Sign in to follow this  
EKYwrestler

Top 10 middle school wrestlers in Kentucky

Now, to your point regarding the 2 matches.  The scores don't really tell us much.  How many times has Blue dominated someone but only won by a couple of points?  I see it all the time. I've also seen it the other way around where it's 8-2 and a very good match.  How were the points scored and and was there anything going on that might influence the score. For example, there were times in middle school that Zeke was not allowed to score a takedown or reversal in the 1st period simetime first 2 periods. only escapes if he were taken down.  He had to intentionally give up his leg and fight off the takedown.  There were times he'd be down 4-1 at the end of the 1st.  The kid would stall out the rest of the match and it would end with the score looking closer than it teally was.  The kid walked off thinking he'd close the gap when in reality it just got wider. 

Reading these rankings,  predictions, and discussion everyone has had about how many weight class Championships Spencer Moore could possibly seize , made me realize that there is a reasonable chance Cole Thomas, Spencer, and Luke Chapman could all find themselves at 106 next year. That would be fun for the fans.

• Upvote 1

I think I’ll stir the pot a bit. I just watched Spencer wrestle for the high school team at 113 and win convincingly. I find it hard to believe there are many other wrestlers in the state that can give up almost 30lbs and be competitive. That is over a third of his body weight! The little beast weighs 86lbs! Hands down best in the state! 

2 hours ago, depperschmidt said:

Reading these rankings,  predictions, and discussion everyone has had about how many weight class Championships Spencer Moore could possibly seize , made me realize that there is a reasonable chance Cole Thomas, Spencer, and Luke Chapman could all find themselves at 106 next year. That would be fun for the fans.

Yes there will be a lot of very very good lightweights coming up to HS in the next year. And yes that will be a lot of fun to watch. Also makes it fun when they are all great kids off the mat. 

1 hour ago, Run_isaac_run said:

I think I’ll stir the pot a bit. I just watched Spencer wrestle for the high school team at 113 and win convincingly. I find it hard to believe there are many other wrestlers in the state that can give up almost 30lbs and be competitive. That is over a third of his body weight! The little beast weighs 86lbs! Hands down best in the state! 

He beat Thomas Deck?!?!

Lol I didn’t say he beat Deck. But he did wrestle damn near 30 lbs over his weight. Looked like David and Goliath.  I think whenever his body decides to grow there will be a lot of upset wrestlers. 

11 hours ago, Run_isaac_run said:

Lol I didn’t say he beat Deck. But he did wrestle damn near 30 lbs over his weight. Looked like David and Goliath.  I think whenever his body decides to grow there will be a lot of upset wrestlers. 

I agree!

On 12/4/2017 at 2:22 PM, Jbrown1405 said:

I just saw Isaac Thorton lose a match to Super 32 Champion 6-4 and should have had a takedown that was called out of bounds.

Byrant Bean, Spencer Moore, Cole Thomas,  Tanner Spaulding,and all the Messerly’s looked really good against some of the best kids from Ohio.

I wish they would have been able to bring full squads. Walton Verona finished 4th and Ryle finished 5th. This is extremely impressive since Ohio follows the 5 match rule and most KY kids didn’t get favorable duals. Lose first match best you can do is 7th.  Only teams to finish higher two were clubs and the other was Graham who got 3rd.

I would really like to see Thorton take that next step. Sounds like a fun match to watch. Duke, Moore, Thomas are ahead of the field in my opinion... 

Jayden and Jordyn Raney. This is track list of top KY wrestlers from 2002-2007 middle school eligible ages. They have both won or placed high in major national tournaments for the past five years Jordyn has never not won a state title since he was 5 2013. Jayden has been a state finalist during the same time and has won it every year accept his first (he was runner up) Jordyn has won Cliff Keen twice last time in October. Jayden won Ohio tournament of champion last year Jordyn was runner up. They both won the iron man award at USA south east regionals last year. They were both 30-0 in the 2017-18 middle school Leage. They both won Middle School State last week. With all bonus point win. Oh yea they are both 10 years old. 

408441FE-88AD-429C-8293-BB307E24E81E.png

5 hours ago, Mustang Nation said:

Jayden and Jordyn Raney. This is track list of top KY wrestlers from 2002-2007 middle school eligible ages. They have both won or placed high in major national tournaments for the past five years Jordyn has never not won a state title since he was 5 2013. Jayden has been a state finalist during the same time and has won it every year accept his first (he was runner up) Jordyn has won Cliff Keen twice last time in October. Jayden won Ohio tournament of champion last year Jordyn was runner up. They both won the iron man award at USA south east regionals last year. They were both 30-0 in the 2017-18 middle school Leage. They both won Middle School State last week. With all bonus point win. Oh yea they are both 10 years old. 

The Raney twins are great wrestlers no doubt.  Thought the same before they won their state titles last week too.  But they are elementary wrestlers that wrestle up in KY middle school. As for their national success, you can't shake a stick at it as long as you keep it in perspective.  That being that it was won in elementary brackets not middle school brackets at the national level.  Your sense of reasoning though, success at the national level, I can agree with.  Which is exactly why I say Spencer Moore is at the top.  There isn't another middle school wrestle close.to achieving the level of success he has at the national level as a middle schooler. Once they are in 6th grade, I am certain they will be at or near the top of this list. 

• Upvote 1

We can argue who is the best wrestler in the state till we are blue in the face. However there is no way to calculate that. we can only calculate (using known facts) who is statistically the best wrestler per weight class. I personally have my favorites based on heart, enthusiasm and love for the sport. Some are my wrestlers and most are from other schools.to say Spencer, Blue, Noah or the Raney twins are the best in the state is not a valid argument these young men represent 5 different weight classes. Certainly they are the best wrestlers statistically, but this weekend we saw several upsets and we all know that ant given match 1 tiny mistake can and has caused a loss. I can honestly say that I personally believe every kid in Kentucky is better for having parents and coaches like us who are there win lose or draw. Lets keep moving forward and hopefully before we all die we can catch up to the rest of the country in numbers. 

• Upvote 1

They are all great and are bringing up Kentucky Wrestling as they write their stories. Stephan Little can whip all of them :)

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2018 at 1:54 PM, Mustang Nation said:

408441FE-88AD-429C-8293-BB307E24E81E.png

Any list where a kid who is ranked 20 slots above Brayden, that was majored by Brayden this year 10-0 in their only meeting and Brayden beat common opponents this year, who the other wrestler lost to this year, is a joke.  There are at least 4 kids Brayden beat head to head this year ranked above him.  Sll depends how many meets you go to that are on track. Stick with Ranger’s and Duke’s rankings and who is at the top of the podium.

• Upvote 2

I think it is awesome that we can debate who is the best middle school wrestler. That means we have a bunch of kids that are tough as nails. I have always said that Spencer Moore is hands down the best. Not necessarily because of state titles or national placements. That does play a part though. I have seen Spencer practice at my house 3-4 days a week for years. I compare his work ethic and his understanding of wrestling to my son at that age. He is light years ahead. He constantly works to improve and is the only kid I don’t see breaking during a hard practice. If Spencer did break, you know as a coach that was a tough practice. 

I know we all seem to put stock in state titles but that doesn’t always work out. All these kids improve at different rates. I have seen a ton of kids over the years. They all reach their potential at different times. I think the most important thing is continuing to grow and mature. Once they realize it’s as mental as physical, that’s when things change. Like I said I think Spencer already understands that concept and that’s why he can give up 30 lbs and compete. 

1 hour ago, DocG said:

Sll depends how many meets you go to that are on track.

Before we all start making excuses as to why our kiddo isn't higher on this list let's be sure our reasoning is justified by the information given. For example If the above statement were true we wouldn't see so many wrestlers above Brayden with less matches than Brayden. With the being said I'm sure this list is useful for something Mustang Nation but as DocG has pointed out I'm not so sure it's to be used the was you're using it.  I think I like Dr. Baker' s way of seeing it. It's our future in wrestling and a good one it is.

15 minutes ago, REscalera said:

Before we all start making excuses as to why our kiddo isn't higher on this list let's be sure our reasoning is justified by the information given. For example If the above statement were true we wouldn't see so many wrestlers above Brayden with less matches than Brayden. With the being said I'm sure this list is useful for something Mustang Nation but as DocG has pointed out I'm not so sure it's to be used the was you're using it.  I think I like Dr. Baker' s way of seeing it. It's our future in wrestling and a good one it is.

Check Track under Brayden’s significant wins REsclara  ... the kids and tournaments are all listed there,  and he hasn’t lost since States now a year ago.

Granted, He has gone to camps to train rather than compete every weekend locally and nationally, mostly Miron’s.  It has paid off for him and worked well for our family.  No excuses, just pointing out the flaws where wrestlers he has pinned in the first period this season are ranked above him. 

39 minutes ago, DocG said:

Check Track under Brayden’s significant wins REsclara  ... the kids and tournaments are all listed there,  and he hasn’t lost since States now a year ago.

Granted, He has gone to camps to train rather than compete every weekend locally and nationally, mostly Miron’s.  It has paid off for him and worked well for our family.  No excuses, just pointing out the flaws where wrestlers he has pinned in the first period this season are ranked above him. 

Whoa!  You totally misunderstood what I was saying so I apologize if it came across the wrong way.  In no way was I saying anything bad about Brayden.  He has proven himself on the mat for quite some time now and is a big part of the bright future of Kentucky wrestling.  Like Dr. Baker said all the kids are great and are writing their own story and I hope they're all bigger and brighter than the stories written before them.  My message was more me razzing you a bit by pointing out how we dad's can get a bit over zealous and say something that doesn't make much sense in an attempt to build our kiddos up.  When in reality our kiddos don't need us doing stuff like that. Especially when, like Brayden, their results speak loud enough for themselves. 

• Upvote 1

Don't apologize! It's middle school wrestling! Parents are actually upset cause their kids aren't ranked where they think they should be??!! you are exactly right it's the overzealous dad!! I would rather my son not even be ranked!! Who cares except the dads that think their kids are going to be in the olympics in 2028! The odds of that happening are slim to none!! You should be more worried about where your son is ranked amongst his peers academically!! If you people cared as much about academic rankings like you do these bs wrestling rankings we would be better off! Rankings don't win matches or your opinions of where your son should be ranked!!! 

22 minutes ago, Challenger said:

Don't apologize! It's middle school wrestling! Parents are actually upset cause their kids aren't ranked where they think they should be??!! you are exactly right it's the overzealous dad!! I would rather my son not even be ranked!! Who cares except the dads that think their kids are going to be in the olympics in 2028! The odds of that happening are slim to none!! You should be more worried about where your son is ranked amongst his peers academically!! If you people cared as much about academic rankings like you do these bs wrestling rankings we would be better off! Rankings don't win matches or your opinions of where your son should be ranked!!! 

Great post. If they don’t have the grades the opportunities will be limited as far as money in college.    I can tell you from going through the process of recruiting grades are a huge factor. 

Hmmm, thought this was a thread debating who the best middle school wrestler was.  Instead, I am an overzealous parent expecting my son to wrestle in the Olympics and he is apparently barely scraping by in school because I don’t care about his grades ...?

Challenger, you are a total fool.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, dutch said:

Great post. If they don’t have the grades the opportunities will be limited as far as money in college.    I can tell you from going through the process of recruiting grades are a huge factor. 

I'll second that point.  My kid was ready to move on from wrestling after high school, until we started talking to some college coaches who once they found out his grades and ACT scores, were suddenly all over him.  And despite having just a solid high school resume, he ended up with several opportunities, and will now be wrestling at the next level.  People would be surprised at the number of next level opportunities  available to good wrestlers with great grades.  And if you're a great wrestler with great grades, you'll have plenty of open doors.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I'll second that point.  My kid was ready to move on from wrestling after high school, until we started talking to some college coaches who once they found out his grades and ACT scores, were suddenly all over him.  And despite having just a solid high school resume, he ended up with several opportunities, and will now be wrestling at the next level.  People would be surprised at the number of next level opportunities  available to good wrestlers with great grades.  And if you're a great wrestler with great grades, you'll have plenty of open doors.

Exactly why we preach to Blue grades are the most important thing to his future. Regardless if he can wrestle or play any sport for that matter at all if he has good grades doors will always be open. If his grades aren’t where they should be he doesn’t particiapate in any after school function. Thankfully he understands this and we’ve never had to step in and not let him compete. He concentrates in school and keeps his grades where they should be and we’re very thankful for that. He’s an alright kid I guess lol. 

• Upvote 1