Sign in to follow this  
wildcat2002

UNI STUNS Mizzou, wins MAC title

#19 UNI just took it to the #8 Missouri tigers this afternoon. UNI got the ball rolling at Hwt where they wrestled their back up, winless (0-4), 197 pounder against ATM. Austin lost a hard fought match ans was shut out offensively again giving up a take down and reversal and earning 3 escapes. 4-3. Myers did look much bigger and strongerbut it made little difference for his attacks.

Upsets all afternoon at home for Missouri. Mayes and Lewis were both upset as well. Nothing well Mizzouso way. They had a 20 something dual win streak against the Mac but got out to a rough start. Congrats to UNI for there mac championship. Final 25-10

http://www.mutigers.com/schedule.aspx?path=wrestling   match link

http://unipanthers.com/news/2017/2/12/-19-uni-wrestling-sweeps-mac-earns-title-with-25-10-win.aspx  UNI press release 

• Upvote 2

I thought this had the potential to be a close dual. UNI matches up well with Mizzou. However, my money was on Mizzou as they were favored in at least 6 matches. I guess the shocker was the Thomsen-Mayes result. Did not see that coming.

Nice to see Cox get the pin on senior night.

• Upvote 1

It looks to me like ATM and several other Mizzou wrestlers (like Barlow) have little chance of hitting to the NCAA tourney unless they win the MAC tournament.  Very remote chance right now with losing records.  

• Upvote 2

Nah, no need to pile on. The kid is having a rough year.

Watched the dual last night. First few matches were snoozefests. Lackluster effort from both guys at HWT. Bartel (a 197, 0-4 on the year) scores off a weak Myers shot in 1st, then rolls out from bottom and gets reversal in 2nd. Much quicker than Myers, but I don't think he attempted one shot, aside from the 1st period re-shot. He had nothing on top and Myers was out quick after reversal as well as to start the 3rd. Myers took a handful of shots in the match, none were close to scoring. Ref was late to warn Bartel for stalling, had Myers done more he could have forced a stall point. McGee seemed to have zero interest in scoring. Could have been hit with multiple stall calls. His head is somewhere else right now. He was a top 5 guy to start the year. Now out of the top 20. I don't think it is injury related as he won Edinboro. No reason to lose to a back up like that. Three stall calls, zero TDs. Eierman-Hodges was good match. I like Eierman, he has some funk and my bet is he will AA next year. He is a RS frosh. Although #9, the guys ahead of him are studs. Add in #11 Gulibon, #15 Pletcher, and #18 Carton and this is one helluva a weight class. Mayes-Thomsen was a bit of a shocker. I really like Mayes and had not seen Thomsen this year. Mayes had no gas tank in 3rd, giving up backs to start the period. Followed by two Thomsen TDs and more back points. This raised some eyebrows as Mayes had a good ride in 2nd which should have put him in a nice position to take the match. J'Den was awesome. He appears 100% healthy and ready for deep run in NCAAs. 

Mizzou had high hopes to compete for National title this year. They have a couple big holes in the lineup (Miklus injury a big blow), but should still make top ten. They can help their seedings by showing well at the MACs. 

UNI has a bunch of top ten guys and could be dangerous outs at NCAAs. Peters (#10 @125) and Everard (currently unranked after recent poor results, injury) did not go vs Mizzou. Although they were not needed for this dual, they are point scorers. Intermat has UNI at #21. I could see them climbing into top 15 at NCAAs. 

• Upvote 1

I'm really not hating on Myers for losing, I highly respect the kid for what he's accomplished... arguably the best KY high school wrestler ever.  But does anyone else think he'd be better at 197?  I realize Cox is there so it's not an option right now.  He just seems short for 197 and his frame is almost maxed out without being a bodybuilder.  I think he'd be seriously competitive at 197, maybe an outside shot to AA next year, certainly the year after, especially if Cox stays to keep training at Mizzou.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Zeus said:

I'm really not hating on Myers for losing, I highly respect the kid for what he's accomplished... arguably the best KY high school wrestler ever.  But does anyone else think he'd be better at 197?  I realize Cox is there so it's not an option right now.  He just seems short for 197 and his frame is almost maxed out without being a bodybuilder.  I think he'd be seriously competitive at 197, maybe an outside shot to AA next year, certainly the year after, especially if Cox stays to keep training at Mizzou.

He's not a legit heavy. He looks entirely different at the weight. He needs to start the cut to 197 in March. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Wrestling Dad said:

Cradle...you dog...LOL

No disrespect meant for ATM. He is a stud and will eventually make NCAAs and maybe AA.  But his dad is bully and bullies don't deserve respect.

• Upvote 5

He finds himself in a situation many bigger guys do: too big for 97, too small (by traditional standards) for HWT. The HWT class is undergoing significant change. The era of two slow-footed biggies leaning on each other for two plus periods is over. We now see many athletic and lighter guys having great success. A trend that is here to stay. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, crazyotto said:

He finds himself in a situation many bigger guys do: too big for 97, too small (by traditional standards) for HWT. The HWT class is undergoing significant change. The era of two slow-footed biggies leaning on each other for two plus periods is over. We now see many athletic and lighter guys having great success. A trend that is here to stay. 

Perhaps he's better off weighing as much as Snyder does. Maybe 225-235. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

He's not a legit heavy. He looks entirely different at the weight. He needs to start the cut to 197 in March. 

I'm not sure 197 will be much better. He is definitely way too slow for 197, If hes struggling with his quickness at hwt. His shape doesn't really match up well at either weight. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, wildcat2002 said:

I'm not sure 197 will be much better. He is definitely way too slow for 197, If hes struggling with his quickness at hwt. His shape doesn't really match up well at either weight. 

This actually makes no sense. If he drops weight he will become much faster.  

I believe that him trying to gain wt. for HWT is the problem.  But I also would trust those at Mizzou. I am sure they know what they are doing. 

5 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

This actually makes no sense. If he drops weight he will become much faster.  

I believe that him trying to gain wt. for HWT is the problem.  But I also would trust those at Mizzou. I am sure they know what they are doing. 

He's slow vs hwts. He will still be slow against more athletic 197s.  I don't think either of us will ever know because he most likely stays at hwt.

On 2/15/2017 at 3:21 PM, CradleKY said:

yeah I agree with goo.  he will be just fine at HWT.  only a freshman. bright future ahead and I'd still bet on ATM being an AA one day.

I doubt he ever even beats an AA let alone becomes one. 

• Upvote 2

Well since he beat a wrestler ranked in the coaches and rpi latest poll wed and has beaten 4 on those rankings and is the onky KY college wrestler ranked in the rpi poll and is a rs Fresh I think he has a very nice chance to AA before hes done .

A Lot of negativity towards someone who has done more for  the sport in this state and certainly for his school than anyone in.his time or before .

A bad loss to a wrestler who did nothing but scramble and stall and who would lose 99 out of 100 times against him followed by a Huge win in his last dual and match of the regular season  against a wrestler 22 8  who has beaten qualifiers and a few who beat Austin earlier this year and is ranked in both NCAA coaches polls .

THE FACT is he is not slow he attacks everyone early in every match EVERYONE from Snyder to the last person he wrestled his offense is that of a lighter weight wrestler his endurance is simply noy there for 3 periods at times although he did beat McKiernan in.ot with a TD and was in deep a few times eaelier in the match .

Of course this is a hater thread so Facts are waisted .As for CC greatest lol to even say someone who was teched his sr year by a freshman and had so many losses is a schools greatest wrestler vs A kid who is easily the schools.greatest athlete ever and the states most winning wrestler without question   is amuzing if not ridiculous .differnt worlds between 125 and and hvy you see no fr ranked top 20 at hvy but numerous fr and soph in.the lightest weights top 20 those are some Stats for some jokers that are legit.

There have been a lot of KY wrestlers who were good but only one ATM and no one will ever even put a scratch into equaling his record or achievements .

GOOD points about speed but that will return along with technique as he continues to adjust and I doubt Mizzou wants anyone else at Heavy or him to drop with him beating guys like Everard and McKiernan as a fresh .Theres a reason is ranked 24 in RPI poll he has wrestled the best and one of the toughest schedules in the country and win or lose earned that spot and  no one else on.his team not even Olympic medalists wrestled every tournament and.match on.the starting roster they rested recovered or took of when ill not him he wrestled smerchek while ill.last week and won and no excuses perhaps he wasnt 100 percent this week but he sure ended his reg season on an upnote with a win where he was favored to lose against an opponent no one from KY ever could have beaten 

• Downvote 2

On 2/13/2017 at 11:44 PM, crazyotto said:

I could be wrong, but I think the MAC gets 4 AQs at 125. However, HWT only gets one. 

Strange they only get one when.they have two heavies in The ncaa top 33 coaches poll and 4 in.the rpi poll that is used by every major college sport to determine championship bids A winning record against weak comp means.little Myers ranked 24 last week in RPI the mac should get at least 3 in with 2 in coaches and 4 in rpi but it will not happen due to politics .

9 hours ago, Achilles said:

Strange they only get one when.they have two heavies in The ncaa top 33 coaches poll and 4 in.the rpi poll that is used by every major college sport to determine championship bids A winning record against weak comp means.little Myers ranked 24 last week in RPI the mac should get at least 3 in with 2 in coaches and 4 in rpi but it will not happen due to politics .

I don't think it is politics. At NCAAs last year, Hutchison went 0-2. He is top returning HWT in MAC. Now injured. I totally agree that a winning record vs weak comp means little, same goes for losing record vs strong comp. Bottom line, ya gotta beat the top guys to get ranked. Heck, Snyder doesn't even qualify for RPI. Many flaws in RPI. The MAC has zero guys in Intermat top 25 at HWT. I trust that more than coaches poll. Many coaches aren't well educated on all wrestlers (not a knock), some give the poll to an assistant to fill out. The takeaway here is that to be included in the big field you gotta win. The good news is this gets settled on the mat. Win MACs, get in. Lose, and hope your record merits an at-large bid. 

• Upvote 1