Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2017/2018 - JANUARY 11

We worked on this update early in the week, but late practices and mid-week events prevented me from getting it posted.  A few big notes:

- St X made a big statement at the Jeff Co Tournament; they are in a dead heat with Walton for the 2nd spot and both teams moving even closer to Union

- New #1 at 106 with Grandstaff dropping down

- there are still a number of teams with slow or non-existent posting of results on track

If you see a big result send me a pm to make sure I catch it.  Each week we try to go through results for a lot of the top 10 kids and hit as many of the top 25 as time permits.

Rankings_17_18_0111.pdf

2 things

1. Very tough situation for those doing the rankings at 195 with Kulmer losing to previously unranked Deprest. Kid goes from unranked to 3rd in state in 9 days. With that being said Kulmer is proven as well. Very very tough indeed.

2. Does anyone know if John Hardin or Male will be at Dragon Invitational? Unsure what else they would be doing on that day?

10 hours ago, 385 said:

2 things

1. Very tough situation for those doing the rankings at 195 with Kulmer losing to previously unranked Deprest. Kid goes from unranked to 3rd in state in 9 days. With that being said Kulmer is proven as well. Very very tough indeed.

2. Does anyone know if John Hardin or Male will be at Dragon Invitational? Unsure what else they would be doing on that day?

Male will not. They will be hosting their own tournament.  

Male, Central, Tates Creek, PRP, Providence (IN), Danville, Walton Verona, Larue Co, Conner, Waggener, Madison Cental,  Fern Creek, Trinity

10 hours ago, 385 said:

2 things

Good question on deprest. He was previously ranked (about 11 I believe) before Christmas. As I recall when I pulled him up on track I saw NO results for this season so I pulled him. Then when I saw his win over Kulmer I looked and he has results from earlier in the year. Not sure if I messed that one up or if St X was slow inputting his results. Either way, not a total surprise that he is in the hunt. 

1 hour ago, Ranger123 said:

Good question on deprest. He was previously ranked (about 11 I believe) before Christmas. As I recall when I pulled him up on track I saw NO results for this season so I pulled him. Then when I saw his win over Kulmer I looked and he has results from earlier in the year. Not sure if I messed that one up or if St X was slow inputting his results. Either way, not a total surprise that he is in the hunt. 

He was wrestling JV behind Marrett at 220 until this last weekend. 

1 minute ago, DrBaker said:

He was wrestling JV behind Marrett at 220 until this last weekend. 

Still would have expected to see some results on track. Especially from X who does a very good job getting kids mat time. Again, it is very possible I just missed his results but who knows. 

27 minutes ago, zaniac said:

What teams will be at male?

Male, Central, Tates Creek, PRP, Providence (IN), Danville, Walton Verona, Larue Co, Conner, Waggener, Madison Cental,  Fern Creek, Trinity

• Upvote 1

Definitely not a surprise to see Deprest in the hunt. Should be a fun year and a half from here on out between he and Kulmer. 

A side note - I really, really don’t understand the logic of Male choosing to host a tournament on the same day of one of the most established and well ran tournaments of the year, that is just a stone throw away. Makes no sense to me to pull teams away instead of just picking another date. I’m sure it must be logistics or something, but I find it hard to believe that there would be no other dates available to them. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 385 said:

Definitely not a surprise to see Deprest in the hunt. Should be a fun year and a half from here on out between he and Kulmer. 

A side note - I really, really don’t understand the logic of Male choosing to host a tournament on the same day of one of the most established and well ran tournaments of the year, that is just a stone throw away. Makes no sense to me to pull teams away instead of just picking another date. I’m sure it must be logistics or something, but I find it hard to believe that there would be no other dates available to them. 

There's a 100 schools that wrestle in Ky and only 16 that can go to the dragon. You also have capital city classic that day and a couple others as well. Coach McCoy runs great tournaments and this gives teams another option to choose. All the teams could still stay at the dragon if they choose and he would still get enough teams for their tournament.  

I will also say that finding a date to start a new tournament is very difficult.  CompetING with basketball for gym time, finding teams not locked in to dates, and working around the tournaments you want to go to makes it difficult.  Coach McCoy saw an opportunity,  and looks like he found a great date. He has some great teams and I have no doubt it will be ran smooth and be a great tournament. 

I will be glad to explain why I am hosting a tournament the same weekend as the Dragon. Michael Herchenrader Jr. was the second person I met from Male when I started the program. He was our athletic directors right hand man and was well beloved by all of the student athletes, coaches, and staff at Male. He would do anything I asked of him and he was one of our biggest fans. As a WWE fan, he would always come in and ask when we could have a tables and chairs match with him. He was known around as Coach Mike. 5 years ago today, Coach Mike passed away unexpectedly at the age of 28. At our first dual after his passing, we left a coaches chair empty with a Male shirt draped over the chair to hold a spot for Coach Mike. Since than I have been planning this for him once I could get the gym. I saw it fitting to have the tournament on this date being his passing was January 17th. The tournament is not named the Male Invitational or the Bulldog. It is the Michael Herchenrader Jr. Memorial Tournament. I hope this clears the air on my intentions.

On 1/15/2018 at 5:02 PM, PopperK said:

Kulmer will not be at the Dragon. Trinity JV.

The coaches have decided to send Kulmer to the Dragon instead of Male.