coachteater

Youth state weigh in

According to the flyer, youth must weigh in for state either Friday or sat.

I was told this weekend that they could weigh in on sunday, is this true? 

I've emailed, but had no response 

7 hours ago, coachteater said:

According to the flyer, youth must weigh in for state either Friday or sat.

I was told this weekend that they could weigh in on sunday, is this true? 

I've emailed, but had no response 

Scott, who did you email cause I haven't seen that inquiry come to the board....shoot me an email at jnv858@gmail.com....No weigh-ins will be allowed Sunday. 

Just now, jnv858 said:

Scott, who did you email cause I haven't seen that inquiry come to the board....shoot me an email at jnv858@gmail.com....No weigh-ins will be allowed Sunday. 

Emailed tyler. No weigh ins sunday, but no remote sites? I can only think this will kill numbers in attendance.  Just being in lexington,  my parents aren't going to drive an hr one way to weigh in on Friday or sat, to wrestle on sunday. I can't imagine ones from further away. 

This probably needs to be addressed as well to more people, because I talked to people friday night that were to the understanding you could on sunday.  They were saying it would be like the Bluegrass one earlier that allowed it

6 hours ago, ctown714 said:

Been wondering the same thing down here in western ky, weighing in the day before is going to hurt my numbers for sure. 

Interesting take considering the western KY coaches were the one pushing this issue to have a weight in right before youth state tournament.  

6 hours ago, coachteater said:

Emailed tyler. No weigh ins sunday, but no remote sites? I can only think this will kill numbers in attendance.  Just being in lexington,  my parents aren't going to drive an hr one way to weigh in on Friday or sat, to wrestle on sunday. I can't imagine ones from further away. 

This probably needs to be addressed as well to more people, because I talked to people friday night that were to the understanding you could on sunday.  They were saying it would be like the Bluegrass one earlier that allowed it

We have had remote sites for weigh ins for years, and all that was heard was that they were not done within the rules and the weights were not accurate.  

Not sure why all the flack for going to a weigh in process more similar to what national tournaments do.  

I could see doing weigh ins the day before for those fortunate enough that can afford a nights stay or live close by. But I would think kids could also weigh in the morning of if need be like most tournaments. 

While the thread is going, I know that top 6 medal in a 9-16 man bracket and top 4 medal in the 1-8 man brackets. Has the state ever done or will there ever be a consideration for participation awards of some sort? I've experienced kids work their butts off all year and then not want to go to state because "you only wrestle a few times and then go home".

7 minutes ago, Mr. Matman said:

While the thread is going, I know that top 6 medal in a 9-16 man bracket and top 4 medal in the 1-8 man brackets. Has the state ever done or will there ever be a consideration for participation awards of some sort? I've experienced kids work their butts off all year and then not want to go to state because "you only wrestle a few times and then go home".

Thought about it no, but could it be done sure I guess, everyone willing to pay the increase in entry fee to cover those cost?

8 minutes ago, KSWA Staff said:

Thought about it no, but could it be done sure I guess, everyone willing to pay the increase in entry fee to cover those cost?

I'd be okay with it, but I'm only one guy.. There are plenty of areas that costs could be lowered to save for others. Our entry fees for state are already low compared to other state tournaments anyway. A few dollars spent on something that will attract more in the end is only going to be beneficial. 

2 hours ago, KSWA Staff said:

Not sure why all the flack for going to a weigh in process more similar to what national tournaments do.  

Because we are not talking about kids/parents/families that are all in when it comes to wrestling. Those that go to national tourneys usually are wrestling families.  

Once again stop thinking only about the elite and rich.  Take into consideration those without the means to do this. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Matman said:

Please tell me this a joke.

29 minutes ago, Alf said:

Please tell me this a joke.

No, not joking. I feel that if State were a tournament that a wrestler had to qualify for then participation awards would make more sense for the ones that don't place. Our awards are already unappealing. 

This tournament should have a qualifier to a single bracket per weight class per age group. The winner of that bracket is your state champion.the next 5 are your remaining placers. The rest go home qualifiers. Then it would be a state championship. Right now its just Kentucky State Open!! Giving everyone a medal would just be well...typical. 

9 hours ago, KSWA Staff said:

We have had remote sites for weigh ins for years, and all that was heard was that they were not done within the rules and the weights were not accurate.  

Flack comes because this is a huge inconvenience to families. You always should weigh the benefits when you do something,  and I feel the benefit of this is far overshadowed by the hurt it does.

Numbers will suffer for the event. But also we should do what we need to do to continue to build, this is a step back. 

I agree last yr didn't work, but it's because the own coach put weights in. You could easily do remote weigh ins across the state and have credible coaches report weights. Very frustrating because I don't think many coaches realize how hard it is to get parents to do things like this. 

It's hard to do at times, but you have to make it easy for parents, or they won't put the kids in it. It's an unfortunate reality.  If we want numbers to grow, we have to go out of the way to make it parent freindly

55 minutes ago, CoachC said:

This tournament should have a qualifier to a single bracket per weight class per age group. The winner of that bracket is your state champion.the next 5 are your remaining placers. The rest go home qualifiers. Then it would be a state championship. Right now its just Kentucky State Open!! Giving everyone a medal would just be well...typical.

I agree, but if it's going to be an event that needs to be qualified for the idea for the participation award then becomes an award that simply gives a kid the recognition of achieving that state qualifier status if they are unable to place. The USA weight classes, in my opinion, at the youth level are too spread out and encourage parents to force their kid to cut. An example would be a nine year old weighing 63 pounds and the options are 60 or 65.

In my opinion, The problem with doing same day weigh ins for almost a 1000 wrestlers is that it takes time to enter these into track or mat magic to create brackets. Then when creating brackets using the 10% and not having kids from the same team or region wrestle against each other the 1st round, you have to manually change these around. Their are so many senerios to take into consideration. If you want a true youth Championships, we need to follow the blueprint Ohio is using. Qualify kids in specific weight classes and have those weights entered by a referee or someone that won't cheat the weights. But even if you qualify these wrestlers, you will have less at state and they will still need to weigh in the morning of. Unfortantly we just don't have the numbers. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Matman said:

in my opinion, at the youth level are too spread out and encourage parents to force their kid to cut. An example would be a nine year old weighing 63 pounds and the options are 60 or 65.

Actually if you were to make the wt. classes further apart then you would have less wt. loss.  

When you make the wt. classes close together then some parents go well 5 lbs is not that much we can drop a wt. class.  It was proven at the high school level already. If you want to discourage wt. loss then use the high school rules. Use the wt management program the high schools use.  I am sure that the high schools would allow there elementary and middle school teams to use there team log in.  Maybe not use it like KY does but more like Ohio does.  find the lowest wt. class the kid can wrestle and not allow him to go any lower. No entering their weigh ins after each event. 

In my opinion the elementary and middle school kids should already be required to do this.  The younger the kid the more dangerous low body fat is to a kid. 

21 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

Because we are not talking about kids/parents/families that are all in when it comes to wrestling. Those that go to national tourneys usually are wrestling families.  

Once again stop thinking only about the elite and rich.  Take into consideration those without the means to do this. 

GOO...this was brought up last year at the spring meeting as an issue that needed to be corrected, ballots were sent out for review for the fall coaches meeting where 25 coaches voted and the current system of weigh-ins was voted in by 16 of those 25. The options were to either keep the Status Quo or have weigh-in/skin checks the two days prior. The information and the State flyer has been out since the Fall and here we are a month prior and now its being brought up as an issue. I can assure you its not about the elite and rich its in part about parents having kids cut weight to weigh in at their Regional Tournament two weeks prior to the tournament and they show up having gained everything they cut back and then we have huge disadvantages and to add to that there has been no skin checks done prior to these kids getting on the mat. I volunteered my time to serve on the KSWA board as one of the Youth VP's and I can promise you I want to see the sport grow, I am also completely open to thoughts, recommendations and solutions but those would also be nice to hear a little sooner than 30 days to the date of execution. I invite everybody to feel free to email me their thoughts, concerns, recommendations and/or recommended solutions for this topic or anything in general at jnv858@gmail.com.

Are you kidding me participation awards.  What ever happen to hard work and achieving what you earn.  I don't get a participation raise at work I get a raise for being good at what I do.  No disrespect but we are not helping are children achieve by participation awards.  We are telling them it's ok to just show up.  What ever happened to hard work receives reward.  Not all are great at this sport but they will receive reward in life if they stick with this sport.  Russ Helrickson once said at a camp I attended that his walk on's and guys who never started ,gave him more praise and probably accomplished more in life than his all Americans.  They were always thankful for the opportunity to be on a great team and became great leaders.  That's more important than any medal.

If you stick with this sport good or bad your children will reap great benefits.  I was not a wrestler but know many that have been and the percentages are greater than not that they have Perservered 

Why would this be a vote?  Coaches votes are determined by their needs not the needs of the whole. Whether they mean to vote that way or not.  

Out of those coaches that did vote how many were close to the state tourney? Meaning 45 minutes or less from the venue.  I would bet that most were close.  

Those that are 3+ hours out.  It probably does not matter to them either, because either way they are probably leaving the night before.  

I hear so many times "the coaches voted this", or "the coaches that did vote wanted this".  Why are the coaches voting anyway?  Is there not representatives for youth?  Should not these people be the ones making the choices?  If not why were they elected.  

These representatives should do what they think is best then reap or suffer the results.  Change if need be the next year, or vote in new reps.  

Do what you think is right. I am just giving my opinion. I believe that you will have less kids participating that are 1-2 hours away this year with a weigh in on Friday with no regional remote weigh in.  

My question to you goo is have you been to a Spring or Fall meeting for KWSA? The representatives for your "team" is the coaches that go to these. And as far as the members of the board for the KWSA, do you think that the 6 members of the board should be the only ones to vote on these issues? Us as coaches who actually care how things turn out for our kids, go to these and actually vote. This Friday, Saturday weigh in was brought up in the Spring Meeting and brought into actual law in the Fall meeting. I personally was one that voted against it and wanted remote weigh in to continue. Unfortunately, it passed. Do I believe it will continue like this after this year? I hope not. I see numerous issues coming up after this season for next season. But as the KWSA board members say year in and year out the first step to help solve these issues is attendance of the "coaches" at the off season meetings. Hopefully we could set up some type of actual conference call for those who can't be in attendance at the actual meeting place. 

Best of luck to all our wrestlers as our in season schedule comes to an end.

• Upvote 1

I’m not here to argue my stance on the suggestion of participation awards. That can go on and on, I’d rather not waste the time. Here is a scenario for you: A third grader has friends that talk about wrestling at school. This kid gets excited and wants to join. His parents are reluctant, but decide to let him give it a try. He’s a first year kid and gets beat on at every tournament. This kid attends state and falls short of placing. The season is over. The parents, not fully understanding the benefits of wrestling in the first place allow the kid to give up the sport since he didn’t enjoy it anyway. Children cannot even begin to comprehend the concept that you feel a participation award represents anyway. Wrestling is a very demanding sport, yes, and if you stick with it you have the opportunity to gain a lot from the sport. So a kid that wrestles 4 full matches in the state tournament, which should be the toughest youth tournament at the state level, but doesn’t place is one that didn’t work hard? You say you’ve never wrestled, go wrestle live for 3 minutes and then come back and tell me how easy it was. Again, these are children at the youth level. What is keeping these kids excited to come back and continue with their participation? I offered up a suggestion, and it was just that. All I ever hear about is numbers “we don’t have the numbers”. What is something you feel could be a solution to this problem? I myself am more concerned with competition. Great competition comes through years of experience in any particular sport. Keeping kids involved is ultimately what will lead to high level competition. Keeping involvement up is the “numbers” that everyone preaches about.

• Upvote 1