Sign in to follow this  
coachteater

Helpful state duals info

4 hours ago, Shady-Shady-Shady said:

$10 admission,  but I believe they are doing a family price. Not sure that cost. Here are brackets with mat assignments and a parking chart. They will wrestle in 2 places, the gym and wellness center. You can see which on the brackets.

* note 1 correction - the bottom two semi-finals are in hwc, not gym as it says. The mat locations are correct though. 

2017-01-27 10.09.44.png

Screenshot_2017-01-27-10-06-56.png

Screenshot_2017-01-27-10-06-34.png

7 minutes ago, Granby said:

Sorry can't see on the bracket which division is in which location.

Am I missing it? 

Under mat # you will see gym or hwc. Mat 1 and 2 are in gym. 3-8 in hwc.

If you click on the bracket it will show the location under each pool. Very disappointing to find out that we will be at 2 different locations and will be moved around at different points during the day. That's a pain for all involved! Why in the world are we at a location that can't have everyone under one roof? Ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Granby said:

Its almost impossible to find somewhere that you can put 8 mats down that (a) Is in location somewhat central(b) Doesn't cost a fortune. After much talk it was decided this was the best option.  The pain of two gyms is the compromise we've had to make to accommodate having them in one location. 

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful to Lindsey Wilson for hosting. Just don't understand why we would have it somewhere that can't hold everything under one roof. 

6 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful to Lindsey Wilson for hosting. Just don't understand why we would have it somewhere that can't hold everything under one roof. 

Trust me, I personal spend hrs on end researching facilities all over ky trying to find a space that would work, it just isn't as easy as you think. There are few places that can hold 8 mats and the spectators.  Those either are expensive or far away like union co

Thanks Coach. 

I understand it now. Caveat to all attending, unless something has changed for this event, the Wellness Center didn't have any bleachers last time I was down there.

At least not large bleachers but the small aluminum bleachers you would find at a little league baseball field. 

During Team Kentucky practices, they were hosting large volleyball tournaments and parents and spectators were standing against the walls.

Not trying to start anything here, for like I said I do not know the setup, but can you confirm if they have installed some bleachers in the Wellness Center or should we bring fold-up chairs?  Crowding around the mat in a fold-up chair is fine by me. Right by the action!!!

I really do appreciate the work and time that you and whoever else put into this. So do you think that we will go back to having the State Duals at 2 separate locations? I like the idea of having the big schools and small schools together, but I don't like this set up. Do we really need 8 mats? Couldn't 6 mats work since there is only 12 teams per class. Have small schools on mats 1-3 and big schools on mats 4-6. Small school fans on one side, big school on the other. Championship matches run simultaneously on the center mats. We could have a venue rocking!! Not sure what the cost of any of these facilities would be, but I would much rather spend more out of the budget and put on a heck of a show under one roof, then to try to penny pinch and take what we can get. I wouldn't care if this event didn't make a dime. As long as you break even, you haven't lost a thing. Are we doing it to make money, or are we doing it for the kids? 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Granby said:

Thanks Coach. 

I understand it now. Caveat to all attending, unless something has changed for this event, the Wellness Center didn't have any bleachers last time I was down there.

At least not large bleachers but the small aluminum bleachers you would find at a little league baseball field. 

During Team Kentucky practices, they were hosting large volleyball tournaments and parents and spectators were standing against the walls.

Not trying to start anything here, for like I said I do not know the setup, but can you confirm if they have installed some bleachers in the Wellness Center or should we bring fold-up chairs?  Crowding around the mat in a fold-up chair is fine by me. Right by the action!!!

Is this for real!!! Possibly no seating? This has to be a joke right??????  Plus $10 to get in and I may have to stand. Please validate they will have seating. If not please ley us know so we can bring our own chairs at least. Thanks in advance.

30 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

I really do appreciate the work and time that you and whoever else put into this. So do you think that we will go back to having the State Duals at 2 separate locations? I like the idea of having the big schools and small schools together, but I don't like this set up. Do we really need 8 mats? Couldn't 6 mats work since there is only 12 teams per class. Have small schools on mats 1-3 and big schools on mats 4-6. Small school fans on one side, big school on the other. Championship matches run simultaneously on the center mats. We could have a venue rocking!! Not sure what the cost of any of these facilities would be, but I would much rather spend more out of the budget and put on a heck of a show under one roof, then to try to penny pinch and take what we can get. I wouldn't care if this event didn't make a dime. As long as you break even, you haven't lost a thing. Are we doing it to make money, or are we doing it for the kids? 

If you'll notice, both duals will be at the same time already. With the number of teams and the length of quality duals, 6 mats wouldn't work. And I think the facilities that are what your thinkING are out of budget. We aren't trying to penny pinch, but at same time you can't lose money, like you said. Just working hard to do the best we can with options we have. Always going to be compromise 

15 minutes ago, Shady-Shady-Shady said:

Is this for real!!! Possibly no seating? This has to be a joke right??????  Plus $10 to get in and I may have to stand. Please validate they will have seating. If not please ley us know so we can bring our own chairs at least. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, for like I said, I didn't want to get anyone mad and I appreciate Lindsay willing to host, I would have just felt bad knowing what I saw and not sharing. Kids may have grandparents attending and I would have felt bad not asking for everyone. 

Ever since I found out the venues I had planned on bringing a folding chairs just in case. This old body wouldn't do to well standing for 8-10-12 hours.

We (X) wrestled Union two years ago in Large vs. Small School after it was all said and done. We got there at 9:00 AM and left at about 10:00 PM!!!!! Good times but I was up in the stands doing nothing but watching and I was beat. LOL. 

The gym is a gym, so your good there. Just wanted to find out about seating in the Wellness Center. 

Hopefully Coach can let us know so everyone can be prepared.  

6 minutes ago, Granby said:

Sorry, for like I said, I didn't want to get anyone mad and I appreciate Lindsay willing to host, I would have just felt bad knowing what I saw and not sharing. Kids may have grandparents attending and I would have felt bad not asking for everyone. 

Ever since I found out the venues I had planned on bringing a folding chairs just in case. This old body wouldn't do to well standing for 8-10-12 hours.

We (X) wrestled Union two years ago in Large vs. Small School after it was all said and done. We got there at 9:00 AM and left at about 10:00 PM!!!!! Good times but I was up in the stands doing nothing but watching and I was beat. LOL. 

The gym is a gym, so your good there. Just wanted to find out about seating in the Wellness Center. 

Hopefully Coach can let us know so everyone can be prepared.  

No, I fully appreciate you letting us know. Not mad just surprised they would not foreworn the Teams that there may be limited seating.  We are in the same boat. I have Grandparents and Disabled Parents attending too. At least now I can also get them prepared just in case there is limited seating. I am sure it will all turn out just fine. Just may be a little cramped that's all. Do you know if concessions will be available by any chance? I may have to let them (Spectators) Know to bring something to eat too if the breaks are short.

Went last year and didn't have any problems with the seating.  I thought it was all good, little league bleachers or not.  I'm sure if they provided theater seating someone would find another reason to complain.  I'm glad to see big and small together with the chance to have a dual for True State Champion.   If I had to, I'd stand all day for that.  Go Union County!

• Upvote 1

Honestly, people do have a right to complain. Just because you don't have a problem with it, doesn't mean that others don't. And we haven't done ourselves a bit of good by doing the big school vs small school thing. All we have done is regressed right back to where we were before. Why have 2 different divisions and 2 different champions if we are going to have them face off at the end of the day. Just go back to the way it was, and have one division. Tired of always wanting to reinvent the wheel. The system we had before worked, we tried change, people "love" the change, but still want the same result. If you want a "true" state champ, don't have 2 divisions. Simple. But no, we want to include everyone and have venues that don't fit everyone, but at the end of the day get the same results as we did in the 90s. Insanity.

• Upvote 2

I like the two divisions though, and having been at a school with a lower population, can understand their perspective.  It's a good compromise for state duals because it throws the small schools a bone and allows the state tournament to stay mixed, especially since state is wrestled individually and state duals is competed for as a team.  However I do like the idea of having the two champs wrestle a dual just for fun, especially since it wouldn't violate the five match rule.

Agree about the right to complain, as long as it's kept civil then one should be able to express their opinion.  However to be taken seriously it's best to offer a solution when complaining, as you've done Nike Man.  After that though it's up to the directors to judge what's best for the majority.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Nike Man said:

Honestly, people do have a right to complain. Just because you don't have a problem with it, doesn't mean that others don't. And we haven't done ourselves a bit of good by doing the big school vs small school thing. 

Honestly, nobody said you can't complain. Complain all you want.  With that being said, others have the right to point it out as being petty when one's complaints are petty.   Attitude is everything.  This is a forum about Kentucky wrestling and we're griping about seating.   What about some of the great match ups we get to see tomorrow.  Is Trent going to drop tomorrow?  If so, what a match to look forward to.  What about the Deck v Mattingly rematch?  Will Deck make some adjustments and even the score?  We can go on with conversations like that but instead we want to talk about what one considers poor seating and refer to it as no seating.  That's petty.  If Bryce and Trent do wrestle do you think anyone is going to be in their seat anyway.  Heck no!  So complain away.  Or better yet, if you don't like it get involved and work to make it better.  Chances are though, no matter what you do someone will find something to complain about.  So if you don't get involved just sit back and enjoy the show.  Because I'm certain those that did set this up worked very hard to do so and much thanks to them for doing so.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm looking forward to the match ups as much as anyone else, but your pompous attitude is a little much. Tell a 70+ year old grandparent that they need to walk back and forth between venues about your seating. Tell the people with COPD or any other physical ailments about your seating. Get off your high horse. You get stay in one gym tomorrow. You really don't have a dog in this fight. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

I'm looking forward to the match ups as much as anyone else, but your pompous attitude is a little much. Tell a 70+ year old grandparent that they need to walk back and forth between venues about your seating. Tell the people with COPD or any other physical ailments about your seating. Get off your high horse. You get stay in one gym tomorrow. You really don't have a dog in this fight. 

Well thanks for that information.  Hadn't even looked at the mat assignments so I hadn't a clue where we were.  I think we've uncovered the real issue though.   Your just mad 6 teams have an opportunity to not have to move all day and your not one of them.  Hey dude, knock on wood but we can lose one and be in the same boat as you so don't go saying we're in the same building all day. As for your pompous comment. Yeah, whatever dude.  Enjoy the wrestling tomorrow........from your little league bleachers while we enjoy wrestling from these seats.  At least for the first 3 duals.  

Screenshot_20170127-190759.png

I propose that we have small school at Lindsey and big school at Campbellsville. Alternate locations each year and bring the small and big school winner to either LWC/CU (alternate that site as well) we could also add an LWC/CU dual to add icing on the cake.  Already spoken with Franky he is down, I'm sure coach ruff would be as well. I know Taylor county is in the process of building a new school/gym that may be capabale of holding enough mats. 

• Upvote 4