Sign in to follow this  
grappler-of-old

Middle school Weight allowance.

Middle school 2 pound weight allowance.   

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should you have to make scratch weight (original weight class) twice before receiving the 2 pound weight allowance?

Making the scratch weight twice...... Before receiving the 2 pound weight allowance seems fair. That shows that you made the scratch weight and you truly need the 2 pounds to stay in your weight class..... But this is like the price is right.... Come on down..... My son's weight class is going to be tough no matter what. He could possibly cut down a class.... But honestly I don't think he would want to. He would have to eat healthy .... His Knickname is Suge.... He likes sugar LOL... 

• Upvote 2

Making a kid make weight twice (or whatever number you decide) won't change anything without a weight management program.  If the kid is walking around 2 pounds over the next lower weight class, the only thing that would change is the kid would then cut into the lower weight sooner, rather than waiting for the allowance to arrive.  And while a weight management program like the high school does would be great, it would greatly increase the cost and expense non-school teams (or school teams who don't have access to a trainer) would have to incur.  Fat tests aren't free, and my thought is that it would drive some schools/clubs away from the sport at the middle school level.  

• Upvote 1

There has been a poll for this at least once in the last few years, but I'm thinking it's more like 2 or 3 times. They were official polls that mattered. And the elimination of the 2 lb allowance was defeated each time. This isnt about cutting weight. That argument is just the catalest to try to make certain kids stay in the higher weight class away from other kids that want to win the state tournament. That has been the underlying factor every time it has been put on the ballot!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This sort of certification process used to be in place many years ago. It doesn't change weight cutting at all. All it does is introduce additional administrative duties on coaches who now have to track weighins and documentation to prove a kid can compete at a weight. Every year we have coaches who can't simply complete the bylaw acknowledgement. Plus we all know certain coaches who we don't trust any farther than we can throw them regarding honestly meeting the certification requirements. 

I've always said it is up to coaches and parents to be the adults and make sure kids are making good choices about weight no matter what age group we are talking about. 

As vocal as Notorious has been on this, I'm beginning to think he's worried about a wrestler coming down after the allowance and possibly ruining the chances of his kid or one on his team.  Soumds a lot like politics to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, REscalera said:

As vocal as Notorious has been on this, I'm beginning to think he's worried about a wrestler coming down after the allowance and possibly ruining the chances of his kid or one on his team.  Soumds a lot like politics to me.

I think Notorious is a middle school wrestler. 

• Upvote 2

For real real?  Haha!  For his sake I hope not.  If he would put forth half the effort to get better as he is trying to get it changed the 2lb allowance wouldn't matter come state tourney. 

8 minutes ago, Chris Duke said:

• Upvote 1

Sounds like you can't take being challenged? The poll is leaning in my favor? But by ALL means you all continue massaging each other's ego's! While the rest of us laugh at you! If you all put forth half the effort that you say you do? Why would you even want a 2LB laughable growth allowance? 

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Notorious said:

Sounds like you can't take being challenged? The poll is leaning in my favor? But by ALL means you all continue massaging each other's ego's! While the rest of us laugh at you! If you all put forth half the effort that you say you do? Why would you even want a 2LB laughable growth allowance? 

Are you serious?  I truly couldn't care less about a 2 lb allowance. My kid has been weighing in anywhere from 3-6 pounds under his weight class of 86 all season. 

As as for putting forth effort to help our state and wrestlers improve, you have no clue. 

On December 14, 2017 at 9:05 PM, Chris Duke said:

Well since you do the Rankings. Put me at 1st at 190 then. I just brought up a valid issue? You do a decent job with the rankings. For the information you can get your hands on. But I see you got JOKES! 

On December 14, 2017 at 11:38 PM, Ranger123 said:

Are you serious?  I truly couldn't care less about a 2 lb allowance. My kid has been weighing in anywhere from 3-6 pounds under his weight class of 86 all season. 

As as for putting forth effort to help our state and wrestlers improve, you have no clue. 

Well maybe that's the PROBLEM Ranger? Nobody has a clue of how we are making ALL of KY wrestling better! And not just an area of Kentucky! Maybe ask for help, tell parents, coaches, what you need from us? Maybe tell us on the forum? Have a vote? Let programs have a VOICE? Or I guess you could just keep it a secret. I'm SURE you do a lot of work for KY wrestling! But just telling me I don't have a CLUE doesn't answer anything really?

On December 14, 2017 at 9:02 PM, REscalera said:

I could guess every weight classes champion right now. I would Probably be about 95% accurate! Everyone already knows who going to win every weight.

This has nothing to do with winning a championship. But everything to do with a "Growth " allowance that is not needed. If the allowance is kept. In the future I would hope it would be enforced differently. That is all.

On December 13, 2017 at 6:06 PM, CoachC said:

There has been a poll for this at least once in the last few years, but I'm thinking it's more like 2 or 3 times. They were official polls that mattered. And the elimination of the 2 lb allowance was defeated each time. This isnt about cutting weight. That argument is just the catalest to try to make certain kids stay in the higher weight class away from other kids that want to win the state tournament. That has been the underlying factor every time it has been put on the ballot!!

Who votes to allow the 2LB allowance? When was the last vote? Does the STATE of Kentucky have by laws we follow? Or do coaches vote? Or the school system? Is there anywhere we can see how the vote was done? And how close it was to being terminated? I would be interested in seeing how this 2LB allowance was ment to work and who passed it?

I can promise you Ranger has done a ton and continues to do a lot for this state. I think he knows what he is doing helped his kid get to Cornell lol..

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Notorious said:

I could guess every weight classes champion right now. I would Probably be about 95% accurate! Everyone already knows who going to win every weight.

This has nothing to do with winning a championship. But everything to do with a "Growth " allowance that is not needed. If the allowance is kept. In the future I would hope it would be enforced differently. That is all.

You could guess every champion at every weight... ? lol I like this guys ridiculous banter its fun overall seems positive.. lol alright give me those high school and middle school State Champ picks...

Congrats for getting into  Cornell. Glad his kid made it. Well deserved. I hope he represents KY to the fullest! I'm a fan of Cornell now! 

I would just like to know about the 2Lb issue. How it was passed? Who passed it? Was it voted in? Last time it was voted on? Was it voted by the coaches? The State? School system? How many people approved the allowance? This is turning into an argument? That's not what this question was about! But when you have the people who run this FORUM making insults about me being in middle school. It's kinda hard to respect anything they say. I would just like an answer from whoever runs this forum. It went from a conversation. To now it's a problem. I would like to get more information on this topic.

I'm indifferent on the allowance if it's there fine if not fine. I do know kids do grow and for that reason I understand it being in place and honestly I don't really think there is much "weight cutting" going on. I had a kid who weighed 108 at the beginning of the middle school season last year and he was in the state finals at 102. I can promise you it wasn't "weight cutting" he just chose to stop drinking sodas started eating slightly smarter and busted his butt in practice and that where he ended up. And because of those smarter eating habits and hard work he got to get beat up on by Rangers 102 pounder in the Middle school state finals lol.

Sounds like you have a HAMMER I understand what you mean. I just would like some answers to the rule. Since we couldn't be adults about it and just take a poll. I think I'd rather have ALL the information. So the wrestling community can understand how it was passed and by who.