Wrestledad

Great Wrestling in Region 4 Scarred

Oh my, some great wrestling today in Region 4. A lot of great matches, a lot of great wins and a lot of broken hearts. Carr was great as always, as was Woodford and Anderson. The Johnson team had a lot of good wrestlers and dominated as a lot thought they would. We all sat in the bleachers enjoying the thing we all do every weekend. Taking in all the great competition and sportsmanship. Kids giving it their all and the coaches that show them the right way to compete in sports. All of us get used to seeing each other every weekend and know that we can count on each other to keep it fair and help our kids grow into honest adults. Then something happens that we are sometimes unsure of so we ask for clarification. We are watching our wrestler do their thing and notice that something might not be right. As a parent I am usually just watching mine compete. But there is this guy that is doing something odd. He is watching the match I am watching and cheering on the competitor. No, he is a coach and sitting between 2 mats coaching on the opposite side of the mat from the other coaches of his same team. Really. Middle school kids competing against each other and we have 40-50 year old fellows trying to get a little over on everyone. So, some other parents start watching what is going on and there is this gentleman walking back and forth on the opposite side from the scoring table. Every time one of his team competitors come to the table to check in he sits down on the opposite side of the mat like a parent would. Sometimes in between mats if 2 of his were wrestling. You had to watch to see what was going on. This guy ended up being a Johnson County coach that was helping coach from the opposite side of the mat while the other coaches were on the other side. Legal? I hope not, because I have never seen another team even try this in my 3 years of watching wrestling. Not the teams that we compete against here in central Kentucky. At one time Johnson had 2 matches going on side beside mats with a coach on each mat on the scorers side of the mat and a coach on the fans side of the mat. Really. It was brought to the attention of some of the official scorers and ended up being debated on the other side of the mat. When it was questioned at first to a single individual the gentlemen acted like he was being bothered. When the officials were brought in it became something else. By then some of the parents are watching what is happening with all of this and notice that the coaches go to the stands and talk to what you would think is a random guy. Well look at this the random guy suddenly has 10 kids and starts sitting on the opposite side coaching the Johnson team. Congratulation coaches, Your wrestlers were good enough and you guys decided to try to cheat. Let these guys do their thing and compete because Johnson has some really good wrestlers but what you guys did today has put a stain on it. And by the way, there are pictures to show what was going on.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I heard it was a great day of wrestling. I wished Blue was healthy and couldve wrestled in the postseason. He was having a outstanding year with the high school. Congrats to everyone from all teams that advanced to state and all the kids that wrestled their hearts out. Sorry we had to miss it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Wrestledad said:

Oh my, some great wrestling today in Region 4. A lot of great matches, a lot of great wins and a lot of broken hearts. Carr was great as always, as was Woodford and Anderson. The Johnson team had a lot of good wrestlers and dominated as a lot thought they would. We all sat in the bleachers enjoying the thing we all do every weekend. Taking in all the great competition and sportsmanship. Kids giving it their all and the coaches that show them the right way to compete in sports. All of us get used to seeing each other every weekend and know that we can count on each other to keep it fair and help our kids grow into honest adults. Then something happens that we are sometimes unsure of so we ask for clarification. We are watching our wrestler do their thing and notice that something might not be right. As a parent I am usually just watching mine compete. But there is this guy that is doing something odd. He is watching the match I am watching and cheering on the competitor. No, he is a coach and sitting between 2 mats coaching on the opposite side of the mat from the other coaches of his same team. Really. Middle school kids competing against each other and we have 40-50 year old fellows trying to get a little over on everyone. So, some other parents start watching what is going on and there is this gentleman walking back and forth on the opposite side from the scoring table. Every time one of his team competitors come to the table to check in he sits down on the opposite side of the mat like a parent would. Sometimes in between mats if 2 of his were wrestling. You had to watch to see what was going on. This guy ended up being a Johnson County coach that was helping coach from the opposite side of the mat while the other coaches were on the other side. Legal? I hope not, because I have never seen another team even try this in my 3 years of watching wrestling. Not the teams that we compete against here in central Kentucky. At one time Johnson had 2 matches going on side beside mats with a coach on each mat on the scorers side of the mat and a coach on the fans side of the mat. Really. It was brought to the attention of some of the official scorers and ended up being debated on the other side of the mat. When it was questioned at first to a single individual the gentlemen acted like he was being bothered. When the officials were brought in it became something else. By then some of the parents are watching what is happening with all of this and notice that the coaches go to the stands and talk to what you would think is a random guy. Well look at this the random guy suddenly has 10 kids and starts sitting on the opposite side coaching the Johnson team. Congratulation coaches, Your wrestlers were good enough and you guys decided to try to cheat. Let these guys do their thing and compete because Johnson has some really good wrestlers but what you guys did today has put a stain on it. And by the way, there are pictures to show what was going on.

Cheating really?I believe we had 20 kids that made it to regionals today. 3 mats going, and at times had kids wrestling on all 3 at the same time so at times you must sit where you can coach two mats. We are blessed to have this problem btw. If you are referring to being questioned for having 3 coaches on a mat coaching, that actually happened. It turns out that some folks thought the coach from mccreary was from JC, mystery solved, although our school colors are similar, he was from mccreary not JC. Our boys bust their tails and work So very hard. Don't let sour grapes on your part put a shadow on what JC boys did today. cheating is a big ole dirty word to be throwing around loosly. Remember this quote ( when you win say little, when you lose, say less. 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Wrestledad said:

So you've watched wrestling for three years and now your an expert on coaching  etiquette? I'm guessing you also voted for Hillary as well. I'm surprised you were even at the regionals yesterday, I figured you'd be marching with the rest of the ladies in DC. Your team got beat, get over it and quit crying.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

I did see some young ladies out on the mat at regionals yesterday who weren't marching, kick the snot out of some boys.  

• Upvote 1

So if I'm reading this correctly you're upset because there was an extra coach besides the two in the chair? Although apparently in reality it was a coach for a different school.

Anyway even if it was a coach for that school there is no rule saying a coach can't watch and shout from the sidelines just that you can only have two people in the corner. I may be reading what you're saying wrong but if what I've read is the case then I'm amazed this is the first time you've seen that, it's very common place. If anything I'm amazed you think it's normal for parents to sit matside. Because of issues that have happened in the past I greatly prefer for parents to sit in the stands.

Also I'm disappointed in the people bringing politics into this even if it was in a joking manner

• Upvote 1

It was just a question as to why there is a coaches corner and coaches from same team standing at opposite sides from each other coaching. Pretty sure i was told that coaches from same team had to stand on same side as each other .Other than that the tournament went well,but many people had a question about the same thing.

7 hours ago, She Beast said:

It was just a question as to why there is a coaches corner and coaches from same team standing at opposite sides from each other coaching. Pretty sure i was told that coaches from same team had to stand on same side as each other .Other than that the tournament went well,but many people had a question about the same thing.

Two coaches to a corner/spectators surrounding the mat is one of the least paid attention to/least enforced rules in wrestling here in KY at the middle school level.  I ask officials to clear people away almost every tourney.  And just about every team is guilty of doing it at some point in time, including my own.  Most of the time it's parents/spectators (including teammates).  Sometimes it's a coach passing by that gets caught up in a match and just isn't thinking.  The size gyms that we wrestle in also play a part.  All in all, it's not the reason wrestlers win or lose.  And officials will generally enforce the rule if there are issues or if asked to by an opposing coach.

• Upvote 1

I don't know about all that other stuff but I'll agree there was some good wrestling. Our small team (Jessamine) had 5 or so Podium places which we are proud of. We aren't huge but our boys just love to get out there and wrestle. I saw a lot of good sportsmanship but saw some bad to, our kids always will try to help other up and after they shake hands with the coach they will go to wrestler again to shake hands again but got cold shoulder quite a bit. All in all was great day of wrestling. One thing I overheard was kids out of weight class, I didn't understand that but is what it is. Congrats to all teams!!! Stay Humble and Wrestle On!!!!

1 hour ago, Trell9998 said:

I don't know about all that other stuff but I'll agree there was some good wrestling. Our small team (Jessamine) had 5 or so Podium places which we are proud of. We aren't huge but our boys just love to get out there and wrestle. I saw a lot of good sportsmanship but saw some bad to, our kids always will try to help other up and after they shake hands with the coach they will go to wrestler again to shake hands again but got cold shoulder quite a bit. All in all was great day of wrestling. One thing I overheard was kids out of weight class, I didn't understand that but is what it is. Congrats to all teams!!! Stay Humble and Wrestle On!!!!

Not on weight? Don't they weigh in? Not again?   

1 hour ago, Trell9998 said:

Don't listen to the crowd is one thing I have learned ! Everyone has to step on the scales the same day!    

So, it's mainly up to the tournament director on how strict these "2 coach rules" are to be enforced for the day. It's usually a non-issue in our meetings pre-event because due to the venue it would be impossible to enforce with any consistency. A lot of times in these youth scenarios it would be literally impossible to get the kids out of ear shot of extra coaches that have wrestling knowledge. The referee on particular mats may get people back off his mat if he wishes, but that's really his discretion and I know from experience that I would rather just deal with the extra noise than the stress of telling people to constantly get away from the mat. If announcements are being made to stay away/off the walls/away from the mats, in the stands, etc. then it is much easier, but we as officials aren't doing that and cannot really control the event in that manner. 

Obviously in dual meets/events it's much easier to maintain proper benches and mat etiquette but from experience at individual tournaments, especially at the youth level, what you are asking for is really hard to do and honestly kids have enough trouble listening to a coach or two on the side, let alone a third or fourth in adjacent corners..

If they are listening that well and being coached that well to a victory, it's rather safe to say that they would have won that particular match anyway........ 

• Upvote 1

On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 11:01 AM, That's two points said:

Every time somebody replies to this. Or bring up politics!   

This made me chuckle.Lol!

• Upvote 1