Chris Duke

Middle School Ranking 1-8-17

Yesterday told us a lot.  Walton will be hard to beat with all their solid lower weights.  Ryle and Union have the depth to scare them just not sure if it will be enough.  Carr has a ton of fire power and will also be in the mix.  

With Campbell Co sitting as the number 1 school team and Twenhofel #6 the Region 3 tournament will be tough and some kids that deserve to make the tournament will be sitting home.  

One final update after Districts and with any luck Ranger will put together his preview.

Middle school rankings 1-8-16 update.pdf

Middle school rankings 1-13-16 update.pdf

Hunter Jenkins fifth grader mccracken

Won the Ft Campbell middle Tournament and runner up at Christian county middle behind lampe 5-3  very close match  

He's beat durbin twice this year.

Number 1 district seed  

Bluegrass national runner up and Illinois Dog Fight Champion this weekend. Looking solid. 

I was able to put some kids in their weight class.  Union has moved ahead of Walton in the club race.  We could see 10 champs between the 2 clubs.  Another update will come Sunday.  

What about Courtney Pittman she beat Joel Hatchett in the 130? Placed 3rd in youth state tournament 2016 and has dropped to 121 for states? But we see someone entered into rankings from Scott that everyone is trying to figure out where they came from.

If Track is going to be used to rank these kids then they all should be entered into track when they start in middle school or else all of their history is lost.

13 minutes ago, Wrestledad said:

What about Courtney Pittman she beat Joel Hatchett in the 130? Placed 3rd in youth state tournament 2016 and has dropped to 121 for states? But we see someone entered into rankings from Scott that everyone is trying to figure out where they came from.

I asked for results more than once on here.  Step up send me some results or sit back and enjoy the show! It is a lot of work Facebook stalking, searching different states on track, or bugging coaches for results!  This is the end of the year and how many times have you helped? The only way this works is when people help. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Wrestledad said:

He beat the same kid as Courtney finished higher at youth state last year and wrestled Dalton Russelburg to a 4-2 loss at the Bearcat Brawl.  It's always nice to name drop kids she beat what about the losses?  We can't over look those.

You have done a great job with rankings all year. Everyone waits for them weekly. Just trying to get my wrestler some notice. She has been pretty good the last couple of years. Wrestled Pittman from Woodford last year in youth districts and lost by one or two points to finish second. This is my point. If you are a new parent and don't see what needs to be said then how is it accurate?

6 hours ago, Wrestledad said:

You have done a great job with rankings all year. Everyone waits for them weekly. Just trying to get my wrestler some notice. She has been pretty good the last couple of years. Wrestled Pittman from Woodford last year in youth districts and lost by one or two points to finish second. This is my point. If you are a new parent and don't see what needs to be said then how is it accurate?

Rankings are never going to be perfect, especially at the middle school level where trackwrestling isn't a requirement like it is in high school.  Tournaments held with no info released to the public, many kids wrestling high school, and lots of teams wrestling only regionally so not many head to head head matchups occurring between some top kids, makes all this an imperfect science.  

You mention 2016 youth state results....really at this point, last years youth state means very little for 2017 middle school rankings.  Youth state is a nice, fun tournament, but the way it's set up, with no qualifier, and random pairings in brackets, it's not the most competitive tournament out there.  It's nice to win, but isn't a key performance indicator, especially with a whole, current MIddle school body of work to review.

The good news is that rankings will become very clear in a few weeks.

• Upvote 2

Not sure why you want the "notice"?   I for one would not want my kid ranked, why put a bulls eye on there back.  Better to be the unknown that comes into the tourney and surprises everyone because they are not gunning for you.  

I hope when Grandchild goo gets going I never see his/her name in the rankings.  

Don't worry to much about what is on here (rankings), just have her wrestle the person in front of her, don't tell her his/her name and do your thing. 

good luck. 

goo out. 

I agree with goo.  Nothing is better than having your wrestler underestimated, I also thinks it gives them an incentive to push a little harder to get there.  It won't matter in 3 weeks anyways, it'll all be settled on the mat.

• Upvote 1

I disagree. If my kid is not ranked #1 I will throw a temper tantrum  and yell and scream at someone. 

On a serious note, rankings are fun for discussion and to give everyone a good idea who the best kids are and where others stack up. Rankings aren't highly important, but they are meaningful for a lot of people. While I would hope my kids or those I coach wouldn't get overly excited over being ranked too high or low, I wouldn't say I hope they never get ranked. Given the information available these days That is likely a sign they aren't having much success. 

I love the rankings and appreciate the time and effort Duke puts into it. Like Ranger did the past several years, someone stepped up and grabbed the torch. Without these rankings, there's not much discussion about Middle School wrestling. It is just a vessel to help get the names out of some promising wrestlers working hard. In a sport that doesn't give participation ribbons and gives you bloody noses, the kids that get ranked do enjoy the shout out. As for Rangers kid being ranked 1st all year, it has been done because he's a coaches kid. Duke didn't want his Dad sad!!(insert sarcasm) Little Ranger is a hit man dressed up like a 75 lb choir boy!!!

On 1/15/2017 at 11:04 PM, Ranger123 said:

I disagree. If my kid is not ranked #1 I will throw a temper tantrum  and yell and scream at someone. 

On a serious note, rankings are fun for discussion and to give everyone a good idea who the best kids are and where others stack up. Rankings aren't highly important, but they are meaningful for a lot of people. While I would hope my kids or those I coach wouldn't get overly excited over being ranked too high or low, I wouldn't say I hope they never get ranked. Given the information available these days That is likely a sign they aren't having much success. 

OK I wouldnt say never but a middle of the pack would be good.  

On 1/10/2017 at 4:36 PM, KyWrestlingFan33 said:

Hunter Jenkins fifth grader mccracken

Won the Ft Campbell middle Tournament and runner up at Christian county middle behind lampe 5-3  very close match  

He's beat durbin twice this year.

Number 1 district seed  

Bluegrass national runner up and Illinois Dog Fight Champion this weekend. Looking solid. 

He did get beat in districts ended up getting 3rd

15 hours ago, REscalera said:

OK I wouldnt say never but a middle of the pack would be good.  

This is probably more accurate for me also, but if they never showed up It really wouldn't bother me either. As long as they tried hard and were good sports about it. 

The way I view the rankings are.

Top 5 are probably the contenders for the state title. 

6-15 are contenders for placement 4-8.

All the rest are the state qualifying underdogs nipping at the others heels for a placement at the state tourney.