Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2016/2017 - FEBRUARY 2

As soon as I post this I know there are updates to make, but Dutch and I put some time into getting this done, so I figured go ahead and get it out and update next week going into region.

A lot of interesting results out of state duals.  2 major things.  First, Union County is a great team.  One that will be very hard to beat.  Second, 120 is a heck of a weight class this year.  Here is how we sorted it out:

- Wells has been #1 and wrestled a good schedule most of the year and hasn't lost to anyone in state and I don't think he has any "common opponent" losses that would drop him down.

- Insko was a top 8-10 kid at 126; since dropping down he has been tough with some big wins and no losses

- Wheeler/Yost is a toss-up with them splitting the last 2 weeks.  So I use the All Star match as the tie breaker and give Wheeler the edge for now.

- Roth/Bacon have split with the Roth win a lot more recent and in a more pressure packed situation.

- Storck drops a bit; his schedule hasn't given him the opportunity to get as many big wins as the top 6

- Haverstick has taken some weird losses

Rankings_16_17_0202.pdf

Not trying to make anyone mad but Dixie heights came out with a dominating weekend with 7 champions, a fourth placer, and a first place team finish, I don't know if you saw it but...

106-Joey Delong defeated the #10  wrestler from male

138-Austin Nixon defeated the #6 from Ashland blazers and the #7 from Moore 

160- James Barrie defeated #7 from south oldam 

195-Keegan Cundiff defeated #18 from south oldam 

220-Jacob Peters defeated #5 from bourbon county

285-Kairus Washington with the biggest upset of the tournament, he defeated #2 from Madison southern 

like I said not trying to start anything but showing it just in case you didn't get any info from the wolverine invitational 

51 minutes ago, Funky said:

Not trying to make anyone mad but Dixie heights came out with a dominating weekend with 7 champions, a fourth placer, and a first place team finish, I don't know if you saw it but...

106-Joey Delong defeated the #10  wrestler from male

138-Austin Nixon defeated the #6 from Ashland blazers and the #7 from Moore 

160- James Barrie defeated #7 from south oldam 

195-Keegan Cundiff defeated #18 from south oldam 

220-Jacob Peters defeated #5 from bourbon county

285-Kairus Washington with the biggest upset of the tournament, he defeated #2 from Madison southern 

like I said not trying to start anything but showing it just in case you didn't get any info from the wolverine invitational 

It does seem no shifts for Wolverine. I'd say Kairus Washington rightly deserves #2 spot after that performance. Not sure if Madison Southern HW had an off night, but the HW from DH is huge, strong, and athletic. 

The 106 final was razor thin. If they wrestled 10 times it'd go 5-5 probably. Not sure about the rest.

• Downvote 1

We did not get a chance to see the results from the Wolverine tournament prior to the updates we did early this week. I do agree that there were several solid wins from Dixie and a few others schools. These results will be taken into consideration on the next set of rankings that will be posted prior to the regional tournaments. 

We will also be adding Tyland Tucker to the rankings @126. 

Good luck to all the wrestlers. 

• Upvote 1

Once again, thank you Ranger123 for giving us old men something to talk about. 120lbs is gonna fun to watch at state. Insko with a lot of big wins and getting hot at the right time. 138 should be fun if Johnson stays down there, (I don't know why he would with a state title for his taking at 145.) Bell from LaRue up at 160 for regions, think he should do well at state. Leak and Smallwood should be fun at regions, they have been wrestling each other since they were kids. Good to see Shantz from Meade get some recognition, he is a strong 182 and hopefully does well at state. Steven and Jett at 1-2 for regions. Jett had some statement wins and Steven just dominating all year. Zachariah Jones from Central Hardin is legit at 220 and should compete for a state title. Glad to see Region 2 getting some recognition, tough teams and tough kids in this area.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys for your hard work 

just wanted to let you know that Torgerson will be at 138  he has lost to Sheffer 10-3 I think 

and against Trent he has lost the last two matches 2-4 in overtime and 5-3  he has beaten regalado in there only match at Fort knox

1 hour ago, matdad78 said:

Thanks guys for your hard work 

just wanted to let you know that Torgerson will be at 138  he has lost to Sheffer 10-3 I think 

and against Trent he has lost the last two matches 2-4 in overtime and 5-3  he has beaten regalado in there only match at Fort knox

Torgerson beat Regalado last year at Ft Knox. They have not wrestled this year. 

Lets take a second to commend Trent Johnson, the kids a go get er. Had what seemed to be pretty secure state title at 145. But decides to drop to 138 and even after loosing to sheffer once, challenge him for all of the marbles. Wish more kids were not scared to take losses and would bump around during the season. But this is the state title on the line, takes guts. Could the best match of the night possibly go in johnsons favor and prevent sheffer from #4?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TECHnWIN said:

Lets take a second to commend Trent Johnson, the kids a go get er. Had what seemed to be pretty secure state title at 145. But decides to drop to 138 and even after loosing to sheffer once, challenge him for all of the marbles. Wish more kids were not scared to take losses and would bump around during the season. But this is the state title on the line, takes guts. Could the best match of the night possibly go in johnsons favor and prevent sheffer from #4?

Takes some manhood to do that. The kid will take any match, any weight, any time.

I sure hope wrestling gods put Sheffer and Johnson on opposite sides of the bracket. Nothing's a given, surprises always happen at state, but those two shouldn't meet up anywhere besides under the spot light. 

24 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

I sure hope wrestling gods put Sheffer and Johnson on opposite sides of the bracket. Nothing's a given, surprises always happen at state, but those two shouldn't meet up anywhere besides under the spot light. 

Agreed!

So Seed the State Tournament and not just for these two but to be fair and reasonable for all.

52 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

I'm sure it will happen on Saturday morning , one will get 1st and one will get 3rd . When they both probably should of been state champs . 

43 minutes ago, Wky said:

I'm sure it will happen on Saturday morning , one will get 1st and one will get 3rd . When they both probably should of been state champs . 

It wouldn't be the first, won't be the last

16 minutes ago, DrBaker said:

Johnson might not be medically cleared to wrestle. His balls won't fit into a singlet. 

John Hardin will have to get the new fight shorts just because of him!

• Upvote 4

On 2/2/2017 at 3:33 PM, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Region 3 with only 4 projected placers as a whole is shocking. 120 is a mess. From round 2 on there will be some intense matches.

Fern Creek having a down year by their standards is bad for region 3. Also off the top of my head Fern Creek graduated one state champion and another Region 3 returning placer is ineligible. 

26 minutes ago, 385 said:

Fern Creek having a down year by their standards is bad for region 3. Also off the top of my head Fern Creek graduated one state champion and another Region 3 returning placer is ineligible. 

Indeed :)

Ferncreek may not have the talent that our team had back in 2015 or anywhere close to it, but they are young with guys that have only been wrestling a couple of years, and some train off and on when they want to. With that being said, coach Hitchings is one of a kind. A coaching legend. Kudos to that man for giving so much back to the sport and trying to turn chicken $hit into chicken soup. Ill be rooting for them no matter what their predicted because as i havr said before PREDICTIONS DONT MEAN JACK SH&&

Adding onto that doesn't help the fact that cambron is no longer wrestling,  he would have been the top  dog at 145

On 2/7/2017 at 4:42 PM, TECHnWIN said:

Adding onto that doesn't help the fact that cambron is no longer wrestling,  he would have been the top  dog at 145

behind Roberts, Hanson, Henley and Oxford

• Upvote 3