Sign in to follow this  
NewbieFan

Region 6 rankings/ discussion

I saw the region 1 and 2 rankings, was looking to start some chatter about region 6 with regionals less than two weeks away. Me personally am excited to watch 138, I feel Mardis, Nixon, Holub, Boyd and Holden all have an equal chance to walk away with a region title given who ever brings their A game that weekend

I was mostly trying to just get discussion going about region 6 matchups, favorites to win, etc. I shouldn't have put rankings in the title, just meant for good discussion. Sorry for the confusion

Don't forget Coovert from Boone County, who won the conference at 138 or Murrer from Cov Cath. All told, there could be 3 very solid kids that miss state this year from 138.

No science or advanced math here.  Just lifted the top 4  in Region 6 from  Ranger's state rankings.  Some weight classes have less than 4 ranked, so feel free to add in.

106-- 1.  Brenden Pye, Scott  2. Isaiah Macaraniag,WV  3. Migdoel Ocasio ,SK  4.Joey Delong,Dixie

113--  1. Trevor Frietsch, SK  2. Shay Horton, Ryle  3. Tristan Spalding, WV  4. ??

120-- 1. Brady Wells, CC  2. Blake Roth, WV  3.  Seth Lutes, Scott  4. Mikey Whisner, SK

126--  1. Ryan Moore, WV  2. Tanner Yenter, CC  3. Layne Seibert, Scott  4. Lonnie Usleaman, Newport

132--  1. Dante Castellano, SK  2. Travis Coovert, Boone  3. Diontae Rone, Holmes  4. Daulton Meyer, WV

138--  1. Salim Mardis, SK  2. Austin Nixon, Dixie  3. Zach Holub, Cooper, 4. Bryan Holden, CC

145--  1. Cody Roland, Scott  2.  Noah Duke, Ryle  3. Spencer Carpenter, SK  4. Drevon Jones, Newport

152--  1.  Cody Huston, Cooper  2. Aaron Teipe, WV  

160--  1. Mason Smith, WV  2. Logan Osborne, Newport  3. Jared Kelsey, Scott  4. James Barrie, Dixie

170--  1. Casey Cornett, SK  2. Braden Mulcahy, WV  3. Kaleb Campbell, Cooper  4. Jack Cunningham, Scott

182--  1. Roy Bowers, Dixie  2.  Elijah Jackson, SK  3. Jacob Vollbrecht, Ryle  4. William Lake, Cooper

195--  1. Gerald Seeney, Scott  2. Cody Lonkard, Ryle  3. Daylan Bailey, Cooper

220--  1.  Jacob Peters, Dixie  2.  Nathan Justice, Scott  3. Garret McElroy, WV

285--  1.  Hunter Ruber, WV  2. Kairus Washington, Dixie,  3. Dalton Holliday, SK  4. Noah Wolf, Cooper

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GranbyMaster said:

Didn't Austin Nixon of Dixie Heights beat Salim Mardis from Simon Kenton? Don't you think that he would be the favorite to win?

Again, this is just me pulling out all the Region 6 kids in Ranger's rankings.  But to answer your question, I don't see in track where Nixon has wrestled Mardis this year.  It's tougher to do rankings if Track isn't up to date.

6 hours ago, JCB0577 said:

Should add Belk at 132.  He placed 2nd in conference.   Depends on where Brossert goes.  He is a top 4 kid in both 126 or 132.  

126 and 132 look a lot different right now than they did at conference.  None of the top 4 guys currently at 126, wrestled the NKAC at 126.  And those that did wrestle at 126, only 1 is even ranked, and that's Wells who is now at 120.  Of the guys that are ranked at 126, 3 are in the top 10.  Moore and Yenter are ranked  1 and 2 in the State and are potential if not probably finalists and weren't at Conference, and Seibert is a top 10 kid and potential state placer and wrestled 132 at conference.  And Uselaman is no slouch and has been to State before.  126 is loaded.

132 looks a litle better, alhough Castellano (who didn't wrestle conference) is a returning state placer (3rd) and 2 of the other 3 have dropped from wrestling 138 at Conference. Coovert from Boone won conference at 138, and Rone and Meyer are pretty tough too. Belk would be giving up a lot of size.

I like Belk...been watching him in MS for a few years, but those classes (especially 126) are going to be really hard for him to even medal in, let alone finish top 2.  He's going to make some noise at the HS level (along with more than a few others on that Raider MS team) in the next year or two....it would be a great story though if it happened this year.

Also at 138 we have Boyd from Conner. He has had some big wins this year, including a win over Mardis (SK) and is also a returning State qualifier. I have to agree with the earlier post, 138 is going to be a grind for anyone that wins it, very deep class here in NKY.

• Upvote 1

And at 106, that is a pretty legit top 4 kids, all top 11 in the state. Is there anyone else that could compete with them at regions? And that could be wild to have the 4 region placers at 106 all go on to place at state.

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 7:42 AM, rjs4470 said:

126 and 132 look a lot different right now than they did at conference.  None of the top 4 guys currently at 126, wrestled the NKAC at 126.  And those that did wrestle at 126, only 1 is even ranked, and that's Wells who is now at 120.  Of the guys that are ranked at 126, 3 are in the top 10.  Moore and Yenter are ranked  1 and 2 in the State and are potential if not probably finalists and weren't at Conference, and Seibert is a top 10 kid and potential state placer and wrestled 132 at conference.  And Uselaman is no slouch and has been to State before.  126 is loaded.

132 looks a litle better, alhough Castellano (who didn't wrestle conference) is a returning state placer (3rd) and 2 of the other 3 have dropped from wrestling 138 at Conference. Coovert from Boone won conference at 138, and Rone and Meyer are pretty tough too. Belk would be giving up a lot of size.

I like Belk...been watching him in MS for a few years, but those classes (especially 126) are going to be really hard for him to even medal in, let alone finish top 2.  He's going to make some noise at the HS level (along with more than a few others on that Raider MS team) in the next year or two....it would be a great story though if it happened this year.

I checked track and brossart is now at 126 and if im not mistaken him and seibert were in the same bracket at conference and brossart won that bracket at 132 ... and belk is a stud i will also be excited to see noah duke this year he could make the podium this year if nothes a year away... but nonetheless ryle has some super studs coming up