Sign in to follow this  
FED UP

Board Issues

I am just curious to see if I am the only coach/parent who is concerned with the direction our program is headed? I sit here and notice in the past couple years its more about politics and personal accolades as apposed to being about our young wrestlers. Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

That is precisely my point. We have board members who are there only for themselves rather than for the kids. Politics is killing our ASSN. The whole purpose of the board and our ASSN. is to govern and protect our sport and athletes, however as of the last couple years our board has become a self serving entity. The state tournament was held for years at Montgomery County which was a great venue, now it is in Louisville Convention Center where they run out of concessions for the spectators,the coach's room is basically non-existent parking is expensive as well as admission . If they wanted to change locations why were the schools and clubs not given a chance to bid for the right to hold state tournament , we have several schools that could handle that capacity. It begs the question who's pockets are getting lined? If not that then what favors are being exchanged. In my opinion! I hope some members of our forum see this and start to question and make sure to attend coaches meetings and/or step up and run for a seat on the board to take us back to the system of what's best for our sport and our kids.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, FED UP said:

That is precisely my point. We have board members who are there only for themselves rather than for the kids. Politics is killing our ASSN. The whole purpose of the board and our ASSN. is to govern and protect our sport and athletes, however as of the last couple years our board has become a self serving entity. The state tournament was held for years at Montgomery County which was a great venue, now it is in Louisville Convention Center where they run out of concessions for the spectators,the coach's room is basically non-existent parking is expensive as well as admission . If they wanted to change locations why were the schools and clubs not given a chance to bid for the right to hold state tournament , we have several schools that could handle that capacity. It begs the question who's pockets are getting lined? If not that then what favors are being exchanged. In my opinion! I hope some members of our forum see this and start to question and make sure to attend coaches meetings and/or step up and run for a seat on the board to take us back to the system of what's best for our sport and our kids.

Moving MS state away from Montgomery County made zero sense to me aswell. 

• Upvote 3

I'm not sure how long it has been at Montgomery County but a state tourney should not be held at a school. For years the high school state tourney was at Atherton High School.

I thought it strange that one school benefit from the state tourney and in that case a school with no wrestling. 

Have you been to the high school state tourney? NO COACHES ROOM.  High rates on food hard seats and a dirt floor covered by tarp.  

It's my understanding that all schools that helped out " table workers, concessions, gate, etc" got a cute from the middle school tournament. So Montgomery Co wasn't the only school benefiting from having MS state there. But I could be wrong everyone knows I have been before lol. 

Ok maybe I should have said.  Why should one team always get to benefit?  

They will always benefit more than the other schools, in not just money but prestige of having the state tourney.  

If a state tourney is held at a school is should rotate.  But we have already found out that does not work.  

I have no dog in this fight.  I am not on the board, nor do I wish to have the headache of being on one. 

I'm just an opinionated old fart. 

2 minutes ago, Bluesdad said:

It's my understanding that all schools that helped out " table workers, concessions, gate, etc" got a cute from the middle school tournament. So Montgomery Co wasn't the only school benefiting from having MS state there. But I could be wrong everyone knows I have been before lol. 

I tend to see both sides . Blue no matter where it is held our program should benefit. If you put it in a convention center we should get a decent portion of all proceed . If we bid it out every couple years to the schools it give different areas of the state exposure and would benefit those programs with funds they may otherwise not have. If a school wins the bid then all schools competing should assist with tables. KWOA and the hosting school should split profits 50-50 . This would insure growth for everyone. 

• Upvote 1

While I liked the tourney at Montgomery County, I think the move to a larger venue was needed.  Room for more mats, seating and just more space in general to me has been positive.  While I can see why one might sometimes question the direction, the state tournament venue change has to me been one of the most positive changes I've seen over my 7 years of involvement in Middle School wrestling.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

While I liked the tourney at Montgomery County, I think the move to a larger venue was needed.  Room for more mats, seating and just more space in general to me has been positive.  While I can see why one might sometimes question the direction, the state tournament venue change has to me been one of the most positive changes I've seen over my 7 years of involvement in Middle School wrestling.

I have to disagree with rjs, Montgomery county was just fine and I quoted Bulldog below. He actually has a decent idea of how to make it more practical. School A in say Western Ky  bid it for 2 yrs then maybe school B in southern Ky win the bid for 2 years. that way the teams that live in the farthest parts of the state wouldn't always have to travel 4 ,5 hours. But that is secondary to the point I was making,why were these decisions made without the body of our assn being informed prior to the vote? Roberts rules of order states that the body must be duly notified prior to a vote. The overall point is that we as a body are being pushed in a direction by a few rather than the majority. We need to start making meetings, voicing our opinions and voting for the good of our assn and our athletes not the way a few members on the board want.  Does anyone else see the point ? It's not just one thing the venue was just an example.The move from KWOA to the committee on folkstyle wrestling attached to USA wrestling was another vote that was pushed by the board , last year at the state tournament it was brought up and quickly shot down. Tyler cried about liability and we allowed it for that day only. He later pushed a vote through to permanently attach to USA wrestling. I was unable to attend that meeting as I had plans ,had I known that vote was happening I would have moved things around in order to be  there to fight it. 

1 hour ago, Bulldoglife said:

I tend to see both sides . Blue no matter where it is held our program should benefit. If you put it in a convention center we should get a decent portion of all proceed . If we bid it out every couple years to the schools it give different areas of the state exposure and would benefit those programs with funds they may otherwise not have. If a school wins the bid then all schools competing should assist with tables. KWOA and the hosting school should split profits 50-50 . This would insure growth for everyone. 

1 hour ago, Bluesdad said:

Blue,

I can tell you I personally worked a table for the last 3 years and our program has NOT received a dime. In turn I don't feel they should have, it's our tournament we should be willing to help for an hour or 2 and help offset cost to our assn. As far as I have seen the only people who have benefited were the board and their minions. Again politics the only people that should get any benefit are the athletes !!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bulldoglife said:

I think you have your associations mixed up.  The KWOA is the Kentucky Wrestling Officials Association.  They had nothing to do with moving the middle school state tournament nor should we get any split of profits.

• Upvote 1

Central location is the most important benefit to having it in Louisville. Having the ability to have the youth tournament the day after the middle school is the second biggest benefit to having it at this venue. We use to piggy back youth to the high school tournament until the snow/ice event caused the state tourney date to be changed. When that happened, the youth tournament also had to change because the KHSAA decided it wanted to reserve the Sunday of HS state for potential weather issues and to allow HS state to be completed that same weekend. So we all came together and decided to piggyback youth state on MS state. Moving mats, set up, volunteers and everything that goes along with both MS and Youth State benefit from being the same location and on one weekend. Also we seen a huge increase in viewing of MS by youth that came down on Saturday and watched MS. Just like they did when they followed HS. As for the money, every club is able to work tables and other opportunities to make money for their club and to help it run smoother. I can tell you, most parents want to watch their kid during their session and then get award and leave. I’ve ran/worked both youth and MS tournament for 9 years now and can’t tell you how many years it was impossible to get the 20 tables covered for youth or help loading or unloading gear. I can tell you that the River City program kicks ass when it comes to set up and tear down. I’m there Friday morning and don’t leave til late Sunday night and their parents are there in full force. The only thing that needs to get better is the food selection, quantity and price. Also they should have a hospality room for the MS state and HS state. Most can’t leave the mat all day, it makes it nice to run back and grab a sandwich with the 10 minutes you can squeeze in. As for parking, it’s expensive but a nature of the beast for the location. Hotels and restaurants everywhere for families to enjoy the whole weekend. Montgomery County were class acts and held a great tournament, but as we grow the venue and times have to change. Just my 2 cents. Great to see this forum being used. Some great points being brought up. Best of luck to all your wrestlers this year!! May they hit the podium!!

• Upvote 5

I thought the board acted and voted for the ASSN. Much like a state representative acts and votes for their state in the federal government.  This is so that a vote can be made easier without having to try and get everyone there at one time.  If you don't like your representative then vote them out.  I would believe that since they are still board members the majority is satisfied with their decisions so far.  

So Fed Up,  reading between the lines it seems that this is really about a meeting that you missed and a vote that didn't go the way you wanted it to, had you been there, correct? I'm sure the board would prefer to have all coaches attend meetings and feedback/votes from them. 

• Upvote 3

I liked how Montgomery county did the FINALS! It was a little crowded! The arena after Montgomery was TERRIBLE! Couldn't see JACK for parents walking in front of the matches! I like Louisvlle and all the mats and ability to actually see! We should ALL work together to make Tournaments or Duals that will make every program some money! We need to KNOW in advance before a VOTE is made! I understand your point now FED UP! The COST is what I don't like! Hotels are NOT cheap! It's NOT cheap to park! To eat! Ect ect! Not EVERY good wrestler has it made at home! Maybe work in some scholarships for wrestling families that need help to attended state? Maybe get a hotel to give a couple rooms out for FREE! Since we do fill them up?

• Upvote 1

I too thought it was a nice location in Montgomery county.  What I didn't much like though was how the state tournament was so convenient for all the eastern KY teams that wouldn't travel to wrestle central, northern or western KY teams during the season.  Instead they would stay out east or go into WV and VA to wrestle.  I heard this sentiment a lot and for the most part eastern KY teams never changed.  

On December 13, 2017 at 4:04 PM, REscalera said:

I too thought it was a nice location in Montgomery county.  What I didn't much like though was how the state tournament was so convenient for all the eastern KY teams that wouldn't travel to wrestle central, northern or western KY teams during the season.  Instead they would stay out east or go into WV and VA to wrestle.  I heard this sentiment a lot and for the most part eastern KY teams never changed.  

Exactly.

37 minutes ago, Notorious said:

I liked how Montgomery county did the FINALS! It was a little crowded! The arena after Montgomery was TERRIBLE! Couldn't see JACK for parents walking in front of the matches! I like Louisvlle and all the mats and ability to actually see! We should ALL work together to make Tournaments or Duals that will make every program some money! We need to KNOW in advance before a VOTE is made! I understand your point now FED UP! The COST is what I don't like! Hotels are NOT cheap! It's NOT cheap to park! To eat! Ect ect! Not EVERY good wrestler has it made at home! Maybe work in some scholarships for wrestling families that need help to attended state? Maybe get a hotel to give a couple rooms out for FREE! Since we do fill them up?

I agree the venue the year after Montgomery was set up bad. Broadbent is designed much nicer for our 2 venues and we were able to create a nice face off for the State Championships for MS. I also agree that the food cost and parking isn’t cheap, or good!!! The parking can’t be changed but hopefully the food, or lack there of it, can be. Hotels around Louisville ranges from $40 to $400 and we’re easily obtained unlike Montgomery when the 2 nice ones off the exit were full, you were down the highway. I have nothing but praise for the Montgomery County State. They did a top rate job with what they have. But to have both States back to back, this venue is the best so far. As far as scholarships, I think that should be done on a club level and from an organization level with total privacy. I know that it does happen but for the respect of the families, you won’t know who they are. 

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:36 AM, FED UP said:

I am just curious to see if I am the only coach/parent who is concerned with the direction our program is headed? I sit here and notice in the past couple years its more about politics and personal accolades as apposed to being about our young wrestlers. Thoughts?

The best way to help our young wrestlers is to grow the sport.  That is the biggest problem we have is the lack of participation.  If we want to make it better for the kids, we need more kids in the rooms.  Depth is our biggest problem.  We leave it up to the local coach's to do all the recruiting, but we need to run a recruiting campaign for the sport, not just our teams.  That means using the biggest, and best venue we can.  I don't believe a local HS is the right choice for the state championships.  That should be the showcase tournament!  Needs to be a spectacle that anyone would enjoy.  We have to grow the sport...big lights, big venues, good seats, good food, fair price.  We get more kids in the rooms, the rest will work itself out.

On December 13, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Coach T said:

The best way to help our young wrestlers is to grow the sport.  That is the biggest problem we have is the lack of participation.  If we want to make it better for the kids, we need more kids in the rooms.  Depth is our biggest problem.  We leave it up to the local coach's to do all the recruiting, but we need to run a recruiting campaign for the sport, not just our teams.  That means using the biggest, and best venue we can.  I don't believe a local HS is the right choice for the state championships.  That should be the showcase tournament!  Needs to be a spectacle that anyone would enjoy.  We have to grow the sport...big lights, big venues, good seats, good food, fair price.  We get more kids in the rooms, the rest will work itself out.

I agree to a point. I would be okay with quality over quantity. Not to throw any programs under the bus. But WE all know the SOLID programs! I just think we need to invest more time into the wrestlers we already have! That's why I'm for a open gym in the summer that all KY wrestlers can come to!

11 minutes ago, Notorious said:

I agree to a point. I would be okay with quality over quantity. Not to throw any programs under the bus. But WE all know the SOLID programs! I just think we need to invest more time into the wrestlers we already have! That's why I'm for a open gym in the summer that all KY wrestlers can come to!

On paper, it's a great idea.  In practice, it's going to be tough if not impossible to pull off.  And it's not just for wrestling.  No sport really does anything like that.  Travel (in cost, and distance) is a problem.  And the bigger problem is who will run and host.  And if you do find someone/someplace, participation becomes the next problem.  A few years ago, I hosted an open mat to help middle school wrestlers prepare for Nationals and other spring events for 2-3 days a week for 5 weeks in late February/March.  No cost, totally free.  We were lucky to have 10 guys show up.  The truth is it's a really small group of wrestlers that are willing to train and travel.  There are quite a few people throughout the state that do host training year round, albeit at a cost.  It's not as simple as saying "build it and they will come".  

• Upvote 1