Sign in to follow this  
Isaac Knable

KENTUCKY WRESTLING: LET'S GROW (video)

My family feels blessed that Dallas got so many years with Coach Knable not just for his wrestling, but for life.  

Everything he said is correct. There has never been more opportunities than there is now to grow this sport in the state.  When I talk to the old timers and recall how far we have actually come (state was held at Atherton's gym for gosh sakes), only a few actually did any wrestling out of the season, and they usually had to drive distances to do that. 

Kids don't have to wait until season starts to try it out somewhere. I would even argue that a supervised open mat setting may even be less intimidating than a first week of practice with a team type setting for a beginner. Also would give them all summer to spread the word to their friends before the season   

Greatest sport in the world. Spread the word. 

• Upvote 2

I've been a supporter of inviting rookies to spring open mats. It worked out well for us this past season. Brought in a kid who wouldn't wrestle during the season but agreed to try it out in a low stress setting, worked all spring and summer and ended up a state qualifier in his first year

• Upvote 1