Sign in to follow this  
Sandman

113 ( or whatever the weight is now)

State Tournament  

33 members have voted

1. 1. which would you prefer?

• random draw
    • proper seeding

Topics like these tend to rise up around this time of year where we discuss the effectiveness of random draws, rather than proper seeding. I figured it would be worth it to bring light to one of the examples as to why we SHOULD switch to a seeding style bracket.

113's bottom half of the bracket boasts the number 2,3,4,5,6,8, 9 seed. with the top half 

not salty, just pointing out its best, to save the best matches for the later rounds and where i dont have the full bracket in front of me, odds are you are going to have atleast 2 of the top 8 kids wrestling eachother in conso's to get to placing matches.

If they decide to seed, what if the #1 & #2 ranked kids are in the same region?  Will the #2 ranked kid get the overall 2 seed?  Will we stop at 8, 16 or the entire 32 man bracket?  Even if we stop at 16,  are you suggesting that a kid that came on strong at his/her region tournament and won even though he/she is ranked outside the top 20 not even get a seed?  As we've all said before, what do rankings really mean when it comes time to wrestle.  Nothing.  So if not rankings what would we use to seed.  The random draw eliminates all of that mess.  It's a true cream rises to the top approach.  As a fan, it's not my favorite.  I would much rather see the top 2 battle in the finals together as opposed to the quarters.  However, from a competition perspective, I believe it's the best most unbiased approach.  What I've learned to love about this great sport is that nothing is given to the champ unlike other sports.  They, like all the others, must fight, scratch and claw their way to the top. Good luck to all the wrestlers that qualified. 

• Upvote 2

If they are in the same region they would be on opposite side of the bracket anyway. We know the right thing to do but how many years will it take before it is done. 

Yet that Random Draw is fine if you're the best mentality only works, well, if you are the best. Yes, it didnt matter for the stud who won the weight class; but it has drastic effects for the remaining guys. you are speaking from the wrestlers mentaility "idc who i face i am the best one here"  im speaking from a fan's mentaility, i want to see the true 1 and 2 face in the finals, the true 3-8 face eachother in the placing matches and not because they got the luck of the draw, but because they beat the kid they should of beat, or pulled an upset.

I personally like the way they seed the middle school, seed the regional winners and the rest plays out. If the one ranked kid and the two ranked kid are in the same region they automatically get placed opposite side of bracket. At least you've seperated what rankings call the top ranked kids. Upsets are bound to happen, that is what makes this sport exciting. I personally think it's unfair to the kids.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Yet that Random Draw is fine if you're the best mentality only works, well, if you are the best. Yes, it didnt matter for the stud who won the weight class; but it has drastic effects for the remaining guys. you are speaking from the wrestlers mentaility "idc who i face i am the best one here"  im speaking from a fan's mentaility, i want to see the true 1 and 2 face in the finals, the true 3-8 face eachother in the placing matches and not because they got the luck of the draw, but because they beat the kid they should of beat, or pulled an upset.

Like I said, I'm with you from a fan's perspective. But do we change the way it's seeded for the fans or for the wrestlers?  

REscalera

the current system is for nobody, and helps nobody. wrestlers 2-8 have to bank on not getting a bad draw or they not get to the finals or to medal rounds. 

• Upvote 1

Just food for thought. I'm pretty sure all other tournaments that the KHSAA puts on are seeded, including seeding players in tennis. Not sure why this can't work. Seed region Champs 1 - 8.

• Upvote 1