Sign in to follow this  
rankwrestlers

Team race

It has been fascinating to watch the team race in Kentucky this year (based on tournament rankings, not dual rankings).  Union County started the year in the lead but was surpassed in early December by Walton Verona.  Johnson Central took over the top spot shortly after that, and then Christian County held the lead in mid-December.  Union County reclaimed the top spot right after Christmas and has held on to it since then.  Christian County just overtook Madison Central for #2 after this past weekend.  The race is very tight, and there will certainly be more changes as the season progresses.  Should be an exciting state tournament!  As of today, here are the current team standings on RankWrestlers.com:

1. Union County
  2. Christian County
  3. Madison Central
  4. Walton Verona
  5. Johnson Central
  6. Woodford County
  7. Meade County
  8. La Rue County
  9. John Hardin
  10. Male

KYTeams.JPG

It still blows my mind how Kentucky has not mandated these coaches to put in records in a timely fashion. We have too much technology for this to still be a problem. Trackwrestling has greatly improved coaches statistical efficiency and can be used by all. Someone needs to push the powers that be to get this through to the KHSAA board rules.

• Upvote 1

I believe one of the problems is that Ky still has a good number of teams with only one coach and no statistician.  They are coaching HS, MS, and youth along with trying to keep up with the stats. 

17 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

I believe one of the problems is that Ky still has a good number of teams with only one coach and no statistician.  They are coaching HS, MS, and youth along with trying to keep up with the stats. 

Yeah, but there are programs out there with several coaches and stats that still don' do it till they have to. Think some are just pure lazy, others want to hide their results. Cause we all know high school wrestling records are very top secret stuff and should be handled with caution.  Lol

18 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

I think it should be mandatory to post all results on track. 

It is once you get to region. But up till then it's not. I agree, should have to updatell them within a reasonable time post match. I know several other sports require results and stats to be entered within a certain time or they fine them. 

Honestly though what difference does it really make until the region seed meeting?  It can't be used by anyone for anything except for rankings and banter, which most coaches should care little about.  

I don't understand why a coach would want to wait until the last minute and update everything at once. That would be miserable. If I get more than a week behind it kills me getting caught up. My guess is the coaches who put it off until the end end up being the loudest whiners about the time it takes to put in results. 

1 hour ago, grappler-of-old said:

Honestly though what difference does it really make until the region seed meeting?  It can't be used by anyone for anything except for rankings and banter, which most coaches should care little about.  

Isn’t it usable for individual tournaments too? Seeding info using common opponents etc

• Upvote 1

Missouri uses track to do all of the things we need. Keeps coaches legit on tracking weight and certifications, used for seeding in tournaments, including districts. You must have your weigh ins from each weigh in posted 48 hours after a a match or wrestlers become ineligible for the next meet. I understand that one coach might be doing everything but why wouldn't they want to make things easier for themselves by using trackwrestling. Everything is right there for them. If it is mandatory to use then when dialing, other coaches could put in info at that time and then you go back to double check their info before accepting it. So you really don't have to do as much as you would normally.

• Upvote 2

119Rider, do know how Missouri got this passed? Is it through the high school athletic association, or through the wrestling coaches’ association? I would love for this to be mandated through the KHSAA. 

• Upvote 1

Nike, this goes thru Missouri State High School Association. Trackwrestling works with them to set up accounts for all schools. Our weight certification process goes thru their site as well. Coaches have weigh in sheets tied to their accounts and every meet. After a meet, we have 48 hours to put actual wrestlers weight in. It is locked so no one else can see but you have to bring all of your weigh in sheets to districts in case someone's challenges a weight eligibility. If you go to track, go to Opc, and choose Missouri, you find all results from that day and year. There are no questions to who has wrestled and where. I can go back for the last 4 years and find results if I need to. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Confused Spectator said:

Isn’t it usable for individual tournaments too? Seeding info using common opponents etc

Only if the tournament is using track wrestling for the tournament, which many do not.  I am not a huge fan of in depth seeding at regular season tournaments.  Just separate the good wrestlers and move on with the tournament.  The only tournaments that matter are the post season tournaments. 

Just my 2 cents on that.  

Don't get me wrong I think that having things available on Track would be nice and convenient, but it would be a luxury not something I need. 

GOO, I understand totally. I run the tourney here for our school now on track. Only seeding that happens is what coaches want, seed 2, seed 4, whatever they deem necessary. 

Also, GOO, I have seen several coaches before the use of Track in Missouri to conveniently forget to put in a kids loss that might have swayed seedings during district meetings. The mandate by the state has made this process better for coaches. No longer can we hide matches because everyone can see results from tourneys and duals. No more hiding, just wrestling and letting the kids decide their fate. 

• Upvote 2

I agree that all matches should be put in before post season.   I have seen it a few times when coaches would omit a loss or two.  

How much I don't believe in (in depth) seeding during the regular season is just the opposite of how I feel in the post season. I have absolutely no objections to seeding every kid in the tournament and placing them accordingly, even if there are 11-12 in a wt. class.  This allows for those kids in the lower tiers to place as high as they deserve.  

I stated sometime last year I think, that not having accurate stats and more importantly, tracking hurt coverage which contributes to the lack of growth of the sport. 

I'm sure I was more articulate in my thoughts on the earlier post but bare with me here for a second to explain. Sports by nature are statistically driven, mostly in wins and losses. When the local media (newspaper) reports on a sporting event they talk about win-loss records, rankings etc. as well as the event itself.  

Being that the information on our sport is not always accurate and sometimes sketchy at best, how can local media report and thus help promote the sport? If it (matches) aren't documented or recorded, are they even important? If they aren't important, why would anyone care?

In the largest metropolitan city in the state (Louisville), they have little to no coverage of wrestling. The Courier reports on wrestling three times a year. Usually a small snippet at the beginning of the season, Jefferson County Championships and a write-up after state, maybe the Dragon once or twice in the past few years. 

I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, but it kills me to see basketball, football and baseball flood the local sports scene while the best sport in the world doesn't even get a sniffle. Hell I've seen highlights of two basketball teams with losing records on the local news while two top five teams were wrestling a dual on the same night in the same city.  

I understand that recognition is not why kids wrestle, if you want that your'e in the wrong sport. But, if we want to grow the sport, we need to promote the sport. If we treat the sport like a third tier sport ourselves by not even recording our records and performances the why would anyone on the outside take it seriously?  

Another reason why the State Tournament could never be seeded, which will most likely never happen anyway. But without the tracking aspect, we have no leg to stand on if it were ever to be proposed. 

Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth. 

• Upvote 1

Many coaches only put in the wins for their wrestlers.  When I was the stat man for our team.  I utilized Trackwrestling live to enter results.  Basically, I grabbed an injured wrestler, a former wrestler, or one of the wrestlers' girlfriends to enter the trackwrestling information as I recorded the match on paper.  There is somewhat of a learning curve if you try to learn the live entry on your own.  After you mess up a match or two, then you get the hang of it.

Track is a good and bad thing. First the good;  its a great ideal to monitor kids weight cut and help control the safety of all kids. Although its a flawed system its better than nothing. As for matches all coaches or a stat guy has to already put in the weights before he can get the next weight sheet if he uses a track weigh-in sheet. I don't see why track cant do the same for matches if you don't put in matches cant print next weigh-in sheet. Again you can still wrongly use any system. The bad with the system I see where some kids records are padded by the same match counted twice. If I print a weigh in sheet and then put in my match and the other team also puts in the same match it counts as same match twice. Happens all the time. I did this by mistake last year but when I tried to delete the extra match track wouldn't let you this happened I sent track a message and had it deleted but if you don't it counts twice. When you seed kids it just goes by the records if nobody looks at it in the seeding meeting and catches the mistakes. Then a kid who is 24-10 could be 12-5 or just some are wrong. So track is a good tool but only if everyone uses it and there is a way to insure everyone does it correctly. Also you can see where a kid has a brother one good one not but the team mistaking or not puts some of the losses on the bad kid and nobody catches that he is 120 and wrestled 220 for that loss. Honest mistake sometimes kids have same last name and first initial but the teams coach should pay attention. Again it is a helpful tool but cant be our fix to everything because everyone will not use it honestly and correct and the system doesn't catch dishonesty or human errors.

• Upvote 1