Sign in to follow this  
tcats

Distance for district

If you mean the host team lost money on the event that is easy to rectify.  After the receipts are counted then divide the loss by the teams entered and that is their entry fee. If your school is concerned about losing money then skip your turn to host it.  

If you skip the district tourney then those teams would probably enter another tourney that would cost them an entry fee anyway.  

Alignment needs to be by geography and a little about participation.  Don't make teams travel 2 hours out of their way to enter a district that needs it. 

The high school old districts and now regions have number problems also but its by geography and a little bit participation. 

4 minutes ago, KSWA Staff said:

Lets remember why KSWA went to the district format in the first place. 

1.  32 man brackets or bigger under the old regional format (each team got 2 wrestlers per weight class), as # of teams continued to grow, it became hard to have it as a one day event.  

2.  Gyms spaces not big enough to hold a 1 day - 32 man bracket tournament.  (name the places that it could be hosted in your region, then work the event around HS Basketball schedule and HS Wrestling Schedule)

3.  Due to the 2 wrestlers per weight class format, it was noted that several wrestlers were dropping inappropriate amount of weight to make lower weight classes so they could wrestle due to the kids on their specific roster.  

4.  Why should kids that practice all year with a team, not be given the chance to participate in the post season. 

To address #4- .....never mind. Here's your trophy.

2 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

If you mean the host team lost money on the event that is easy to rectify.  After the receipts are counted then divide the loss by the teams entered and that is their entry fee. If your school is concerned about losing money then skip your turn to host it.  

If you skip the district tourney then those teams would probably enter another tourney that would cost them an entry fee anyway.  

Alignment needs to be by geography and a little about participation.  Don't make teams travel 2 hours out of their way to enter a district that needs it. 

The high school old districts and now regions have number problems also but its by geography and a little bit participation. 

The distance thing I dont get.  If every school should get a chance to host districts, then on some years are you not going to travel further than others?  

5 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

To address #4- .....never mind. Here's your trophy.

I think I am missing your point or understanding it incorrectly.  How does allowing a kid to participate in an OPEN District Tournament giving them a participation trophy?

it comes down to the school not wanting kids to leave before 6 in the morning.  What I mean by travel is look at the average travel time for a team to travel to other schools in their district.  

Schools also have to pay bus drivers for the entire time they are gone not just while they are driving, plus fuel costs.  It may not seem much to some schools but it does to many schools. 

4 minutes ago, KSWA Staff said:

I think I am missing your point or understanding it incorrectly.  How does allowing a kid to participate in an OPEN District Tournament giving them a participation trophy?

I think this was said as sarcasm. 

It is about earning the opportunity. Have you ever had a high school freshman that wrestled throughout middle school come up to you and not understand why his teammate is wrestling in the regional tournament and he isn't? He is used to the mentality of everyone gets a chance. Every since youth wrestling, this is what we teach. When does the coddling stop? 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, grappler-of-old said:

it comes down to the school not wanting kids to leave before 6 in the morning.  What I mean by travel is look at the average travel time for a team to travel to other schools in their district.  

Schools also have to pay bus drivers for the entire time they are gone not just while they are driving, plus fuel costs.  It may not seem much to some schools but it does to many schools. 

That could be a valid point.  Our school doesnt provide travel for MS sports of any kind, so I wouldnt know.   Lets also remember though that only about 40% of the teams are school teams.  You take away the 4 school teams in our area that dont provide travel via bus and you the numbers are less.  However like I said, a rotation plan of District host elevates this. 

i think what we forget when talking and making decisions is that every parent/family is as supportive as we on this site are.  In the many many years that I have has some involvement in this great sport I know of many who's parents never saw them wrestle one match.  Probably more than you think.  Not to include those parents/families that could not afford to send their kids to events if not for the school.  

Some will say that they can find the money if they look, but for most of these type of parents/families it is easier to not allow their child to participate than go out and beg for money.  I'm not agreeing with this but it is the truth.  I would bet that at least 15% of middle school kids are in this category, probably a lot more. 

6 hours ago, Nike Man said:

It is about earning the opportunity. Have you ever had a high school freshman that wrestled throughout middle school come up to you and not understand why his teammate is wrestling in the regional tournament and he isn't? He is used to the mentality of everyone gets a chance. Every since youth wrestling, this is what we teach. When does the coddling stop? 

No.  I've never known of a freshman that didn't understand why he didn't get a chance to wrestle in the regional tourney, or even wrestle in very many tourneys.  Kids aren't stupid...they understand how high school wrestling works, especially if the HS and ms team work together closely as most do.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I hope we're not expecting a half-day, 100 participant tournament (or less) improve our #'s at the MS level....if so, we're in trouble.

8 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

This is closer to the point that I was asking about. I was just wandering if 3+ hour travel is an issue in all districts or just district 8. No matter where the tournament is hosted somebody is going to making a 3-4 hour trip, being there for the tournament and then 3-4 hour trip home.

I do not think doing a way with districts is good for the development of the sport. I do believe realignment should be looked at but that was not the intent of this thread but it has turned into a good conversation. 

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:09 PM, KSWA Staff said:

That could be a valid point.  Our school doesnt provide travel for MS sports of any kind, so I wouldnt know.   Lets also remember though that only about 40% of the teams are school teams.  You take away the 4 school teams in our area that dont provide travel via bus and you the numbers are less.  However like I said, a rotation plan of District host elevates this. 

Only 40% of the teams at the middle school level are school teams?

14 hours ago, tcats said:

Is there a district alignment map somewhere?

Updated list as of today.  Please act accordingly.  

2016-2017 Bylaw forms turn in by Dec 18, 2016              
Region 1     Region 2     Region 3     Region 4  
District 1 District 2   District 3 District 4   District 5 District 6   District 7 District 8
Caldwell Co Central Hardin   Fairdale North Oldham   Raiders Campbell Co   Anderson County Ashland
Calloway County Danville   River City     Conner Holmes   CWA Johnson County
Christrian County John Hardin   Shamrocks     Cooper Newport   EJ Hayes  Martin County
Eagle WC Larue County         NKY Saints Summit View   Franklin County Montgomery County
Fort Campbell           Walton  Twenhofel   Hammer Time WC Perry Co Central
Fulton Independent             Woodland   Madison County Wayne County
KY Stars WC                 Scott County  
McCracken County                 Wolverine WC  
Trigg County                 Woodford County  
Union County                    

2016-2017 Bylaw forms turn in late, pending late fee receipt            
District 1 District 2   District 3 District 4   District 5 District 6   District 7 District 8
Ohio County Meade County   Moore           Henry Clay McCreary County

2016-2017 Bylaw forms not turned in                
Daviess County Bardstown WC   Doss East Oldham         Bourbon County Harrison County
Hopkinsville Barren County   Fern Creek Oldham         Tates Creek  
Paducah Tillman Boyle County   Male South Oldham            
Purchase Pounders Bullitt East                  
University Heights Nelson County   Spencer County              
  North Hardin   Relentless WC              
  Taylor County                

22 hours ago, kyrj said:

Only 40% of the teams at the middle school level are school teams?

This may be true but many of those "club" teams are only club teams so they can add a few kids from outside the main middle school they represent. 

30 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

This may be true but many of those "club" teams are only club teams so they can add a few kids from outside the main middle school they represent. 

Maybe, majority of them are club teams due to the school district in the area they are in, do not sponsor wrestling, hence being a club team is the only option. (See Boone County) for an example. 

So they really are a middle school team just not backed by the middle school they represent. 

I have never truly understood the problem.  Middle school teams should be covered under the high school team.  How is the middle school basketball, and football teams handled? 

That is another argument, which does not change the discussion about distance of districts. 

13 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

So they really are a middle school team just not backed by the middle school they represent. 

I have never truly understood the problem.  Middle school teams should be covered under the high school team.  How is the middle school basketball, and football teams handled? 

That is another argument, which does not change the discussion about distance of districts. 

Football and basketball are sports sponsored by the school district, in most cases wrestling is not.  

There is nothing with the High School or KHSAA that covers anything middle school sports wise. 

I could be wrong but I think the majority of the teams in district 8 are school sponsored teams, not sure though. District travel can be an issue at times, but with the rotation of the district tournament I think it evens out a little.

I have had this argument with coach Smith on this.  Years ago when all this started the school I was involved with told me that the middle school is covered under the high school team.  The old AD and the new AD today still say this is true today. 

2 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

I have had this argument with coach Smith on this.  Years ago when all this started the school I was involved with told me that the middle school is covered under the high school team.  The old AD and the new AD today still say this is true today. 

We are a school sponsored team , my AD assured me we are covered.

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, grappler-of-old said:

in Louisville many of the high schools don't have a single middle school associated with them.  There are actually very few that do.  For instance, Fern Creek has several middle schools that feed into the high school, like Ramsey, Newburg and others.  While others like Moore have a middle school and a high school on the same campus.  Some high schools that have wrestling teams, do not have feeder programs either.  That is why you have kids that grow up with a club team like Fern Creek never planning on going to the high school,  end up going to Male or one of the private schools. Also several club teams have wrestlers from some of the catholic grade schools around town.  I guess I'm just saying that the high schools can't always cover the middle school teams.