Sign in to follow this  
jnv858

1st Annual Blugrass Youth State Duals

Great day of wrestling today as we had what was probably our first Bluegrass Youth State Dual hosted by John Hardin Bulldogs. Congratulations to Maritime Wrestling for going undefeated on the day and congrats to Jayden Raney of Maritime for being selected MOW, well deserved!

1st Place - Maritime Wrestling
2nd Place - River City Gold
3rd Place - Anderson County
4th Place - South Oldham
5th Place - Scott County Black
6th Place - Walton Verona
7th Place - MTS (Moore)
8th Place - John Hardin
9th Place - River City Green
10th Place - North Oldham
11th Place - Taylor County
12th Place - Kentucky Stars Wrestling Academy
13th Place - ALL STARS
14th Place - Scott County Red
1st-4th
River City Gold defeated Anderson County 57-21.
Maritime Wrestling defeated South Oldham 55-18.
River City Gold defeated South Oldham 60-21.
Maritime Wrestling defeated Anderson County 59-30.
Maritime Wrestling defeated River City Gold 58-27.
Anderson County defeated South Oldham 48-33.

5th-8th
Walton Verona defeated MTS (Moore) 43-27.
Scott County Black defeated John Hardin 48-30.
Scott County Black defeated MTS (Moore) 42-22.
Walton Verona defeated John Hardin 39-37.
MTS (Moore) defeated John Hardin 42-27.
Scott County Black defeated Walton Verona 44-21.

3 hours ago, wrestlef@n said:

Based on the teams that attended who was the best wrestler for each weight?

Brennen East of Walton Verona went 5-0 (All by Fall)

Barret Wells of River City Gold went 5-0

Xavier Bottoms of River City Green went 5-0

Shayne Stilts of MTS (Moore) went 6-0

Steven Brown of Kentucky Stars Wrestling Academy went 6-0

Jayden Raney of Maritime Wrestling went 5-0 (All by Fall)

Reese Mcgill of South Oldham went 6-0

Sophie Anderson of Walton Verona went 5-0 (All by Fall)

Hunter Schimming of Walton Verona went 5-0

Jordyn Raney of Maritime Wrestling went 5-0

These two never met at the dual but my money would be on Raney after watching him wrestle

James Barragen of Maritime Wrestling went 5-0

Jack James of Maritime Wrestling went 5-0

Cam Stahley of Kentucky Stars Wrestling Academy went 4-0

Joshua Strayer of Anderson County went 5-0 (All by Fall)

Paxton Aldridge of Kentucky Stars Wrestling Academy went 6-0

Tucker Roth of River City Gold went 4-0

Luke Hyden of Walton Verona went 4-0

Gus Marble of River City Gold went 5-0

HWT
Caleb Burt of River City Green went 6-0

Dereyon Harris of John Hardin went 6-0

7 hours ago, westKYwrestling said:

Isn't cam the 90 pounder from Tennessee?

Possibly, Kentucky Stars Wrestling Academy did have a wrestler in their club that lived just across the border in Clarksville. His parents are probably stationed at Ft. Campbell. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jnv858 said:

Brennen East of Walton Verona went 5-0 (All by Fall)

Barret Wells of River City Gold went 5-0

Xavier Bottoms of River City Green went 5-0

Shayne Stilts of MTS (Moore) went 6-0

Steven Brown of Kentucky Stars Wrestling Academy went 6-0

Jayden Raney of Maritime Wrestling went 5-0 (All by Fall)

Reese Mcgill of South Oldham went 6-0

Sophie Anderson of Walton Verona went 5-0 (All by Fall)

Hunter Schimming of Walton Verona went 5-0

Jordyn Raney of Maritime Wrestling went 5-0

These two never met at the dual but my money would be on Raney after watching him wrestle

James Barragen of Maritime Wrestling went 5-0

Jack James of Maritime Wrestling went 5-0

Cam Stahley of Kentucky Stars Wrestling Academy went 4-0

Joshua Strayer of Anderson County went 5-0 (All by Fall)

Paxton Aldridge of Kentucky Stars Wrestling Academy went 6-0

Tucker Roth of River City Gold went 4-0

Luke Hyden of Walton Verona went 4-0

Gus Marble of River City Gold went 5-0

HWT

Thanks! Looks like a good lineup for an elite dual team possibly?

1 hour ago, wrestlef@n said:

Thanks! Looks like a good lineup for an elite dual team possibly?

Oh yeah...good thinking..probably not bad idea. Keeping in mind all the teams were K-5th. 

Stahley kid is a really gifted wrestler but IMO he shouldn't have been allowed to wrestle at Kentucky Youth State Duals.  His profile on Track shows him from Clarksville, TN with most of his matches in TN.  Know it could be a place of residence matter (if his family stationed at Ft Campbell) though.

You would get better picture by going on track and looking at Weight Results to see who actually won matches. For example the HWT division. Maritime literally had a man child wrestling 

HWT Results
HWT - Caleb Burt (River City Green) over Samuel Garrison (Anderson County) Fall 2:35
HWT - Caleb Burt (River City Green) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf 
HWT - Caleb Burt (River City Green) over Maxwell Harrington (North Oldham) Fall 1:00

HWT - Dereyon Harris (John Hardin) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf 

Uriah Virzi of Maritime Wrestling went 5-0
HWT - Uriah Virzi (Maritime Wrestling) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf 
HWT - Uriah Virzi (Maritime Wrestling) over Carter Guillaume (River City Gold) Fall 0:34

Carter Guillaume of River City Gold went 4-1
HWT - Carter Guillaume (River City Gold) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf 
HWT - Uriah Virzi (Maritime Wrestling) over Carter Guillaume (River City Gold) Fall 0:34
HWT - Carter Guillaume (River City Gold) over Maxwell Harrington (North Oldham) Fall 0:21
HWT - Carter Guillaume (River City Gold) over Samuel Garrison (Anderson County) Fall 1:56
HWT - Carter Guillaume (River City Gold) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf 

Maxwell Harrington of North Oldham went 3-2
HWT - Maxwell Harrington (North Oldham) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf 
HWT - Carter Guillaume (River City Gold) over Maxwell Harrington (North Oldham) Fall 0:21
HWT - Caleb Burt (River City Green) over Maxwell Harrington (North Oldham) Fall 1:00

Samuel Garrison of Anderson County went 3-2
HWT - Caleb Burt (River City Green) over Samuel Garrison (Anderson County) Fall 2:35
HWT - Samuel Garrison (Anderson County) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf 
HWT - Carter Guillaume (River City Gold) over Samuel Garrison (Anderson County) Fall 1:56

18 minutes ago, rdc517 said:

Stahley kid is a really gifted wrestler but IMO he shouldn't have been allowed to wrestle at Kentucky Youth State Duals.  His profile on Track shows him from Clarksville, TN with most of his matches in TN.  Know it could be a place of residence matter (if his family stationed at Ft Campbell) though.

The tournament flyer mentions no residency requirements.

8 minutes ago, jnv858 said:

He was a big boy! 

Yet he only had one match all day and after seeing that match he would clearly out match any wrestlers in that division. I know the flyer said K-5 so is it possible he was older than the other kids but in the 5th grade? 

Understand.  Realize this was first year for event.  Maybe residency requirement area for improvement for next year.  Kind of defeats purpose of it being for Kentucky wrestlers.  Otherwise could have northern KY teams add a few ringers from Cincy to roster, or western KY teams add kids from Illinois, etc. just for the purpose of winning State Duals title.  Not saying those programs would ever do that.

Sounds like your state duals was a big success!  In Indiana the Elementary Team State Duals has become a destination event for clubs.  We didn't start out with 14 teams though.  Kudos to you all.  I think ours started with 8 teams originally.  The duals have become so popular with clubs that we went to a class system this year.  Large schools and small schools.

We had 16 teams represented by large schools and 7 represented by small schools.

Ours is K-6th (we allowed pre-K this year for the first time/hard to get those 40 lbers).

We allow 23 kids per team with 17 weight classes.

All kids must be from the school district of the club with exception to home schooled kids that live in the district or wrestlers that attend a private school but live within the district.

We essentially have 3 sizes of schools involved in wrestling in Indiana. 1A, 2A, and 3A.

For the Elem Team State meet we allow 3A schools 2 wildcards (kids outside of the club/district), 2A schools 3 wildcards, and 1A schools 4 wild cards.

We do a parade of teams before the national anthem.  Some clubs make banners or coat of arms.  Its really cool!

Personally I have seen tremendous growth in my wrestlers as they get competition early in the season.  My kids have about 20 matches in before the individual season starts.

Glad to hear that you guys had a successful tournament!

Keep growing wrestling in your state!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, rdc517 said:

Understand.  Realize this was first year for event.  Maybe residency requirement area for improvement for next year.  Kind of defeats purpose of it being for Kentucky wrestlers.  Otherwise could have northern KY teams add a few ringers from Cincy to roster, or western KY teams add kids from Illinois, etc. just for the purpose of winning State Duals title.  Not saying those programs would ever do that.

It was a GREAT 1st year event! I loved introducing the kids to the team aspect of wrestling. They are so used to it being individual competition and as a parent it was fun to cheer whole team on. 

• Upvote 1

This may be for a different post but I think it would be good to have a disclaimer for the youth State events only (Duals and Individual), that if a wrestler has participated in 60% or more of his/her matches at MS level tourneys then he/she is ineligible for youth State events.  Understand the top 6 placer at MS State caveat.  There are points of discussion to be made for or against this viewpoint.   To me just a way to level the mat for kids who aren't yet ready for MS level competition and for those who are MS level/caliber.

4 minutes ago, carrir said:

It was a GREAT 1st year event! I loved introducing the kids to the team aspect of wrestling. They are so used to it being individual competition and as a parent it was fun to cheer whole team on. 

Totally agree

7 minutes ago, rdc517 said:

This may be for a different post but I think it would be good to have a disclaimer for the youth State events only (Duals and Individual), that if a wrestler has participated in 60% or more of his/her matches at MS level tourneys then he/she is ineligible for youth State events.  Understand the top 6 placer at MS State caveat.  There are points of discussion to be made for or against this viewpoint.   To me just a way to level the mat for kids who aren't yet ready for MS level competition and for those who are MS level/caliber.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/82ef613fd9ab9a8878252750075c7635?AccessKeyId=0CF9975BFCD43F3731F8&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Youth State has residency requirements.

25 minutes ago, SeymourOwlsWrestling said:

Sounds like your state duals was a big success!  In Indiana the Elementary Team State Duals has become a destination event for clubs.  We didn't start out with 14 teams though.  Kudos to you all.  I think ours started with 8 teams originally.  The duals have become so popular with clubs that we went to a class system this year.  Large schools and small schools.

We had 16 teams represented by large schools and 7 represented by small schools.

Ours is K-6th (we allowed pre-K this year for the first time/hard to get those 40 lbers).

We allow 23 kids per team with 17 weight classes.

All kids must be from the school district of the club with exception to home schooled kids that live in the district or wrestlers that attend a private school but live within the district.

We essentially have 3 sizes of schools involved in wrestling in Indiana. 1A, 2A, and 3A.

For the Elem Team State meet we allow 3A schools 2 wildcards (kids outside of the club/district), 2A schools 3 wildcards, and 1A schools 4 wild cards.

We do a parade of teams before the national anthem.  Some clubs make banners or coat of arms.  Its really cool!

Personally I have seen tremendous growth in my wrestlers as they get competition early in the season.  My kids have about 20 matches in before the individual season starts.

Glad to hear that you guys had a successful tournament!

Keep growing wrestling in your state!

After talking to you about this at the Purler Camp you all hosted it became a goal for this year and continue to grow on...appreciate the information.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, carrir said:

Yet he only had one match all day and after seeing that match he would clearly out match any wrestlers in that division. I know the flyer said K-5 so is it possible he was older than the other kids but in the 5th grade? 

I spoke to the Scott Raney from Maritime inquiring about him and Scott assured me he is a fifth grader just a freak of nature and I have no reason to ever question Scott. Because of his size and age they have a hard time finding him matches through out the year, when you look at him you would ask if he drove himself to the tournament but when you watch him interact with other kids and his teammates he acts like 11 y.o. / 5th grader. He could of definitely been older but I didn't ask teams to provide birth certificates for the event BUT maybe we add that next year just as we did for State this year. 

39 minutes ago, rdc517 said:

High School doesn't have a residency requirement.  No sports do at the KHSAA level. For what its worth. 

11 minutes ago, wrestlef@n said:

Not questioning the residency requirements.  I'll put my point another way.  The top 6 placers at MS State cannot participate at Youth State (per flyer).  No argument there.  However, for the other MS State participants who do not place in top 6, those hammers should not be allowed to wrestle in the Youth State tourney (regardless of age) UNLESS they have participated in less than 60% of MS matches/events.  Since most MS tourneys are on Track, this could be verified.  To me would keep competitive level at Youth State very close to what is seen at youth tourneys throughout season.

26 minutes ago, rdc517 said:

Question back to you.  Who tracks that?