Parent

2018 youth state wrestling tournament

I hope not this years venue was horrible.  To many parents down in the mat area during the youth tournament.  Then on top of that the concession ran out of over priced food.  I would like to see it back at at the horse park or a different venue.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Trell9998 said:

I agree, then not enough table workers, they were begging for workers. Computers crashed on couple tables. But great view!!!

Table workers have nothing to do with the venue.  Lack of table workers lies totally on participating teams.  Not enough folks willing to help out, which is crazy since the teams get paid for working.

• Upvote 2

I agree with rjs4470, not enough people willing come down and help run a table for the benefit of their wrestler and the sport. But will sit in the stands and complain about the view. Believe it or not, 98% of the people on the floor had coaches bands that their coach gave to them. They are the adults that help out with the teams. Some teams have large number of kids and need extra help on mats coaching. Also the food was a huge issue, I agree. Even the overpriced horrible pizza we got for running it all weekend. And that was a slice if you were lucky. The Broadbent is the right venue for the youth and MS state. All the venues are overpriced food. Last year downtown Louisville ran out of food. So did the horse park 4 years ago. That is something we will have to work out with the venue for next year. 

• Upvote 2

Really, aside from the concessions, none of the other issues brought up are venue related.  And people are going to be unhappy with concession choices/service/price regardless of the venue the tourney is held at.  Broadbent is a great venue for the Youth/Middle School Tourney's.  Not too big but plenty of seating,  ample parking, hotels within walking distance/quick drive.  And most importantly, there is room to grow as the tourney's continue to grow.  Sure there were some operational hiccups, but that should be expected at any venue the first time through.  

I really thought the venue was a great place even with the parents around the gates I stayed in the stands and was able to see my son wrestle with a great view.  I did hate that he was on a mat with no clock/scoreboard and that the computer went down for a bit but you always know going to wrestling tournaments its going to be a long day.

• Upvote 1

I really liked the seating and space inside the arena. The venue itself was good however I still prefer the horse park in Lexington because it's located more central. 

Table workers for Youth was a mess at times. You had young children (not older than 7) operating the laptops and mistakes were bound to happen. 

I found it crazy that during Youth the population on the floor was higher than people sitting in the stands. Suggestions for next year, enforce more efficient floor rules. Everyone but the dogs and cats were present. 

I would also love to see a large display to show about numbers and wrestler assignments. If would eliminate lots of questions. 

Food was terrible. They ran out of food and rhe food itself wasn't good at all. I think i would rather pay 8 bucks for a hamburger at the horse park than the Brats at the Broadbend. 

Middle School went much better and it was well organized. 

I also enjoy and loved to watch the Face -Off for Youth. This should def be added again. 

Lastly, I want to say thank you to all the volunteers and coaches. You guys do such a great job. Also the Ice Crean was awesome. 

See you all next year 

• Upvote 1

To many youth wrestlers for a face off! Need a 2 day tournament for that. But that is a good thing! Means kentucky wrestling is growing! I hope it's at the SAME place next year! Signing off for awhile, great year see u next year.

4 hours ago, That's two points said:

To many youth wrestlers for a face off! Need a 2 day tournament for that. But that is a good thing! Means kentucky wrestling is growing! I hope it's at the SAME place next year! Signing off for awhile, great year see u next year.

He's exactly right on the face offs. We had every intention on doing them but with the number of kids we still had many brackets close in weight and 16 man full. Also with the first year of trying to run it all on track it did cost us some time. We tried making it up but it wasn't enough time. Some great information was gathered by things done right and things to improve on for next year. Should be a great 2018 State!

• Upvote 1

I don't think the horse park is really an option. Logistically it is a nightmare (trust me) and financially it isn't much better than a nightmare. Not to mention they are not easy to work with. Under the current structure we are piggybacking ms and youth so we need to keep that in mind for the site. 

Not to mention there were plenty of issues with that site. 

This my first year as wrestling parent, soon as I learn more and figure it all out then I'll help but I'm not one to jump into something and make mistakes that coulda been avoided. 

• Downvote 1

15 hours ago, gameface said:

He's exactly right on the face offs. We had every intention on doing them but with the number of kids we still had many brackets close in weight and 16 man full. Also with the first year of trying to run it all on track it did cost us some time. We tried making it up but it wasn't enough time. Some great information was gathered by things done right and things to improve on for next year. Should be a great 2018 State!

We need to get rid of the overlapping weights and have larger brackets where possible. This year we had 96 brackets! 2016 was 99! 2015 was 71 (the last year face-offs were done for youth). This means we had 71 State Champs in 2015, 99 State Champs in 2016, and 96 State Champs in 2017. There is plenty of room for improvement. Face-offs would be completely feasible if there weren't so many weight classes. Number of wrestlers that participated by year 2015- 942, 2016- 1169, 2017- 1131.

1 hour ago, Mr. Matman said:

We need to get rid of the overlapping weights and have larger brackets where possible. This year we had 96 brackets! 2016 was 99! 2015 was 71 (the last year face-offs were done for youth). This means we had 71 State Champs in 2015, 99 State Champs in 2016, and 96 State Champs in 2017. There is plenty of room for improvement. Face-offs would be completely feasible if there weren't so many weight classes. Number of wrestlers that participated by year 2015- 942, 2016- 1169, 2017- 1131.

I do not disagree at all with what your saying. We continue to get closer to making this thing run close to perfect. The introduction of Track did take some time this year. It was a necessary change. The absolute #1 thing we need to have next year is more parent participation. I can tell you for 100% certainty, there was 2 volunteers this year from one of our biggest teams . They have some amazing parents that have kids in the youth program, that if asked and set up ahead of time would help, but they were not asked to volunteer by our new head coach and that was a huge break down by our club and the KSWA telling these teams they need to man the tablesvand the clubs stepping up and asking " what do you need from us" We are the same club that manned 10 tables, ran the head table and set up and tore down at the horse park and Frankfort for years.  Exactly what River City is doing now. We are one of the largest clubs in the state and have a responsibility to help on tables. So we need to create a communication next year at the beginning of Janurary to make sure all teams have enough table workers for the size of their programs and also enough coaches to man the corner. I like the 4/1 ratio wrestler/coach. 

My experience has only been for the last four tournaments and something seems to improve every year.    We really liked the venue and the setup.   For the people that wanted to stand at the rail, I don't think that would have blocked anyone's view from the stands so that is always good.    As far as additional improvements or ideas.   I'm sure there is a reason to this that I'm not understanding so forgive me for asking but why have the largest groups by number,   06-07 and 08-09 competing at the same time.  Why not split those into the AM and PM sessions?  I would think that would make things go much faster.    Also, seemed like buying tickets and getting in early for the youth was a problem.    Would it be possible to offer on-line purchases of tickets also so people can buy them beforehand?  I would think something like Eventbrite or other online ticketing company could help with that.    One last thought as far as the tickets, would it be feasible to offer a two day pass option for MS and Youth?   I know I heard several people say they would've come watch the MS but they didn't want to pay full price for two days, especially for just a few hours after they weighed in Saturday.   Maybe just knock off a few bucks so people feel like they are getting some kind of discount.   Anything lost in revenue by discounting the second day I would think would be made up by larger volume of people from youth going to middle school.    Maybe you do, I just missed it, if so I apologize.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FrankB said:

My experience has only been for the last four tournaments and something seems to improve every year.    We really liked the venue and the setup.   For the people that wanted to stand at the rail, I don't think that would have blocked anyone's view from the stands so that is always good.    As far as additional improvements or ideas.   I'm sure there is a reason to this that I'm not understanding so forgive me for asking but why have the largest groups by number,   06-07 and 08-09 competing at the same time.  Why not split those into the AM and PM sessions?  I would think that would make things go much faster.    Also, seemed like buying tickets and getting in early for the youth was a problem.    Would it be possible to offer on-line purchases of tickets also so people can buy them beforehand?  I would think something like Eventbrite or other online ticketing company could help with that.    One last thought as far as the tickets, would it be feasible to offer a two day pass option for MS and Youth?   I know I heard several people say they would've come watch the MS but they didn't want to pay full price for two days, especially for just a few hours after they weighed in Saturday.   Maybe just knock off a few bucks so people feel like they are getting some kind of discount.   Anything lost in revenue by discounting the second day I would think would be made up by larger volume of people from youth going to middle school.    Maybe you do, I just missed it, if so I apologize.

Those are some great ideas. And I like the 2 day pass to get more fans in the seats for MS. Advance tickets would allow you the option to buy for both and see the immediate discount. Creating an experience for the kids is what it all about. I will share this at the next meeting. Thank you for the positive feedback. 

18 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

I don't think the horse park is really an option. Logistically it is a nightmare (trust me) and financially it isn't much better than a nightmare. Not to mention they are not easy to work with. Under the current structure we are piggybacking ms and youth so we need to keep that in mind for the site. 

I personally would like to see high school moved from the horse park.  I'm really glad to see that it's probably not an option for youth and middle school going forward. 

On 2/6/2017 at 1:36 PM, wrestlingfan03 said:

I really liked the seating and space inside the arena. The venue itself was good however I still prefer the horse park in Lexington because it's located more central. 

Marion County is the geographic center of Kentucky so there isn't much of a difference between the Horse Park and Broadbent.  In fact, Broadbent might be closer.  Population-wise, I'd imagine Louisville is much closer to being centrally located than Lexington.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FrankB said:

You should help plan next years tournament all great ideas in my opinion!

19 hours ago, Ranger123 said:

I didn't like all the dust at the horse park! This years venue had a great view to watch wrestling! The venue was the BEST I have seen!

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2017 at 2:01 PM, That's two points said:

Face off should be left to Middle and High School level more of a qualifying event perk.  The venue was at a great location.  Horse Park is too large to really have a great atmosphere.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1