Sign in to follow this  
Old wrestler

Boise State

Unfortunately, Boise State will be eliminating their wrestling team, effective immediately. This move was made to make room for their newly developed baseball team. Any time a D1 program cuts their team, it is cause for increased concern. It's scary to think about the landscape of D1 college wrestling in the next 50 years, if serious adjustments aren't made. In my opinion, the easiest and most obvious adjustment is not going head to head with college basketball... That is a battle we will never win. 

• Upvote 2

Is there anything the wrestling community can do? Is there any type of petition happening? I appreciate the informative post, I just hate what it has to say.

• Upvote 2

I frequent a few college wrestling message boards, so I will post any petitions I find. Unfortunately, I don't think this will be the same as Cleveland State. I think this decision is pretty much set in stone, unless a very generous donor steps up. West coast wrestlers don't have too many options as it is, so this hurts their wrestlers the worst. 

• Upvote 2

We are fighting Boise State on every level. This is not over and we are prepared to grind them for however long it takes. Keep up to speed ..write the administration. .. I looked to your website for some info on Bob Kustra, who is the BSU Pres and the guy driving the termination of the program. He was at Eastern Kentucky and before that the Lt Gov of Illinois. Any previous interactions with wrestling he may have had would be great to know. If you want to send an email supporting wrestling send it directly to him and / or the AD, Curt Apsey. We are having a ralley at the Id Ed dept Saturday....FIGHT ON!!

Emails are as follows: bobkustra@boisestate.edu and capsey@boisestate.edu

• Upvote 2