Sign in to follow this  
Notorious

Can KY Wrestling CLOSE the GAP?

Kentucky wrestling needs to close the gap between the more competitive states! We Need programs to have open gyms during the summer and invite anyone and everyone out who wants to get better. I KNOW there's some programs that DO! But we need more participation during the off season. Need some quality coaching from different programs , with different styles and strategy! The wrestlers need to be schooled with different coaches and styles, and mentally and physically ready for the challenge!

Let's Make KY a PowerHouse!

• Upvote 1

I agree! Let’s make KY a powerhouse. Notorious, I love your enthusiasm. By the number of posts you have plus seeing where you have posted the most, I have to assume that you have a young one in the sport. That’s great! We all were either inspired due to our own career or our kids coming home with a flier. Either way, I’m glad that you are posting. In my opinion, the problem with the open mats in KY is too many coaches and parents NOT wanting little “Johnny” training with so and so. I get it. I was that Dad for a while. At the end of the day, practice partners are what every kid needs to improve. What my son and I have learned is that KY accomplishments are great, but what colleges are looking for is kids that compete elsewhere. Your right, we need to come together for the greater good. We just need to figure out how to make that happen. 

• Upvote 1

Horsepower Wrestling club takes a week off and gets back to work. Summer training focuses on nat tournament prep and Freestyle. All are welcome to come!

Like us on FB @Horsepower_WC we will post summer schedule before state tournament is over. 

12 hours ago, Nike Man said:

the problem with the open mats in KY is too many coaches and parents NOT wanting little “Johnny” training with so and so.

In the Nky area one big problem is that several of the school districts will not allow open mats to anyone outside their school district. State insurance even though they have been told they are covered by USA cards. 

Another huge factor in this open mats conversation is it’s hard when schools in the same town have bad blood and don’t want to work with one another. It’s easy when everyone is on the same terms. 

On December 12, 2017 at 8:56 AM, @horsepower_wc said:

Horsepower Wrestling club takes a week off and gets back to work. Summer training focuses on nat tournament prep and Freestyle. All are welcome to come!

Like us on FB @Horsepower_WC we will post summer schedule before state tournament is over. 

How do we get in contact with you? They say

" Styles Make Fights" So let's get together to benifit the State and future wrestlers!

On December 12, 2017 at 8:11 PM, Nike Man said:

I agree! Let’s make KY a powerhouse. Notorious, I love your enthusiasm. By the number of posts you have plus seeing where you have posted the most, I have to assume that you have a young one in the sport. That’s great! We all were either inspired due to our own career or our kids coming home with a flier. Either way, I’m glad that you are posting. In my opinion, the problem with the open mats in KY is too many coaches and parents NOT wanting little “Johnny” training with so and so. I get it. I was that Dad for a while. At the end of the day, practice partners are what every kid needs to improve. What my son and I have learned is that KY accomplishments are great, but what colleges are looking for is kids that compete elsewhere. Your right, we need to come together for the greater good. We just need to figure out how to make that happen. 

Thanks. Sometimes I just scratch my head. I see what needs to be done. We need to work together to create the kind of hammers to create D1 wrestlers!

You can't wait for KY to get with the times. Seek out the best training environment for your son/daughter out of state if necessary and make the drive. If that is what your son/daughter wants, it is well worth the time and money. We were fortunate to have Nate Carr close when we were seeking out training opportunities. There are any number of places to choose from in Ohio.

• Upvote 1

On December 13, 2017 at 11:37 PM, CCMS_SC said:

You can't wait for KY to get with the times. Seek out the best training environment for your son/daughter out of state if necessary and make the drive. If that is what your son/daughter wants, it is well worth the time and money. We were fortunate to have Nate Carr close when we were seeking out training opportunities. There are any number of places to choose from in Ohio.

Lol. KY still going to meets in a horse and buggy. JUST JOKING! Calm down.

Just trying to help with my opinion, and I'm very calm but serious.  The time you have from youth, MS, and HS believe it or not is over in the blink of an eye, and In a year and a half even college will be over.  Unfortunately, you have to do what is best for your child and their goals.  If schools won't allow it and you don't want to travel out of state then it has to start with the coaches and ex-college wrestlers starting clubs in a non-school venue.  No one is going to reach their potential wrestling the same kids and the same style all of the time with the same coaches.  KY has made huge strides since my son first started.  There have been numerous college wrestlers at all levels and probably more D1 guys than in any other time. They've laid the foundation and now it is on you and others like minded to drive the agenda forward.  Good luck!

As far as off season opportunities, yes, KY is in the dark ages compared to other states.

Take it for what it's worth, nothing,

Andy Fausz

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, CCMS_SC said:

3 hours ago, Notorious said:

Lol. KY still going to meets in a horse and buggy. JUST JOKING! Calm down.

I'm not so sure calm down is appropriate here.  CCMS_SC makes a lot of great points and his passion is certainly well placed in this conversation.   I believe his point of taking your kiddos somewhere else is one of our biggest roadblocks.  Whether it be to camps, clubs or national tournaments Kentucky as a whole does not travel much at all.  We'd rather our kid be the best in KY as opposed to coming home empty handed at a much more competitive national tournament.  We have great coaches here in UC but that didn't stop us from going else where during the off season. Each of the last  3 summers Zeke spent time at Thoroughbred Wrestling Academy in St. Louis, Mile High WC in Denver, Sebolt WC in Mason City Iowa and Mauer Coughlin WC in Evansville.  Not because he doesn't have quality coaches here, because he certainly does, but because it exposed him to different styles, differeny partners and different perspectives.  He was able to take from each what fit him best and grow as a wrestler from there.  We must encourage our kids to get out of their comfort zone if they really want to reach their full potential. 

• Upvote 2

Exactly EScalera! That's why Zeke is at the level he is!  Even if every school in KY had open mats it would still be most beneficial to travel outside of the area for the reasons you mentioned. The more coaches, partners, and technique that they're exposed to the quicker their progression. You have to be willing to make the commitment and sacrifices.

I was joking about the horse and buggy. I wasn't joking about anything else. I agree with everything you all said. 

REscalera thinks his poo poo doesn't stink? Because I disagree with him? In another chat I'm now a MIDDLE SCHOOL wrestler. Guess I'm just going thru puberty! How dare I question the great REscalera! 

20 hours ago, Notorious said:

I was joking about the horse and buggy. I wasn't joking about anything else. I agree with everything you all said. 

REscalera thinks his poo poo doesn't stink? Because I disagree with him? In another chat I'm now a MIDDLE SCHOOL wrestler. Guess I'm just going thru puberty! How dare I question the great REscalera! 

I sense some small peepee syndrome.   Don't sweat it dude.  You'll be ok. 

Also, I  didn't say you were a middle schooler so don't place that on me.  That was someone else.  

As for calling me great, thank you for the compliment.  Much appreciated.  

As for wanting the best for KY wrestling, welcome to the party.  

• Upvote 2

On 12/13/2017 at 11:37 PM, CCMS_SC said:

I agree 100% with this post. That's why I'm traveling 2 hours to Carr academy for practice thur the week lol. It's well worth the money and time. 

The Development of Regional training centers throughout the State of KY would definitely help grow the sport and make our good wrestlers even better! I have seen this done and actually been a part of the development in other states. I would say 80-90% of our wrestlers in the State just step on the mat when the season starts and off again at the conclusion of the season. We need to develop the 10-20% in the off-season, that means offering them something valuable and attainable. It doesn't have to be every night of the week and it doesn't always have to be in the same locations. Bring in clinicians, plan events, travel to events together and generate some excitement in the wrestling community. You will be amazed when the 10-20% get better so will the 80-90%.

• Upvote 4