Sign in to follow this  
coachteater

Farnham Dudgeon Civic Center

Well looks like the dudgeon is gone, but atleast for me, will live forever. From 1996-2012 it hosted state and was an amazing environment. Wrestling there 3 years and coaching for many more, i never missed state once in that time. Some of my fondest memories were made in that building and biggest heartbreaks as well. I know its special for so many and it's sad to be gone. Thanks for the memories,  R.I.P. Farnham Dudgeon Civic Center

26196017_344594109356717_6448929515903762567_n.jpg

They are taking down the tower in the background of that photo as well. After all is leveled, they will replace it with much needed state office buildings to beautify our riverfront. Love our hard earned tax dollars being spent on these kind of projects. (I know, sarcasm is hard to read into in text, but trust me, it’s all in there!) 

• Upvote 1

I didn't know all this was happening.  Dang had to wipe a tear from my eye. The greatest state tournaments were held there.  Absolutely the greatest environment ever. 

This is the Tower next to civic center. This is where they are starting the construction and demolition. The civic center is under way and will be demolished first before tower is brought down.

There are currently zero plans to rebuild a new civic center/venue, it will be "green space"... Thank you Governor and city officials for all of your hours of thoughtful planning...said no one! Lol!

• Upvote 1

My family got into the sport in 2005 and made our first trip there in 2006. Loved the atmosphere the place had. Coaching there and watching my older son compete there was great. Even celebrated my twins 18th birthday there sad day for sure. My younger son grew up dreaming of getting his chance to be on those mats only to have his days spent in Lexingtons new site. He still talks about how much he just wished he would have  gotten to wrestled there once. Thanks for the great times.

• Upvote 1

Saw videos on Facebook today of the demolitioning efforts. Not too many words that can describe the feeling, other than a punch to the gut. Tough to watch for sure. Congrats to all of those who ever competed there. You were truly blessed with a wonderful atmosphere that may never be found again within our state. 

• Upvote 2

Not sure you can blame the current Governor or Councils for this though.  They are just the ones having to deal with the issue at hand.  The civic center was a huge loss to the state, almost 1.5-3 million a year for a better part of a decade.  (before wrestling left.)  In reality, it should have been scraped before the put the money into it to make it ADA compliant, specifically since KSU built the on campus arena.  

Better to tear down the old, stop the money losses and possibly do something in the future. 

• Downvote 1

Hurts my heart to see this building being torn down. A LOT of good and bad memories took place here. I started attending the state wrestling tournament in 1994. My father and grandfather would take me to watch my uncle’s team compete (Big Rusty Parks- Woodford County). I fell in love with the sport immediately from the first time I attended a Woodford practice and a state tournament in Frankfort. This building had a lot of influence on me and my drive to become a champion in wrestling. I wanted nothing more than to wrestle on Saturday night under the spotlight. Amazing atmosphere!! Amazing stories to tell because of this place that I’ll never forget. 

• Upvote 2