Sign in to follow this  
kyrj

Middle School/ Youth

Same reason rec league basketball, football & soccer is offered to these ages nationwide. Gives those not able or desiring to compete at a high level a way to participate in the sport. Think of youth as rec league. We have some middle schoolers that don't attend youth events because they get plenty of mat time as a middle schooler. We have others that aren't starters that are getting valuable mat time at youth tourneys. We also have some middle schoolers on the basketball team that are trying out wrestling via youth, since they can't join both middle school teams at once. All benefit the sport of wrestling. Another benefit is year round opportunities for kids to wrestle, they aren't just confined to the middle school season if they want more.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kyrj said:

If youth is now up to 14 years old , why do we still have Middle School and youth?

Because we're confused...

Youth is not a "rec" league, it's an age group. Youth and MS should be separated, just like MS and HS.

If MS needs an additional tournament for those beginners, we should copy HS and create a JV MS state tournament separate from youth. Let youth have their tournament.

I'm still surprised so many voted to include the MS group w/ the youth tournament. To me, it would be like including the HS JV scores to the MS tournament.  

Or like having 1000 kids at a youth State Tournament with multiple brackets per weight class in any given age group with no qualifiers and call the winner of every bracket a "State Champion"...??? Confused is spot on!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MLee said:

Because we're confused...

Youth is not a "rec" league, it's an age group. Youth and MS should be separated, just like MS and HS.

If MS needs an additional tournament for those beginners, we should copy HS and create a JV MS state tournament separate from youth. Let youth have their tournament.

I'm still surprised so many voted to include the MS group w/ the youth tournament. To me, it would be like including the HS JV scores to the MS tournament.  

I don't disagree that it would be great if Kentucky had the numbers to support a middle school JV state. Maybe we will in the future. The fact is that outside of teams like Ryle, Union and a few other big teams/clubs you know the numbers just aren't there. While it's not perfect, adding that "age group" to youth has allowed kids on the mat over the last two years that wouldn't have been there otherwise. How is that a negative? We've also made some ground by having kids that medal top 6 not being eligible for youth state. Gives more kids a chance to experience some success. Do you fault a middle school kid that wrestles high school most of the season for wrestling middle school district, region and state? How is this different? 

54 minutes ago, CoachC said:

Or like having 1000 kids at a youth State Tournament with multiple brackets per weight class in any given age group with no qualifiers and call the winner of every bracket a "State Champion"...??? Confused is spot on!!

So what is a solution that would grow and enhance the sport of wrestling in Kentucky? If you have a solution, it would be a great platform to run on for one of the opening KSWA board positions. Change and growth are good but they take people working together for solutions, not the unwilling complaining about the work that the willing are doing. I'm not saying you or anyone else is unwilling, just that solutions are what's needed. Not complaints. 

• Upvote 1

I like that they get another tournament. I just find it odd that we combined a MS "JV" group to our state's youth tournament.  I would rather us create a separate tournament altogether or (bare minimum) not include their team points w/ the youth.  It's no longer a youth tournament, but a youth/JV MS combo...huh?

And no, I have no issues w/ kids wrestling up at all. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MLee said:

I like that they get another tournament. I just find it odd that we combined a MS "JV" group to our state's youth tournament.  I would rather us create a separate tournament altogether or (bare minimum) not include their team points w/ the youth.  It's no longer a youth tournament, but a youth/JV MS combo...huh?

And no, I have no issues w/ kids wrestling up at all. 

I see what you mean on the points. It would make sense to not add the points from that division to the team score for youth. 

25 minutes ago, Bearcat said:

So what is a solution that would grow and enhance the sport of wrestling in Kentucky? If you have a solution, it would be a great platform to run on for one of the opening KSWA board positions. Change and growth are good but they take people working together for solutions, not the unwilling complaining about the work that the willing are doing. I'm not saying you or anyone else is unwilling, just that solutions are what's needed. Not complaints. 

Well...I have been to the meetings, I have made suggestions, as a matter of fact...I spent 2 hrs at last falls meeting listening to how we were going to score team points for the youth tournament. I made my points clear at that meeting. But...no one wants a TRUE youth state championship, they want this. And as for the confussion well it will begin around 6:00 on Friday February 3rd.

30 minutes ago, CoachC said:

Well...I have been to the meetings, I have made suggestions, as a matter of fact...I spent 2 hrs at last falls meeting listening to how we were going to score team points for the youth tournament. I made my points clear at that meeting. But...no one wants a TRUE youth state championship, they want this. And as for the confussion well it will begin around 6:00 on Friday February 3rd.

I attend the meetings as well and don't always agree with what is passed. I'm just saying that trolling the forum with sarcastic complaints doesn't help the situation. In fact, it makes people less likely to listen if you do have a good idea. 

Here's an example: I could jump on the State Duals post and point out that it makes no sense to hold state duals in a county that is closer to St. Louis than the Capitol of Kentucky but what would that accomplish 2 weeks before state duals? Nothing.

Instead I have to respect the fact that Union stepped up to take it and that is what was decided. If I don't want to go then that's my choice. Complaining on a forum wont improve anything. 

• Upvote 2

As a former board member I wanted to remind some of the confused. We did add the older age group to allow these kids to continue their season.  It was also voted to stop the Team trophys/points. This was never enforced. My point: who cares if its a youth,ms,jv tournament. 

Youth and middle school need to be separated, if you want the season to continue add a JV tournament or something of that nature. You are taking away from both levels when you make youth up to fourteen years of age. I understand that we are doing our best to get more kids involved in the sport but I do not think this is the right answer. I had athletes wrestle youth and middle both and I just think it needs to be separated somehow, not sure how but there has to be a better way.JMO.

My kid is 14 but this was his first year ever wrestling. We heard our county had a youth club so we let him wrestle to see if he really wanted too do it. Well he loves it and we already spent the $$ to let him wrestle with the youth club so he is finishing the youth season then concentrating on high school. Actually we have 2 that are 1st timers. You can't assume some kids have wrestled forever and ready for high school or middle school as we all know they are wrestlers that have been in sport for a while. A JV would be cool too, but age doesn't outweigh experience.

We had this issue the other night, a young lady in my kids weight class told her mom my son was 14 and her mom talked to officials and they didn't wrestle so we drove 45mins for our 2 wrestlers to wrestle each other 2 out of 3. The young lady is darn good too by the way.