Sign in to follow this  
Old wrestler

2017 NCAA Takeaways

And just like that, the best weekend for sports is officially over. Personally, this may have been my favorite finals from the last 5 years. Some HUGE upsets. Just a couple of interesting things I saw over the weekend.

-Penn St. with five individual champions was incredible. I'm an Iowa fan, but I respect good wrestling. With all 5 champs returning, plus Suriano and Lee, the team championship will be a runaway in '18. 

-I was pulling for Hall (Penn St.)thoughout the tournament, but I was a tad surprised stalling wasn't called again at the end of his finals match. Either way, Hall had an incredible tournament and made Cael look even more brilliant (the initial controversy surrounding the pulling  of his redshirt). 

-As an Iowa fan, I'm probably biased, but Clark's performance was absolutely incredible, and my favorite moment of the night. The kid was on a mission and would not be denied after two previous appearances in the finals, regardless of his shoulder injury.

- I think Micic (Michigan) could very well win next year. His two-on-one approach is reminiscent of a more international style. Looking forward to watching him and Tomasello (Ohio St.) battle it out. 

-I was shocked Gabe Dean and Isaiah Martinez went down. By all accounts, Dean seems like an excellent kid and I hated seeing him lose his last collegiate match. I-Mar and Joseph(Penn St.) will have some wars next year. 

-Palacio (Cornell) doesn't seem like he's all there... 

-If it's found to be true that Kyle Snyder does have a broken rib, then he will solidify is legendary status even more. His slam against Medbery (Wisconsin) was insane, especially considering the weight difference. I loved his post match interview after his semifinals match. The Duke wrestler was talking garbage earlier in the season. I understand the tactic, but you can't go out there and get teched... As if I needed another reason to hate Duke. 

-Missouri had a tremendous showing. 2 of their guys ran in to freight trains, but at least they made it to that point. 

-Dresser leaving V Tech had a bigger impact on their team than I expected. 

All and all, I thought ESPN did an excellent job on their coverage. 

• Upvote 1

Agree on everything.  About the ESPN coverage, what do you guys think about them interviewing the champs after the commercial break like the BTN does?  After a match, especially that one, many guys are so tired that they can't talk clearly.

I agree with everything except the comment about Palacio not bring all there. His interviews are good contrast to the regular interview and is obviously incredibly bright.

Nice breakdown,I was not so surprised Dean and Martinez lost I had seen Martinez earlier in.the year and he is.very good but I had seen him get pinned and it not get called he gassed horribly .Not so sure Snyder had a broken rib Kroells was working him on.tip and.he was in serious trouble I think he just needed a breather and thats the truth Kroells teched Denzel Dejournette mostly from turns rode out Austin in.rhe third and.got a tilt and.swarmed Snyder and.if he had gotten a turn.or.tilt there was the possibility of a pin Snyder knew it.No need to make.excuses for not totally dominating someone and trying to make a closer than expected match into something huge by claiming an.injury .

Dean had had close matches earlier as well I dont think he gassed lime Imar he simply lost a close one.

HALL DID BEAT BO no.need for all the whIning he did get lucky rhyy changed the call in.rhe Valencia match.Missouri beat Vtech earlier in.the year and fell in.the rankings for losses that had many of their starters out I knew they would.beat Vtech this weekend.but losing a coach would be odd like that and its strange that late in.rhe year 

Yes, I agree losing a coach right before your conference tourney was disrespectful to the program that gave you your opportunity.  I suppose he wanted to be in "Recruiting Mode" during the NCAA tournament, but still was disrespectful to the VT kids, IMHO.

I thought the reversal of the call between Valencia and Hall was questionable, and I also thought Mark was right on the edge of another stall call in the finals.  Still, he is what we all thought he would eventually be...a national champion.  And he is a very smart, now well-coached wrestler.

It was great seeing Cox and Snyder right off the bat, and they did not disappoint.  If other kids could learn how to finish single legs like those two do they would be far better wrestlers.  You don't see either of those guys get caught down on the mat much in "funk" situations.  They get the leg and elevate, elevate, elevate...while consolidating position on the leg. 

What I saw from Penn State in the finals was very physical, basic skills.  I personally saw Dan Gable wrestle for Iowa State his senior year and was hoping to see wild freestyle throws.  What I saw in the (then) Big Eight Tournament was single legs...switch off to double leg...half nelson and pin!  Penn State was physical, hard nosed, grea basic technique and positioning, especially in the finals.  Great coaching.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, wildcat2002 said:

I agree with everything except the comment about Palacio not bring all there. His interviews are good contrast to the regular interview and is obviously incredibly bright.

I was watching it with some friends and they felt similar to you. I know a lot of people are tired of the cookie cutter responses. Admittedly, maybe I'm too much in to the old school mentality. I'm just not a fan of the WWE theatrics. To each their own, I suppose. 

PS I may just be bitter about Kemmerer getting stuck in the quarters ha 

• Upvote 1

Fantastic coverage by ESPN. 

133: hard to see NaTo lose, but I was happy for Clark. Even though he is a Hawkeye. It was great to see Gross right the ship and re-gain his focus. On and off the mat.

141: two NEO guys in the finals. Been watching those two for many moons. I was pulling for DiCamillo. Great to see him break through and make the finals. Heil is so difficult to score on.

149: Retherford is a straight out witch. I just about jumped out of my seat when Mayes got the first TD. That really put Retherford on notice and he seemed a bit unsure on how to approach Mayes. In the end, the Zain Train rolls.

157: Seems as though Retherford and Nickal get all the press, but Nolf is equally as good. LaVallee had a great tournament. I thought Palacio would take him, after the pin of Kemmerer. Palacio is a bit of a nut. I dig it though.

165: IMar has put up wins this season, but to my eyes didn't seem as dominant. Not sure why he tried to toss Joseph in a tight match, but he paid for it. How good is this frosh???!!!

174: Jordan did not look good from the Qtrs on. He was losing here and Realbuto gave away the match. It is all about mat management and Realbuto lost his way. So much discussion about the finals match. Was it a TD for Jordan? 2 and 2? However you look at it, Hall did a great job. True frosh up against a seasoned vet and he gives himself a chance to win....and does. I understand Bo's strategy was to wear on Hall and take control late in the match. ?didn't happen.

184: Gabe Dean......THE Gabe Dean goes down. Both wrestlers are incredibly smart, Nickal is just that much better. He works various martial arts and I think it helps his mat wrestling. Wow!

197: Really happy to see J'Den get one in his home state. The guy is class, pure class. The Moore-Pfarr semis was a fun one. Neither one of those two was going to deny J'Den.

285: So impressed with todays HWTs. These guys are quite athletic and some look like they could hit the football field and find instant success. Kasper paid for his minor trash talking of Snyder. I was pulling for Walz to beat Medbery, not to be. I had some concern with Snyder's rib injury. He does struggle from bottom. That happens when you give up 40 lbs though. Kroells is tough on top and Snyder would have struggled injury or not. When he launched the monster Medbery in the finals I did jump out of my seat (we all did!). Look out NASA!!! 

edit: Kosoy was my dark horse pick in our pool to place. Oops!

PSU: what can you say. They are top dog, and by a long shot. Next year should be a battle for 2nd again. To think that Ohio State scored enough points to win four of the previous ten championships, yet are light years behind PSU speaks volumes.  

• Upvote 1

SNYDER WAS NOT.HURT LOL he grabbed his.rib because he was gassed and Kroells was working him on top .Did he grab it later after he launched Medberry ??? Nope .Did OSU ever say he had a broken rib ???NOPE. 

On 3/24/2017 at 0:27 AM, Achilles said:

SNYDER WAS NOT.HURT LOL he grabbed his.rib because he was gassed and Kroells was working him on top .Did he grab it later after he launched Medberry ??? Nope .Did OSU ever say he had a broken rib ???NOPE. 

Ignorance is no excuse. Nobody said broken rib. It has been reported on many media outlets, interviews with Snyder and Ryan during NCAAs (both straight shooter classy guys), he is injured. Certainly with all the time you spend on the internet you have seen these interviews. To not acknowledge it shows your density. We get that already. To compare one guy getting turned by Kroells to another that couldn't get out from bottom but still won by a wide margin, all while fighting through injury, is laughable. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, I'm a Buckeye fan, but I think the following is not only possible but likely. 

Before we crown Penn State 2018 champs let's look at a breakdown. The Buckeyes will have three favored to win an NCAA national championship. Tomasello, Moore, and Snyder. That's not even including previous national champMyles Martin and returning runner up Bo Jordan. 

Early in the season Myles did not look like he had a realistic chance to be an AA at 184. He steadily improved and even beat Bo Nickal at Big Tens. He's no fluke. I look for him to be one of the top 2-3 guys next season. Bo Jordan was injured and not 100% all season. If he is I don't think anyone would have touched him this past season. Generally speaking wrestlers who are injured, stay injured and never reach their previous heights. Bo could be this way. If he's healthy though he will be the favorite at 174. Luke Pletcher will improve and they will why some points from 165 at NCAAs. If that happens they will beat Penn State. 

Dies anyone really think Imar will not win the NCAA title next year?  I see Penn State having only three favored champs; Retherford, Nolf, and Nickal. Mark Hall was this year's Myles Martin...a true frosh who got hot and outperformed himself. 

• Upvote 1

UH SAYING MARK HALL GOT HOT AND.OUTPERFORMED HIS SELF AS IF HE GOT LUCKY OR CAN NOT WIN NEXT YR AFTER HAVING HIS RS PULLED MID SEASON AND WINNING IS JUST WELL......IGNORANT.

14 hours ago, Achilles said:

If you think.Kroells couldnt have him in trouble why is this guy dancing ???

Hahhahaah

Screenshot_2017-03-26-22-14-50.png

I see you are still knocking other wrestlers, hypocrite! What a loser! The pic is of a 19 yr old Snyder losing in the finals. Remember, he beat J'Den in the semis. Cox has to be elated that Snyder bumped to HWT. The smallest guy in his weight class tools everybody again this year. With an injury too. I think he is 5'10", 225. Talk about a disadvantage. Funny thing is, we have never heard his dad gloat, even in defeat. That is why he is the People's Champion. There's a lesson here.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

Yes, I'm a Buckeye fan, but I think the following is not only possible but likely. 

Before we crown Penn State 2018 champs let's look at a breakdown. The Buckeyes will have three favored to win an NCAA national championship. Tomasello, Moore, and Snyder. That's not even including previous national champMyles Martin and returning runner up Bo Jordan. 

Early in the season Myles did not look like he had a realistic chance to be an AA at 184. He steadily improved and even beat Bo Nickal at Big Tens. He's no fluke. I look for him to be one of the top 2-3 guys next season. Bo Jordan was injured and not 100% all season. If he is I don't think anyone would have touched him this past season. Generally speaking wrestlers who are injured, stay injured and never reach their previous heights. Bo could be this way. If he's healthy though he will be the favorite at 174. Luke Pletcher will improve and they will why some points from 165 at NCAAs. If that happens they will beat Penn State. 

Dies anyone really think Imar will not win the NCAA title next year?  I see Penn State having only three favored champs; Retherford, Nolf, and Nickal. Mark Hall was this year's Myles Martin...a true frosh who got hot and outperformed himself. 

Runaway may have been a poor word usage on my end. However, while I agree on some of the Penn St. champs not repeating, I do think Suriano is the front runner at 125 and the starter at 133 will be healthy and competing (drawing a blank on his name at the moment). Personally, I think Nick Lee will be an upgrade at 141, but that remains to be seen. Either way, Tomasello will be the favorite at 133, but Micic and Gross will be right there if he slips up. Ohio St. could win, but Penn St. will have to lose a good amount of their favored match ups, which is entirely possible. I couldn't agree more with your assessment on Martin. 184 was one of the toughest weight classes I can remember in recent memory. Excited to see him and Nickal next season. 

Bucks had a great tourney. Their point total was enough to win a handful of times the past decade. PSU simply ran away from everybody, a bonus point machine. I am concerned that Bo might be done. Borderline heroic what he accomplished this year. Myles seems to shine when the lights are brightest, but until he finds consistency I am not sold on a top four finish. I say PSU comfortable 1st, tOSU 2nd, Mizzou a bit back in 3rd. 

• Upvote 1

Michigan could sneak in to that 3rd place spot. I think Coon and Snyder could be the premier matchup next year. Say what you want, Snyder has wrestled some TOUGH opponents in his heavyweight finals appearances (Gwiazdowski, Medberry, and potentially Coon). 

Unfortunately, Iowa more than likely won't see the top 5, which I believe will be the first time since the Zalesky era. I know the Hawkeye board has some restless members, especially since Teasdale flipped to Penn St. last week. 

• Upvote 1

Age 19. Snyder ncaa runner up as true fresh and makes world team.

Austin myers. Still wrestling highschool kids and grads cool tournaments despite being older.

Please quit acting like the otc made kyle snyder. He was very good which is why he was invited. 

Austin  had all the advantages as well. Had many coaches in his lifetime and had 21.5 years under the tutelage of the "trainer of champions" before his freshman year. Who else has the greatest trainer of all time at home 24/7 devoting his time to your greatness. Advantage austin. 

Stick to making up fake championships for your boy, that's all he will win from here on out. Strongest heavy and people's champ.hahaha

Well you said Austin threw a plug at a ref ..Lie 

You said Snyder was 5 10 225  ...another lie you say big whup well your the one lying all the time so.big whup whatever you.say your a dirty hatin lying hypocrite .

You try to stretch the truth then.shrug it off ..your a liar period.

22 hours ago, Old wrestler said:

Michigan could sneak in to that 3rd place spot. I think Coon and Snyder could be the premier matchup next year. Say what you want, Snyder has wrestled some TOUGH opponents in his heavyweight finals appearances (Gwiazdowski, Medberry, and potentially Coon). 

Unfortunately, Iowa more than likely won't see the top 5, which I believe will be the first time since the Zalesky era. I know the Hawkeye board has some restless members, especially since Teasdale flipped to Penn St. last week. 

Coon and Snyder could be epic. 

Iowa may be in trouble. If Iowa State gets rolling it could hurt the Hawkeyes not that they both won't be recruiting Pa and NE Ohio anyway. 

I used to be a cop.  It's best to ignore the drunks rather than argue with them is what I learned.  No doubt Austin Meyers has an uphill battle created by his father.  I wrestled DI in college and earned a partial scholarship.  It isn't about the winning or losing.  It's the process of picking your butt up when it's been handed to you.  Kyle Snyder speaks about it and does so eloquently.  

I feel pity for the father of the Missouri Hwt.  He hasn't enjoyed the ride because he's been thumbing his nose at perceived enemies.  It's sad actually.

• Upvote 4

That's pretty awesome he's the "strongest"  heavy. They should work lifts into the scoring. It's crazy, all that strength and he can't get up from the bottom or take down decent heavies.,,crazy..so strong!!!

We don't choose to ignore bo's age, he has far outperformed massive and bo's dad isn't on message boards talking shit and using the "freshman" as a crutch. Bo took 3rd at ncaa and went 22-2. Austin Myers had a losing record and went 0-2 with  two shutouts..see the difference?

Are you trying to say Snyder and the buckeyes are on steroids? Any proof to these accusations, you have mentioned it a couple times.

Austin is probably the strongest wrestler with a losing record, you probably can claim that and be correct.

Congrats again.

12 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

Iowa may be in trouble. If Iowa State gets rolling it could hurt the Hawkeyes not that they both won't be recruiting Pa and NE Ohio anyway. 

I used to be a cop.  It's best to ignore the drunks rather than argue with them is what I learned.  No doubt Austin Meyers has an uphill battle created by his father.  I wrestled DI in college and earned a partial scholarship.  It isn't about the winning or losing.  It's the process of picking your butt up when it's been handed to you.  Kyle Snyder speaks about it and does so eloquently.  

I feel pity for the father of the Missouri Hwt.  He hasn't enjoyed the ride because he's been thumbing his nose at perceived enemies.  It's sad actually.

Very well said. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

Thats a scary thought ,You being a cop coming on message boards siding with haters and.rhrowing up.Kyle.Snyder while.trying to Blast one.of.your own states best Wrestlers .If you in.fact were a cop the best thing about your post is that you are no longer .

Im sure you had a great D1 wrestling career" cough" "cough " sounds like your not.from KY though.

Uphill battle created by his father ??your an idiot do.you think he and.his.brother just woke.up.and.said we will be multiple x undefeated state CHAMPS multiple x Fargo AAs and double AAs tulsa champs and.placers and on and.on and.on easily the.best youth jr.high and.High School brother duo the sport of wrestling in greater cincy nky ever saw and it just happened ...yeah keep smoking that stuff you confiscated pal.

The uphill battle is just haters like you trying to sway the public against someone who doeSnt take any.crap from scum on message boards .

Perceived enemies ? You mean like otto who spreads lies about kids throwing stuff at refs while pumping up those Olympians who have beaten a kid by making them shorter and.smaller than.they are lol or the numerous clowns who made all the stateMents about how some.bros would lose when.they came.to ky because they thought they would not because they were not good enough too but because they were forced to wrestle up classes without even.being able to practice untill two weeks before state.Thats overcoming adversity more than any kids ever in.this state.

Talking about picking your but up after a loss quoting Snyder and knocking Austin.is the most ironic comparrison.you.could make.Snyder training at the otc Austin.wrestling in.ky where more kids forfeited against him than any ky wrestler ever ? 

AUSTIN WHO GREW UP WRESTLING Mark Martin Bo and.Isaac jordan and.in one of the toughest states in.the country and made unprecedented weight jumps and still grabbed a jr high OW in ohio .Austin who didnt wrestle.freestyle Greco for years in a state with nearly zero partners yet managed OWs at reg and a double ow at Fargo first yr back and.doubled just so his state could have its first Greco AA even though it probably cost him a nat title "the champs always do one style to avoid all the matches that week "I know you morons do not understand Fargo and how it works.there .

AUSTIN WHO WITH TWO NAT TITLES LOST TO ANOTHER TWO X CHAMP ONLY TO COME.BACK AND.BEAT HIM THE NEXT YR and.win his second nat ow and an nhsca wrestler of the year award!

THATS PICKING YOURSELF UP.

AUSTIN WHO AFTER GOING TO.A Not.so great program in.college where he was lied to made the choice to leave and start over at a Power 5 team and earn a starting spot ? 

THATS PICKING YOURSELF UP 

Austin who after losing to an olympic world and national champ at his debut homecoming match after the olympics and losing under a massive spot light then losing badly a few days later to an conference rival kept going despite all the negativity and bad press thrown at him .

THATS OVERCOMING ADVERSITY

AUSTIN who kept going on after a few bad losses when everyone was down on him while he battled in a class dominated by rs upperclassmen olympians and massive human beings ?

Thats overcoming adversity 

Austin who at The MAC championships where he had to qualify for nationals took a double ot loss to someone he should have beat on their stalling and had to Face the one seed in.his conference who had majored him the same.week as his match with the olympic Champ earlier in.the year ?Austin who then surprised EVERYONE by beating his conferences top heavy and.earning his ncaa bid .

THATS PICKING YOURSELF UP AND OVERCOMING ADVERSITY .

AT EVERY LEVEL AUSTIN  HAS HAD TO OVERCOME.LOSSES AND ADVERSITY AND CAME THROUGH IN STORYBOOK FASHION HE IS THE DEFINITION OF A TRUE CHAMP A NEVER SAY DIE HARD WORKING KID WHO IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE THE BEST EVER IN THIS AND THAT STATE .

You a cop knocking a dad and a kid who have accomplished and overcame.more than you or any other hater on this site ever dreamed of..thats a joke and obviously whats wrong with this sport and.country.Think I will go set in the middle of our trophy room and pout over you knocking me.hahahahha .

As for nat a 6 to 0 loss to a rs sr 3x AA and a 1 to 0 loss to a rs jr ranked 16 in.the nation ....Sorry boys thats no losses to be down about and an obvious improvement Kroells teched an AA someone who majored Austin this yr  at NCAAs and only put up 6 against Austin and couldnt get a td And neither could his other opponent !! WHEN HES WEARING HIS MAC CHAMPIONSHIP RING NEXT TO HIS STATE TITLE RING AND TALKING ABOUT HIS TRIPS TO NCAAs and his HS nat titles yrs from now you will still just be an x cop and an.x wrestler who never did shyt except be a sellout bandwagon jumping message board hater in a clique of 3 .

PATHETIC .

• Downvote 3