Wrestledad

Consistency

First of all congratulations for a great tournament at Walton-Verona. Top notch competition was definitely present. Everyone got to see some really great matches with some kids that give their hearts everyday. Which leads me to my point. Our kids give their all everyday for a sport that they love so much. The pain, the sacrifice, the long days spent learning all the things for offense and defense. And the coaches who give their all by giving up family time and relaxation time and weekends for several months to teach our kids about a sport that they also love. Kudos coaches! But it seems that there is an issue with what will be called and when it will be called. I have a wrestler that had done her best to get down to a lower weight for this competition. All the wrestling families out their know what our kids go through for this. She made weight and was ready for her chance to show what she could do win or lose. It wasn't to be because of one official who brought it upon himself to make a call that had not been made all year. All the tournaments, weigh ins, match inspections. This call caught everyone off guard. Females wear under shirts for obvious reasons and I am sure that there are bylaws for this somewhere. The wrestler in question was called for loose sleeves that had the potential for broken fingers as it was explained to me, the father, and the coach. With this being a non issue all year we were unprepared and the clock was wound and the rest is history. Devastation for the wrestler who wanted to give their all and wrestle. The official in question started his day off with the very first match before it even started by deducting a point for loose shoe laces on the mat that we were sitting beside. After the issue of loose sleeves and a match that was lost we went and got a tighter shirt. Upon returning we heard that this official had gone to the lead official and asked about the issue and was told that what she was wearing would have been fine. So we found the official that made the call to be sure that his approval was given for her new shirt and questioned him about his decision which came with a shrug. My beef is that with all the things that these kids go through we should treat officiating in a more professional way. Some of these guys treat it as their weekend extra money job while the majority are also lovers of this sport. Consistency is what all of these kids need for the whole year. Consistency by all officials on what they will call. Consistency so these kids have a chance to compete. There were many ways this issue could have been handled but hind sight is twenty twenty. My point is consistency, consistency, consistency so we all follow the rules year round not just at the end of the year and not just for certain officials.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Totally agree. We need consistency. And as a coach, I would have held up the entire tournament if need be, and had the "head official" come to the mat and make the call. Stand in the middle of the mat if you have to. Twice this year, we have had officials make very inappropriate statements to not only us, but also our wrestlers. Enough is enough. I like most refs, but some can be overbearing, stripe wearing, jack asses that are so "little" in their day to day lives, that they need to be "big bad" tough guys on the weekends. We also need to get rid of pansy refs who can't make a call to save their life! C'mon KHSAA, pay for some classes for Pete's sake! 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As a former official in TN and KY and a current Dad of 2 wrestlers, there are a couple of things that i would encourage regarding your discontent with wrestling officiating.

1. Get involved.  Get certified to officiate and call a couple of matches.  Show up to the meetings.  It's not difficult to do.  You simply go to a website, register, and take a test.  After that you are eligible to officiate matches.  The best way to drive change is to be proactive in the problem that you perceive.  Make your voice known to KHSAA administration and strive to make other officials better.
  2. If you don't want to be an official, get copies of the rules book.  The rules book is available for $5.99 on iTunes or from the NFHS.  There is also a case manual that can be had for the same price/method.  Read the rule book and understand the rules.  If you have questions ask your coach or an official at a tournament.  I can't tell you the times I had great conversations with parents/spectators.  Most simply want to understand and are receptive to questioning.

On to your issue at hand, i would point to the rule book:

SECTION 1 WRESTLERS’ UNIFORM

ART. 1 . . . Wrestlers shall wear:

a. a one-piece singlet cut no lower in the back or front than the level of the armpits and under the arms no lower than one-half the distance between the armpit and the belt line. If sufficient reason is determined by the referee, a tight-fitting, short-sleeved or sleeveless undershirt of a single, solid color unadorned with no more than one “manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference may be worn under the one-piece singlet;”

ART. 3 . . . Wrestlers shall wear light heelless wrestling shoes, reaching above the ankles. If the shoes have laces, the laces shall either be taped to the shoe or secured by a locking device on the wrestling shoe in an acceptable fashion.

Your statement said that the sleeves were loose and the official was worried about broken fingers.  Not being present or seeing pictures, I will say that if the official was airing on the side of safety of participants - you will lose that argument 10/10 times.  While it can be frustrating (my youngest son lost a match he was winning due to an illegal slam in the finals), safety comes first.  Especially with young wrestlers and especially at this time in the season.

NikeMan - delaying a match by protesting on the mat (as a coach or spectator) is a good way to get ejected from a wrestling competition.  Want to stay past your ejection? - The local police department will be happy to remove you.  I unfortunately had this happen in TN with an unruly parent in the late 90's.  The last call that I wanted to make, but the only one that I could.

I'm sorry to hear about the poor officiating you all received up North.  That being said, if the only issue you had with the official was the official enforcing proper wrestlers uniform, it sounds like you had a great day.  The officiating I have seen this year for my sons has been average so far (really slow to call stalling - on both my sons and other wrestlers!

Good luck to all the rest of the year.

• Upvote 1

Wrestledad, I would like to respond to your post criticizing the official yesterday for not allowing a wrestler to compete with a shirt with loose sleeves as well as penalizing a wrestler for shoe laces. Sir, there certainly are "by laws" as you say referring to these and other matters.  They can be found in the NFHS rule book. This is the same set of rules that are used in Kentucky for high school as well as middle school . You may feel that your wrestlers shirt is not an issue. Maybe she had been allowed to compete with it all season to this point, but the official was correct. The rule states "if sufficient reason is determined by the referee, a tight fitting, short sleeved or sleeveless undershirt maybe worn under a one piece singlet "

Obviously, a female would wear some shirt/sports bra under a singlet. It's commonly discussed during local wrestling officials association meetings, that means form fitting material such as under armor or compression type material. I can't explain why others have allowed it all season. But when someone enforces a rule directly from the rule book and has been the only one to do so, I see the lack of consistency coming in others lack of complying with the rules. Same goes for the shoe laces situation.  "laces shall either be taped to the shoe or secured by a locking device on the wrestling shoe in an acceptable fashion"  It is a technical violation when reporting to the scorers table not properly equipped or ready to wrestle or any equipment that is detected as being illegal. So, if shoe laces are not tied or properly secured, the rule is technical violation, 1 point for the opponent, start injury time. 

Nike Man, you say come on KHSAA, pay for some classes. I don't know if most folks realize the pay scale for officials. For an all day middle school tournament with three officials on three mats we make $160 dollars. More for high school. Here is my point. I agree there should be more consistency but that's the reason for now mandating a minimum number of rules meetings to attend to be eligible to do varsity matches. The newer guys are typically assigned to youth/middle school before doing varsity. The goal here is to discuss rules/situations so that everyone in an association are calling things the same. Consistency with certain holds, situations or rules. Point is no one does it simply for the money. It's not nearly worth it. Continually being questioned by coaches about any given close call. Dealing with parents yelling from the stands and sometimes mat side. It's a no win situation. Every officials goal SHOULD be to not even be noticed during a match and have all the focus be on the wrestlers. Are all officials great? Certainly not! But my whole point in this post is someone having a problem with a young man that upheld the rules. He is absolutely correct. If we want to say well, it's an undershirt or it's only shoe laces, then what other parts of the rule book really aren't important. 

Its black and white. Either a wrestler is within the rules or they aren't. The lack of consistency comes from the guys that either want to be a " nice guy" and just let it go because its only a shirt or the ones that just aren't professional enough to know the rules. That's just my opinion. Opinions are like something else, everybody has one. 

Bestmistake33,

Great reply. You posted yours while I was typing mine. Good points about getting involved. As you said, coaches are always welcome to attend our KWOA rules meetings for clarification on any rule, hold at situation. I would suggest attending a meeting in your area and asking the refs in your area their take or the shirt and shoe lace situations. Good luck the rest if the season. 

13 minutes ago, refdad said:

Wrestledad, I would like to respond to your post criticizing the official yesterday for not allowing a wrestler to compete with a shirt with loose sleeves as well as penalizing a wrestler for shoe laces. Sir, there certainly are "by laws" as you say referring to these and other matters.  They can be found in the NFHS rule book. This is the same set of rules that are used in Kentucky for high school as well as middle school . You may feel that your wrestlers shirt is not an issue. Maybe she had been allowed to compete with it all season to this point, but the official was correct. The rule states "if sufficient reason is determined by the referee, a tight fitting, short sleeved or sleeveless undershirt maybe worn under a one piece singlet "

Obviously, a female would wear some shirt/sports bra under a singlet. It's commonly discussed during local wrestling officials association meetings, that means form fitting material such as under armor or compression type material. I can't explain why others have allowed it all season. But when someone enforces a rule directly from the rule book and has been the only one to do so, I see the lack of consistency coming in others lack of complying with the rules. Same goes for the shoe laces situation.  "laces shall either be taped to the shoe or secured by a locking device on the wrestling shoe in an acceptable fashion"  It is a technical violation when reporting to the scorers table not properly equipped or ready to wrestle or any equipment that is detected as being illegal. So, if shoe laces are not tied or properly secured, the rule is technical violation, 1 point for the opponent, start injury time. 

Nike Man, you say come on KHSAA, pay for some classes. I don't know if most folks realize the pay scale for officials. For an all day middle school tournament with three officials on three mats we make $160 dollars. More for high school. Here is my point. I agree there should be more consistency but that's the reason for now mandating a minimum number of rules meetings to attend to be eligible to do varsity matches. The newer guys are typically assigned to youth/middle school before doing varsity. The goal here is to discuss rules/situations so that everyone in an association are calling things the same. Consistency with certain holds, situations or rules. Point is no one does it simply for the money. It's not nearly worth it. Continually being questioned by coaches about any given close call. Dealing with parents yelling from the stands and sometimes mat side. It's a no win situation. Every officials goal SHOULD be to not even be noticed during a match and have all the focus be on the wrestlers. Are all officials great? Certainly not! But my whole point in this post is someone having a problem with a young man that upheld the rules. He is absolutely correct. If we want to say well, it's an undershirt or it's only shoe laces, then what other parts of the rule book really aren't important. 

Its black and white. Either a wrestler is within the rules or they aren't. The lack of consistency comes from the guys that either want to be a " nice guy" and just let it go because its only a shirt or the ones that just aren't professional enough to know the rules. That's just my opinion. Opinions are like something else, everybody has one. 

Refdad if you would take the time to read and see what my point was about the issue instead of being insulted and thinking I am raking all officials over the coals then you could have saved yourself a little elevated blood pressure. I believe that there are rules in place for under shirts. The discussion should be about how to be CONSISTENT. FROM BEGINNING OF SEASON UNTIL END. NOT JUST AT THE END OF THE SEASON. Sir I have seen many great officials and respect many of them for their time and effort and see that it is a thankless job. Read before commenting. This needs to be a discussion on how to make it better for all. For the sport to be ruled and governed for all equally. Let the rules be enforced and known from day one and not waiting until the end of the season sir.

1 minute ago, refdad said:

Bestmistake33,

Great reply. You posted yours while I was typing mine. Good points about getting involved. As you said, coaches are always welcome to attend our KWOA rules meetings for clarification on any rule, hold at situation. I would suggest attending a meeting in your area and asking the refs in your area their take or the shirt and shoe lace situations. Good luck the rest if the season. 

Thanks! With the name of "RefDad", I think you are in the same boat as me.

It's been a big adjustment for me.  The last match i called was in 2004, but it still doesn't keep me from getting jumpy trying to make calls while I watch my kids!  I've seen some really really poor officiating in wrestling, but heck - I see poor officiating at all levels in all sports (instant replay is the worst idea even in the NFL) no one is perfect.

Wrestledad Trust me on this as a whole the officials are trying their best to get more consistent thru the whole state as to how we make our calls. Only in the last 6-7 years the officials in Ky for wrestling formed an association to work on getting the whole state consistent. With that being said when humans are involved there will always be some inconsistency on how some things are called because of the key words listed in any officiating rule book "in the judgement of the official". One thing I can guarantee an official never goes in to a match thinking let me see whose day I can ruin today. Just one more suggestion for your situation  that would've  actually been "for lack of better words" caught before she wrestled per the rule book any special equipment is to be brought to weigh ins to be checked by the official for legality purposes. Anything besides the singlet, headgear and wrestling shoes are considered special equipment meaning undershirts knee pads knee braces mouth pieces tights etc. Failure to do that the wrestler runs the risk of what happened yesterday. So my suggestion to you and anyone else if wearing anything other than the required uniform have it checked before wrestling begins to prevent that from happening.

Edited by heavy83
mispell

as per above.      

If I am not mistaken.  All extra uniform material (hair coverings and such) should be shown to the official at weigh ins.  At this point if the uniform is cleared then they will be cleared for the entire day.  

I feel for your problem with consistency, but that is the sport.  Some officials take 2 seconds for a 5 count for 3 near falls and some take 7 seconds. Some officials staling is called quickly and for some it is not.  Wrestling is mostly a judgment sport, consistency is always a problem.  

Weight / uniform / skin checks were completed the morning of. So when she reported to the mat should not of been the time an official decides to point it out and start injury time for it to be corrected, if it was an issue then if should of been addressed that morning during check-ins. What Wrestledad forgot to mention is the official literally told us when I brought her back to the same official to have the new shirt inspected was with Districts starting next week they are being more strict on calls that otherwise would go without notice earlier in the year. So WHY, why wait until the end of the year to enforce the rules? So was the official correct, yes, but with those words coming out of his mouth that makes him no better than the ones who didn't call it all season. Once you set a precedence with your calls you create a new standard.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, bestmistake33 said:

As a former official in TN and KY and a current Dad of 2 wrestlers, there are a couple of things that i would encourage regarding your discontent with wrestling officiating.

1. Get involved.  Get certified to officiate and call a couple of matches.  Show up to the meetings.  It's not difficult to do.  You simply go to a website, register, and take a test.  After that you are eligible to officiate matches.  The best way to drive change is to be proactive in the problem that you perceive.  Make your voice known to KHSAA administration and strive to make other officials better.
  2. If you don't want to be an official, get copies of the rules book.  The rules book is available for $5.99 on iTunes or from the NFHS.  There is also a case manual that can be had for the same price/method.  Read the rule book and understand the rules.  If you have questions ask your coach or an official at a tournament.  I can't tell you the times I had great conversations with parents/spectators.  Most simply want to understand and are receptive to questioning.

On to your issue at hand, i would point to the rule book:

SECTION 1 WRESTLERS’ UNIFORM

ART. 1 . . . Wrestlers shall wear:

a. a one-piece singlet cut no lower in the back or front than the level of the armpits and under the arms no lower than one-half the distance between the armpit and the belt line. If sufficient reason is determined by the referee, a tight-fitting, short-sleeved or sleeveless undershirt of a single, solid color unadorned with no more than one “manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference may be worn under the one-piece singlet;”

ART. 3 . . . Wrestlers shall wear light heelless wrestling shoes, reaching above the ankles. If the shoes have laces, the laces shall either be taped to the shoe or secured by a locking device on the wrestling shoe in an acceptable fashion.

Your statement said that the sleeves were loose and the official was worried about broken fingers.  Not being present or seeing pictures, I will say that if the official was airing on the side of safety of participants - you will lose that argument 10/10 times.  While it can be frustrating (my youngest son lost a match he was winning due to an illegal slam in the finals), safety comes first.  Especially with young wrestlers and especially at this time in the season.

NikeMan - delaying a match by protesting on the mat (as a coach or spectator) is a good way to get ejected from a wrestling competition.  Want to stay past your ejection? - The local police department will be happy to remove you.  I unfortunately had this happen in TN with an unruly parent in the late 90's.  The last call that I wanted to make, but the only one that I could.

I'm sorry to hear about the poor officiating you all received up North.  That being said, if the only issue you had with the official was the official enforcing proper wrestlers uniform, it sounds like you had a great day.  The officiating I have seen this year for my sons has been average so far (really slow to call stalling - on both my sons and other wrestlers!

Good luck to all the rest of the year.

Weight / uniform / skin checks were completed the morning of. So when she reported to the mat should not of been the time an official decides to point it out and start injury time for it to be corrected, if it was an issue then if should of been addressed that morning during check-ins. What Wrestledad forgot to mention is the official literally told us when I brought her back to the same official to have the new shirt inspected was with Districts starting next week they are being more strict on calls that otherwise would go without notice earlier in the year. So WHY, why wait until the end of the year to enforce the rules? So was the official correct, yes, but with those words coming out of his mouth that makes him no better than the ones who didn't call it all season. Once you set a precedence with your calls you create a new standard.

14 hours ago, refdad said:

12 hours ago, heavy83 said:

Wrestledad Trust me on this as a whole the officials are trying their best to get more consistent thru the whole state as to how we make our calls. Only in the last 6-7 years the officials in Ky for wrestling formed an association to work on getting the whole state consistent. With that being said when humans are involved there will always be some inconsistency on how some things are called because of the key words listed in any officiating rule book "in the judgement of the official". One thing I can guarantee an official never goes in to a match thinking let me see whose day I can ruin today. Just one more suggestion for your situation  that would've  actually been "for lack of better words" caught before she wrestled per the rule book any special equipment is to be brought to weigh ins to be checked by the official for legality purposes. Anything besides the singlet, headgear and wrestling shoes are considered special equipment meaning undershirts knee pads knee braces mouth pieces tights etc. Failure to do that the wrestler runs the risk of what happened yesterday. So my suggestion to you and anyone else if wearing anything other than the required uniform have it checked before wrestling begins to prevent that from happening.

Not sure if you had the shirt specifically inspected at weigh ins.  If you did then no matter what that official said she should have been allowed to wear it. 

If not.  C'mon its like saying "Hey officer I passed a police officer about 1 mile down the road doing 7 over the speed limit and he didn't say anything". 

Frustrating yes, but she should have gotten 5 minutes to report to the mat in correct uniform, or at minimum 1:30 of injury time to comply. 

What happens at most tournament wrestlers(male or female) don't bring their shirts knee pads to weigh ins and just wear them to the mat in doing that they risk being its illegal then a 1 pt tech violation and inj timeout is called. Which it falls back to either coaches not telling (or knowing) the rules to their wrestlers or wrestler not following either way the ref is not the bad guy because he enforces the rule.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, heavy83 said:

What happens at most tournament wrestlers(male or female) don't bring their shirts knee pads to weigh ins and just wear them to the mat in doing that they risk being its illegal then a 1 pt tech violation and inj timeout is called. Which it falls back to either coaches not telling (or knowing) the rules to their wrestlers or wrestler not following either way the ref is not the bad guy because he enforces the rule.

True, but also how many officials actually weigh in the female wrestlers?

As the coach of the subject wrestler I take most of the responsibility for the situation that happened Saturday. I am completely aware of the rules and failed to make corrections as needed. Officials typically do not weigh in our female athletes. it is usually a female parent that is willing to help us out. As a coach once weigh ins are over you just assume everyone is good to go. Our female wrestler has worn this same shirt since the beginning of the season and I really have not paid much attention to it. This situation was definitely a learning experience for myself, the wrestler and her parents. I don't disagree at all with the refs decision. I just wish this had been caught earlier in the season by other officials. Once you are one week away from post season you assume what you have been doing all year is OK. I know I have used ASSUME twice now. This is my third year coaching and all three years I have seen the rules more heavily enforced at the end of the season compared to the beginning. This is something I have come to accept and expect. Overall I have been happy with officials this year. I think KWOA is working hard to attract quality officials and bring consistency to our sport. In the end I have to agree with Wrestledad. I do see inconsistency throughout the year.

• Upvote 1

Again, I made this post for the sake of consistency. I am not placing nor do I want anyone to take blame. Coach, you have been nothing but fantastic to my wrestler for the past three years. When she made the decision to be on the team I did not know what to expect. I did not know how she would be received by everyone, especially coaches. The only thing that you should take the blame for is making her love this sport. You have been so good to her in every aspect. She has always enjoyed having you in her corner to give her guidance and to help her grow in the sport. Helping to get her mind straight and be more confident in her abilities. Picking her up after heart break on the mat. Showing her that "putting in the time" is more than showing up. There just aren't enough words that her mother and I could say to show how we feel about you and the entire wrestling family. What happened was a definite learning experience but the point should be for consistency in calls year round.

• Upvote 1

Every Coach is required to sign and return a copy of the KSWA by-laws. Those by-laws clearly state requirements for a shirt be it an under shirt or a shirt that is a part of a two piece singlet. As for shoe laces, that has been enforced for a long long time. My point here is don't just call out the refs for consistency, especially if you have consistently not followed the rules.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Excuse me Coach C,but who has consistently not followed the rules???? I don't even think you were there and do not know about the incident in which we are speaking of.I usually weigh in the females where I look at uniforms,skin,etc....I know the rules and didn't see an issue concerning this compression shirt.

You...or your daughter or niece or whomever we are talking about. Just because you get away with it doesn't mean your entitled. The same rules apply to everyone. Ryle was there in two piece singlets and none of them were penalized. That's because they know the rules and followed them!!

By the way...I was there.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, She Beast said:

Excuse me Coach C,but who has consistently not followed the rules???? I don't even think you were there and do not know about the incident in which we are speaking of.I usually weigh in the females where I look at uniforms,skin,etc....I know the rules and didn't see an issue concerning this compression shirt.

By-law MS14 Rule#6

6. Wrestler uniforms shall consist of a singlet. Singlet is defined as a full compression uniform whether it is one piece or 
two. Failure to comply will result in forfeiture of the match. (Added September Fall Meeting 2016)

Coach C,No one was trying to get away with anything here.Really wasn't an issue  with the compression shirt that was worn under the singlet of a female wrestler.Same compression top always worn.Never an issue before so we really didn't think of it as an issue.The post here is about consistency and how it should be handled as fair as possible for everyone involved so please do not say that anyone was trying to get away with anything. I respect the by laws and every aspect of wrestling.There will always be things that need improvement and this is one of those things we are discussing. 

• Upvote 1