Sign in to follow this  
grappler-of-old

Summer Programs

Are there any affordable summer programs going on?  

Seems like there are plenty of programs for those with the means but very few if any for those that do not have several hundreds of dollars to spend on training. 

No-Ox is very affordable and many times over the years has been free to anyone who can't afford to participate. 

I have found that a small fee will make a bit of commitment than just free services. Anyone who just can't afford No-Ox message me and I'm more than willing to help out. 

• Upvote 4

Very good point No-ox.

For whatever reason free usually = no kids show up

Dutch and I have run spring and summer workouts for a few years now at no cost and never get more than 6-8 kids who show up. 

3 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Dutch and I have run spring and summer workouts for a few years now at no cost and never get more than 6-8 kids who show up. 

Ranger you know that is more than some schools get out for there regular season practices.

Bryan Station will have open mats in Lexington from 3:30-5:30 as part of an after school project I have started at the Urban Ninja Project. Free mat time is Tues/Wed/thurs with prior approval. A small fee will allow students to use the indoor obstacle course for training Mon and Fri. Financial help is available. 

HPWC at Moore in Louisville isn't charging anything, gotta have your USA Wrestling Card though

I remember in high school I'm pretty sure I was supposed to pay something to go to Knucklehead Wrestling Club (fantastic wrestling club in Clarksville, Tennessee) but I ended up never paying anything haha.

42 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Ranger you know that is more than some schools get out for there regular season practices.

That doesn't make it acceptable. An opportunity to train with state champions and all Americans and few take advantage of it. 

11 minutes ago, FalconWrestling said:

HPWC at Moore in Louisville isn't charging anything, gotta have your USA Wrestling Card though

I remember in high school I'm pretty sure I was supposed to pay something to go to Knucklehead Wrestling Club (fantastic wrestling club in Clarksville, Tennessee) but I ended up never paying anything haha.

I don't mind the nominal fee.  Just the outrageous money grab fees. 

I have never seen a wrestler turned away from Invicta or ETC because of money.I know of many cases where athletes trained at what they could afford.These generous coaches all ready have the little guy covered with their time and talent.

• Upvote 3

On 2/27/2017 at 0:42 PM, grappler-of-old said:

Are there any affordable summer programs going on?  

Seems like there are plenty of programs for those with the means but very few if any for those that do not have several hundreds of dollars to spend on training. 

Grappler is 6-7 dollars a session affordable? Here's what goes into our summer club

1. room cost and mat fee 4,000.00 from now until sept 

2. Supplemental insurance1,000.00

3. Clothing for 40 kids 3,000.00

4. Dual tournament fees 800 x 3= 2,400

5 travel expenses 600.00

6. paid coach  3000.00

That's not all of it. Our club has given scholarships, discounted fee, covered travel and food for kids. We donated a 1,000 to a inner city club program for shoes and singlets. No one has ever been turned away for money. Hell there i is still money owed from last year.

Ok I'm done 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

In some ways, you get what you pay for.  While some of the best coaches may be able to offer training for free, others need it as income.  I'm referring to off-season training, not in-season by the way.  High school coaches don't make anything for the hours they put in.

Yes 6-7 is affordable if they can choose to not attend them all not have to pay the full amount. 

I'm just saying that for many people $300 - $600 is more than they make on one paycheck. I know my parents did not have the $$ for this.  One year I got to go to a camp. Our family gave up our summer vacation so that I could attend.  Looking back that was not fair to my parents and sister. 

I'm just looking for places that some of these kids can attend.  Many will not ask for help or a discount (pride).  Seems there are plenty of big dollar places to go but very little small dollar places. 

We wonder why basketball is so popular?  They have AAU teams where a kid will play all summer for almost nothing, and sponsors pick up the rest of the tab. (Which the coaches usually find). 

Wrestlers who have reached higher skill levels will find few if any open mats or come when you feel like it situations that help them improve.Parents who already are supporting their childs efforts do not need to drive to Jeff Jordans to find good work out partners.These rooms offer everyone consistent opportunities to improve.The cost of establishing these clubs requires commitment and fees to stay open. Most parents are more than willing to sacrifice money or pride to see their child working hard toward a goal.Kentucky wrestling is going to keep improving and these clubs are helping wrestlers achieve their off season goals.It is regrettable that they are not a fit for everyone but they are a tremendous asset for those who take advantage of them.

• Upvote 1

If you do the hourly math on Carr's monthly group fee, it comes out to about $7-8 / hour, if you attend all of the 3x / week sessions.  For the top shelf instructor qualifications, that's a superb group rate (yes, their 1-1 rate is more).  If you'd like to compare across sports, try finding a pitching or batting lesson with ex-college players anywhere around Lexington for less than $20 / 30 minutes or $30 / hourly, you won't be very successful.  Granted sometimes that's 1-1 instruction, but usually that's the comparable small group rate. 

15 hours ago, coffeesgood said:

Wrestlers who have reached higher skill levels will find few if any open mats or come when you feel like it situations that help them improve.Parents who already are supporting their childs efforts do not need to drive to Jeff Jordans to find good work out partners.These rooms offer everyone consistent opportunities to improve.The cost of establishing these clubs requires commitment and fees to stay open. Most parents are more than willing to sacrifice money or pride to see their child working hard toward a goal.Kentucky wrestling is going to keep improving and these clubs are helping wrestlers achieve their off season goals.It is regrettable that they are not a fit for everyone but they are a tremendous asset for those who take advantage of them.

I agree 100% on everything you said here. 

But where can those that cannot afford or have non supportive parents go?  Just looking for places for those kids to go.  Some wrestling is better than no wrestling at all. 

We don't need to look out for just the elite/top caliber wrestlers, or well to do/supportive families.  They have to start somewhere. 

Again kudos to Coach Thomas and Moore high school for open mats. 

OPEN  MATS are the key along with the numbers its like what someone.has mentioned if its free hardly anyone.shows it makes very little sense Nothing is taught at Jordans open.mats They may go over a move or two then its all live wrestling the key is the numbers and caliber of kids there .A room in ky with 4 or 5 state champs a few coaches helping and 20 or 40 Kids would be just as effective .The problem is no one will show even if it is set up.

There is a little place at 14876 Brown Road in Verona that has had FREE open mats for years.  Matter of fact it will going on tonight from 6-8.  As far as competition, there will be a room full of State Champs/Placers from 86lbs to 182.  All are welcome!!!

• Upvote 1

Some other college pampered world handed to them on a silver platter wrestlers coming to roll around with your group tonight as well

3 hours ago, dutch said:

There is a little place at 14876 Brown Road in Verona that has had FREE open mats for years.  Matter of fact it will going on tonight from 6-8.  As far as competition, there will be a room full of State Champs/Placers from 86lbs to 182.  All are welcome!!!

Any type of consistent future schedule available to the public for said open mats?

They are out of.shape talking about dieting with girlscout cookies in hand never saw a 149 lber turn into a heavyweight so fast.