Sign in to follow this  
cmccoy

Atherton Heavyweight - Ian Bright

I'm not supposed to get on here but Atherton's heavyweight Ian Bright suffered a very frightening and horrific injury today to his knee and leg. I am asking the wrestling community to please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Wrestling is the least important thing to him right now. 

Saw this on facebook:

When he woke up after they rotated his leg back around, one of the first things Ian asked about was where the Male "kid" (the one he was wrestling against when this happened) was. Ian said he wanted him to know that it wasn't his fault. So if anyone knows the other kid that was involved in this, we want you to know that we know you've been in as much pain mentally as Ian has physically. And we all hope that you're able to get through this as well. So much love out to Ian's coaches, team, all of the Atherton High School and fellow wrestlers throughout the county. We thank you all for your love, professionalism, and support.

• Upvote 7

When I left the hospital today, Ian was in the process of being discharged.  He was in great spirits and you would not have known that it was just 24 hrs. afterwards.  He was looking to get home to his own bed.  He will need to be non-weight bearing on that leg for 4 weeks.  Surgeon was very pleased with the surgery, turned out to be more than just a dislocation.  Thank you to all that got involved and helped Ian in that moment.  I'd like to thank my fellow wrestling coaches who offered to help our team or took the time to offer kind words.  Please continue to keep Ian and his family in your prayers.

Coach Brutscher

Atherton Wrestling

• Upvote 7

Hello everyone,

My name is Byron Bright and I am Ian's dad. I thought I'd send an update. Ian is continuing to improve. He's still dealing with some pain of course, but he's doing much better. His leg has been immobilized for a few weeks before he can start physical therapy to start walking again. He's got a pretty long road of recovery ahead of him but he's really in very good spirits. His biggest complaints have been about boredom more than anything.

I also want to add that the young man from Male High School, who was also involved in the match, reached out to Ian and they're planning to meet soon. I know that this gentleman has been going through his own personal torture. However, him reaching out to Ian and wanting to meet and hang out with him is probably the greatest moment of sportsmanship and absolute class that I've ever witnessed. This young man has been suffering with the thoughts of what happened and to reach out and contact Ian, well, it meant the world to all of us, especially Ian.

On behalf of our whole family, I want to say thank you to everyone for your prayers, thoughts, and concerns. If there's anything else I can answer, please don't hesitate to ask. We can't begin to express how much the support from everyone in the wrestling community has meant to us all. Thank you again.

• Upvote 8

8 hours ago, BBright72 said:

Hello everyone,

My name is Byron Bright and I am Ian's dad. I thought I'd send an update. Ian is continuing to improve. He's still dealing with some pain of course, but he's doing much better. His leg has been immobilized for a few weeks before he can start physical therapy to start walking again. He's got a pretty long road of recovery ahead of him but he's really in very good spirits. His biggest complaints have been about boredom more than anything.

I also want to add that the young man from Male High School, who was also involved in the match, reached out to Ian and they're planning to meet soon. I know that this gentleman has been going through his own personal torture. However, him reaching out to Ian and wanting to meet and hang out with him is probably the greatest moment of sportsmanship and absolute class that I've ever witnessed. This young man has been suffering with the thoughts of what happened and to reach out and contact Ian, well, it meant the world to all of us, especially Ian.

On behalf of our whole family, I want to say thank you to everyone for your prayers, thoughts, and concerns. If there's anything else I can answer, please don't hesitate to ask. We can't begin to express how much the support from everyone in the wrestling community has meant to us all. Thank you again.

These are the types of stories we need to hear more. Im very sorry to hear about the injury, but your son sounds like an incredible young man. Ian will be in my thoughts and prayers. You've obviously raised a special young man. Good luck on your road to recovery, Ian. 

• Upvote 1