louden Swain said:

@Louden Swain I'm not sure how it could be bad intel. I am certain my son wrestled a Dalton Matney from JC at 86/88lbs last season in the Region 4 Tournament.  It 's possible that he may not have been listed as a 4th grader in 2015. I may have seen that somewhere on this forum so you right, that may not be the best intel.  Maybe it was a different wrestler with the same name from JC that competed in the District/Region/State Tournaments the past three years. However, if it is the same wrestler, I do not understand how he would be eligible to compete. If he is in 4th grade this year, he would have been competing as a 3rd grader in 2017, 2nd grade in 2016, & 1st grade in 2015. According to the by-laws a wrestler has to be in 4th grade to be eligible to compete in Middle School. If he repeated a grade or 2 for whatever reason, per the by-laws, repeating a grade renders the athlete ineligible as well. 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 4:00 PM, Beefstew said:

Boy you really thought you had the scoop didn't you? Try doing a little research for yourself because taking the word from a butt hurt parent will get you almost every time.  

@Beefstew I am not really trying to get any "scoop" nor do I need to listen to a so-called "butt hurt" parent. I  don't need to nor am here for all of that. We have a wrestler in our club that is the same birth year and was interested in wrestling MS as a 3rd grader but was told that he had to be in 4th grade in order to wrestle MS.  Maybe you can provide some clarity because apparently we were either misinformed or misunderstood the eligibility requirements.  Or maybe we just mistaken him for another wrestler from JC. I don't know.

At any rate, it is what it is. This is a great sport & we have some pretty awesome talent across the state. We are going to enjoy my son's last MS State Tournament. Looking forward to HS.

Best of luck to all the wrestlers competing for a spot on top of the podium this weekend.

• Upvote 1

From last year’s MS state tournament

Dalton Mattney (2-4) place is unknown.

• Champ. Round 1 - Bryant Beane (Walton-Verona) 6-2 won by major decision over Dalton Mattney (Johnson County) 2-4 (MD 14-4)
  • Cons. Round 1 - Skylar Baumgardner (Central Hardin) 16-6 won by decision over Dalton Mattney (Johnson County) 2-4 (Dec 4-2)

http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/predefinedtournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=1367076

On 1/25/2018 at 10:51 PM, Louden Swain said:

On 1/31/2018 at 4:00 PM, Beefstew said:

If the athlete in question is currently a 4th grader (the minimum grade allowable for participation in the Middle School state tournament series according to our by-laws), I see no reason to attack Wrestling Mom 4-2 for asking why he was eligible in years past.  As a fourth grader who turned 10 years old in November of 2016, he is less than a year younger than my 6th grader...and considering that he won the 3rd grade Adidas/Brute National Championship last year, maybe he repeated an earlier grade or started school late.  (And there are a number of legitimate reasons for a child doing so.)  With that said, however, it does not explain his participation in the following...

2015 - 75 lbs Middle School State Championship Qualifier as a 1st grader

2016 - 75 lbs Middle School District 8 Champion as a 2nd grader

2017 - 86 lbs Middle School District 8 Runner-Up as a 3rd grader

2018 - 98 lbs Middle School Region 4 3rd place as a 4th grader

This is not bad intel nor is it taking the word of a "___- hurt" parent as it is research that comes directly from TrackWrestling. 

• Upvote 3

When did the rule go into affect that you had to be in 4th grade to compete in middle school? My son “Blue” competed in middle school since he was in the 2nd grade. Maybe Dalton was grandfathered in. Why does everyone always look to the conspiracy theories?

• Upvote 1

As long as a wrestler participated in the post season before the rule passed he would be grandfathered in.  

As far as repeating a grade guess it depends on when he repeated.   I do not like this rule never have never will.  As long as a wrestler is under the maximum  age he should be allowed to compete.  

• Upvote 1

While I mostly agree Chris, this rule was put into place around 2013-2014 (from memory) as the board worked to more closely align our policies with the KHSAA and hopefully limit their intervention into our sport. As for grandfathering, at the time I asked anyone who would be grandfathered to contact the board and be approved ahead of time.

My two cents.  If a kid is youth I don't think we punish a kid for repeating a grade.  Many times in gradeschool kids are retained because of maturity issues.  Maybe they have a late birthday and started early and is retained to be with kids closer to his/her age and maturity level. 

However once in middle school 6-8 I believe a kid should not be able to participate a second year at the same grade.  At this age retention occurs because of academics.  If a kid is not holding his own academically then he should not be participating in extra curricular activities so that he/she can focus on their academics. With that said I also believe that kid should be involved with the team as much as possible (practice and attending events with the team). 

That was my point. If they are retained because of this in youth then they would continue to wrestle in youth. Therefore if they are a 3rd or 4th grader and retained they remain a 3rd or 4th grader.  If they are wrestling middle school already then they are not having maturity issues in wrestling.  When I mention maturity issues I mean mental not physical.  Wrestling in unique in the fact that they are in wt. classes.  They wrestle kids close to their own physical body.  Wrestling can help with the mental part, so why punish them when they can benefit from it.  Youth and middle school are developmental sports getting them ready for high school and maybe later to collage.  Why worry if a kid is a second year 4th grader, he/she is already struggling with one part of their life.  If they are being successful in wrestling then let them have one thing that they are succeeding at, don't take that away also especially at this age. 

I have a little experience with this GOO Jr. has a late birthday.  Mama GOO started him early so he would then graduate at the age of 17.  When he reached the 3rd grade he was not keeping up at the beginning of the year and struggled to catch up at the end of the year.  We could see the maturity difference and we retained him that year. With that said I would not allow him to compete in wrestling tournaments until the 4th grade.  I allowed him to practice 1st through 3rd (which ended up 2 years), and finally allowed him to compete in the 4th grade youth tournaments. Not saying this is what I think everyone should do, but it is what we decided to do.  

Remember youth especially is suppose to be fun, not a meat grinder and uber competitive.  Most kids at this age don't get it yet.  If you punish him/her and don't allow them to wrestle they probably won't really understand why and go to another sport like soccer or basketball and leave wrestling forever. 

WOW did I get on my soapbox for that one.  SORRY.